Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 03-21-2022, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

The chances of an alienware laptop from 17 years ago having a working video card are rare. Lol. discrete graphics cards in laptops always crap out.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:02 AM
Fire Giant

My issue isn't from being old though, as opposed to hawk(op). My comp is brand new and has this issue.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:10 PM
Sarnak

No, I didn't get it worked out yet. Other life issues pushed this little project to the back burner but I'm still interested in finding a solution. I'll dig back into it sooner or later.

BTW, my old GPU runs just fine. It's actually a beast for games of it's era. My issue is the drivers (at least I think)

Plz keep me updated if you figure anything out Chokan. I'll do the same.
Old 03-22-2022, 02:16 PM
Fire Giant

Ok, I figured this out. Get the NVidia control panel program.

Open that up, go to "Manage 3D Settings"

Go to "Program Settings" tab

Click "Add" on the Select a program to customize

Select Everquest (eqgame.exe)

on #2, select "High-performance Nvidia processor"

Apply/save, not sure what's there since I already did it.

This fixed the models, no other changes needed.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:37 PM
Sarnak

Congrats on the solution. Unfortunately for me, my version of nvida control panel doesn't have the high performance nvidia processor option. It's a clue at least. If anyone has idea's, I'm all ears.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:59 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Send a message via MSN to Rabcor

Actually i thought of another potential solution, you could try using DXVK.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...vk_on_windows/

It's basically what they use on linux to play windows games, it translates directx to vulkan, it's actually how i'm running the game from linux as well; but as it happens you can use it on windows too, does the same thing, it might actually solve your problem.

For this to work though you need a gpu that supports vulkan (which means you need recent gpu drivers, it's possible drivers for a 17 year old laptop were updated with support for vulkan, nvidia does maintain a few legacy drivers for such cases, but it might not solve OP's issue because of age)

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok, I figured this out. Get the NVidia control panel program.

Open that up, go to "Manage 3D Settings"

Go to "Program Settings" tab

Click "Add" on the Select a program to customize

Select Everquest (eqgame.exe)

on #2, select "High-performance Nvidia processor"

Apply/save, not sure what's there since I already did it.

This fixed the models, no other changes needed.
Ah, yeah what oyu did was tell your drivers to run this game on your dGPU instead of your iGPU, so maybe the problem was that the game actually wasn't running on your dGPU.

It's a bit odd though because your iGPU should be more than enough for a game this old unless you're on a really old (maybe even pre-2007) laptop.

Edit2:

Here's my guess, the problem with Chokan was that the game was runing on the iGPU and the iGPU did not have enough memory dedicated to it which resulted in textures and models being missing.

The problem with Hawk is that he too is using the iGPU, and it doesn't have enough RAM dedicated to it either resulting in the same problem, but with a 17 year old laptop it could be that the iGPU is not powerful enough for the game in the first place.

One solution is to enter your laptops BIOS and configure the iGPU to have more memory dedicated to it (I think EQ only requires like 64mb though,, usually the minimum ram for an iGPU these days is 32mb, but for an older laptop it might be 8 or 16mb)

But the probably preferable solution is to find a way to make it run on your dGPU instead like Chokan did, at least assuming the dGPU works. I assume on a 17 year old laptop you'll be using Windows XP. I don't remember how they allowed you to configure a game to run on a specific gpu back then, it was new technology back then, i remember on some systems you are able to right click on the executable and tell it which gpu to run on, there is some good news though.

Everquest does have a setting that allows you to configure which gpu you use. Right after launching project 1999 if you click options and get htat options window that comes up outside the client, first thing you should get is a prompt to select which GPU the game will use.

Try using that to switch between the iGPU and dGPU.
Last edited by Rabcor; 03-26-2022 at 05:12 PM..