Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 04-18-2022, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This really isn't a unique experience to any melee with a fungi and that level of twink gear. Almost any 100k twink will hold down a "full group camp". This is p99, that isn't an impressive mteric anymore.
I think we're really talking about 51+ here, when twinking pretty much comes to a hard stop for the majority of melee classes. Rangers/SK both suffer from a lot of downtime, unless you like fear kiting which sucks. Pallies ability to calm, root, and helm/bp heal just gives them the edge by a mile if you're trying to do solo dungeon type stuff. The only close competitor I'd say is a monk.
Old 04-18-2022, 01:24 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How am I ruining group comps? I will re-iterate my points for people interested in how the game works. You do no appear to be interested in an actual discussion, or care about how the game works.

1. Paladins/Shadowknights are generally superior as tanks for leveling groups. For a large portion of players on P99, this is the vast majority of their play time. Their utility and snap agro are better than a Warriors. In leveling groups mobs die so fast it doesn't really matter how your DPS composition is set up, and you don't need disciplines of any kind. If the majority of players truly cared about min/maxing DPS in group scenarios, under-geared players would never be allowed to group. This clearly isn't the case.

2. Shadowknights specifically are superior to Warriors in groups where pulling is an important aspect. Fungi Tunic camp is a perfect example. You would always pick a Monk or Shadowknight in a Cleric/Enchanter/XXX trio. You need the extra pulling power, you don't need disciplines, and DPS doesn't matter that much.

3. Warriors are superior to hybrids in any tanking situation that needs disciplines, whether this is solo, group, or raid. This is why Shadowknights are generally the worst raid class. They have no good disciplines, and they don't even have Divine Strength or SoulFire like Paladins. On P99 life taps are nerfed, and guilds aren't interested in doing the Harm Touch spamming strategy. Guilds also do not use SKs for pulling.

Making a blanket statement like "Warrirors are always better" is just wrong and unhelpful. As I mentioned earlier, I agree with Keebz that if you are a player that worries about changing their mind about a character later on down the road, Warrior is the safest bet. They get more useful as they progress, whereas Paladins and Shadowknights always have a certain level of usefulness, but never surpass the overall potential of a Warrior.

Hopefully OP responds to this thread at some point, because we may be able to determine what his end game goals are (if any). My assumption has been he doesn't care too much about end game, because he doesn't raid. But I don't know for sure, it is just an assumption.
I agree with this class description. I wish to roll a warrior but have no platz to make a twink warrior. I want to group primarily, so my playstyle favors a paladin, rather than min maxing at the raid level.