Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 06-27-2022, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually come to think of it the size of the moon in the sky varies a LOT based on it's phase and it's proximity to the horizon.
Fun fact, the moon doesn't change size at all when it's on the horizon, that's the visual-spatial associational areas in your brain literally magnifying it in post-production for some god damned unknown reason.

Next time, hold your thumb up to a moon low on the horizon that looks large. Then hold your thumb up to a normal moon. You'll find they are pretty much the exact same size.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Over 100 thousand million stars in the Milky Way Galaxy, and an estimated 100 billion planets. And 200 billion trillion stars in the Universe. It's fuckin bananas to try to wrap your brain around. I don't want to say it's coincidence that the angular size of the sun and moon are the same, because that word doesn't do it justice. And it's not entirely true.

Since both the earth and moon are on orbital paths, the apparent size of the sun and moon varies, which is why you get varying degrees of eclipse's (partial, total, and annular)

I went to Wyoming with a bunch of photography nerds for the 2017 total eclipse that pathed across America. Here's some photos they took.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Every taken hallucinogens and stared up at a cloudless, moonless night sky without any noise pollution? Horrrry shit. Probably the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had.

Still blows my mind that they are so similar it takes a telescope to truly observe the difference. I haven't mixed hallucinogens with a dark night sky in a low light-pollution area yet. On my bucket list for sure.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fun fact, the moon doesn't change size at all when it's on the horizon, that's the visual-spatial associational areas in your brain literally magnifying it in post-production for some god damned unknown reason.

Next time, hold your thumb up to a moon low on the horizon that looks large. Then hold your thumb up to a normal moon. You'll find they are pretty much the exact same size.
I'm not sure that's true, although our brain certainly does a lot of post-processing automatically. However the light from the moon or the sun is being bent by the additional atmosphere it has to pass through to reach you that vantage point. This is also why sunsets look red. However I was wrong to say this would only apply to the moon, it obviously also applies to the apparent disc of the sun.

Still, the moon and sun are different sizes in the sky, just very close. There are undoubtedly other planetary systems in the universe where this is the case, so while it may seem a miraculous coincidence to us, it's almost certainly common. We are handicapped by only having access (outside of telescopes) to our own solar system when it comes to determinig the rarity of things and events in the universe.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now, I don't believe some bearded old man is up in the clouds governing our fates, and I don't believe he sent Jesus to Israel to save only a small fraction of humanity.
Small fraction of humanity? He was sent to save us all and showed us the way back home. He did this in how he lived and loved everyone, even those who murdered him. His life he lived and death he faced was our lesson. To show us how to live and how to not fear death. He was sent here for all of us, Not just a small niche group.

Sadly organized religion have pimped Jesus' name out and given him a bad name. He loves you and everyone else here more than words can even begin to explain.

Enjoyed that wall of text though, Lune. Thanks for sharing! NDE are pretty fascinating to read about.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Last edited by Evia; 06-27-2022 at 03:18 PM..
Old 06-27-2022, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Small fraction of humanity? He was sent to save us all and showed us the way back home. He did this in how he lived and loved everyone, even those who murdered him. His life he lived and death he faced was our lesson. To show us how to live and how to not fear death. He was sent here for all of us, Not just a small niche group.
Agree to disagree on that point buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sadly organized religion have pimped Jesus' name out and given him a bad name. He loves you and everyone else here more than words can even begin to explain.

Enjoyed that wall of text though, Lune. Thanks for sharing! NDE are pretty fascinating to read about.
Truth. Organized religion in the US could have learned a lot from Jefferson and his bible. IMO the definitive text on Christ because it omits pretty much everything that wasn't the words, teachings, and actions of Christ himself.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:12 PM
Banned

Yep dying.

And I couldn't go through with it for a quick death. So it's slow and agonizing.

Dying for an honorable cause is probably the most noblest and meaningful use of our pitiful lives.

We are born to die. Doubt I will ever see Valhalla.

G-d bless.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:27 PM
Sarnak

Default life

Old 06-27-2022, 11:14 PM
Planar Protector

Old 06-28-2022, 12:07 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Agree to disagree on that point buddy.
There's nothing to disagree about. You are wrong and he is right according to the Bible which would be the only reasonable reference on the subject. Where did you learn that Jesus only came to save some?
Old 06-28-2022, 12:33 AM
Planar Protector

Default calvinism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Where did you learn that Jesus only came to save some?