Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:11 PM
Large Rat

Default Old timer thinking of coming back?

I used to play on Tholuxe Paells. I think then it merged into Bertoxxulous? I actually was in a Korean Guild, because of my work(night shifts hospital respiratory therapist). Right now waiting on IP Exemption, so both me and my wife can play together. We actually went ahead and tried the Phinigel server. It was ok? Alot of boxing and finding groups seemed to be a pain. We have both regular EQ and Project1999. I played a little(on P1999) on the it and I was really shocked at how friendly ppl were on it. I told her I thought we may be better trying it. It's saves us 30 dollars a month, but heck we would donate that if we liked this better(I think we will). I really like groups that aren't a lot of ppl boxing.

I was just wondering a few things? Is this server going to last? I just would hate to play for a few months on it, then it close down. Does donating help keep it going?

I loved playing a cleric and would like to play it again. Of course you need a group and that's why I left EQ. It ended up boxing alot(4 accounts) and once they added mercs we left. I played cleric/shammy and she played warrior/ranger. I actually got a 5th account and I played BL as well lol. It ended up just us grouped together. I loved the old EQ when a group of 6 ppl camped an area and talked bs half the night. The question I was wondering is this server like that?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Sarnak

The server has been up and running for something like 6 or 7 years now, so it's unlikely to go away unless the Devs just get tired of supporting it. However, Velious is as far as they've said they'd take it, so there is unlikely to be any expansions past Velious released.

Low-level, the server is very much as you remember EQ. People group regularly (most need to). You get put on wait lists for groups (which can take hours to just get into one). There are "normal" progression zones where you'll find the highest population, but if you have a small group there are a lot of other zones that can be really good since they aren't heavily populated.

Around high 40s the game starts to change a lot, though, as you begin to enter the end-game, which is very saturated with players. This is the one area where stopping at Velious is going to just continue to get rough, as the amount of content up through Velious really isn't enough to satisfy the player-base at end-game. However, until you get there, I think you'll find the game is very reminiscent of EQ back in 1999.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah there can be long waits, but depends where you hunt. There are usually ~1200 on at peak times, so can get a little crowded in dungeons etc. Yeah no multi-boxing here, before p99 all we had was PEQ as the big thing, 2000+ peak but a lot of camps were just boxed.

It's not as crowded here as live the first year or two, but it's still very active and likely will be for the foreseeable future. There is no real competition to p99 blue, apart from maybe another blue/green server at some point starting from the beginning again (being more authentic next time around). That's a wait and see, and likely won't kill this server or anything like that, and not for some time.

I used to solo my cleric quite often on live, at least a third of the time (by choice). Never had problems getting groups though, and more or less the same here for clerics. Yeah, people talk too much, need more killin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywolf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no real competition to p99 blue, apart from maybe another blue/green server at some point starting from the beginning again (being more authentic next time around). That's a wait and see, and likely won't kill this server or anything like that, and not for some time.
While I agree I don't foresee anything killing p99 blue, there are other servers out there trying to reproduce a very similar timeline of EQ while staying equally as authentic to their respective timeline.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by am0n [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While I agree I don't foresee anything killing p99 blue, there are other servers out there trying to reproduce a very similar timeline of EQ while staying equally as authentic to their respective timeline.
Perhaps, but I've been on the emu since the beginning (not speaking of P99 but the emu in general (10yrs+ now or something?)) and have seen many new servers rise and decline. PEQ and P99 have been the staple servers for the emu, both running years with a stable population - PEQ declining quite a bit once P99 launched.

Though for me, pre-pop is far more interesting compared to the instant gratification slide which began to unfold once pop was released on live (allow me to stick my snout up in the air a moment here hehe). Easy travel, easy soloing, then easy instancing, oh the wonders of failure [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok who put baby formula in my hard-core?
But yeah, like the new latest thing, which is pop era or whatever? give it time, it'll move the way as the others have done, FoB.
(edit: which is fine, as long as you are having fun, some people like fresh new servers etc.)

But yeah, OP, if you liked the classic style of EQ, that's what's mostly going on here so should be good to go. The progression development was a little rough, but it's mostly ironed out at this point.
Last edited by Daywolf; 01-05-2016 at 10:46 AM..
Old 01-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Large Rat

Thanks for the info!!! We are just waiting now for the IP Exemption so we can play together and give it a try.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Large Rat

Thanks for the info! Just waiting for IP Exemption so wife and me can play together.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:32 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmccloud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I loved playing a cleric and would like to play it again. Of course you need a group and that's why I left EQ. It ended up boxing alot(4 accounts) and once they added mercs we left. I played cleric/shammy and she played warrior/ranger. I actually got a 5th account and I played BL as well lol. It ended up just us grouped together. I loved the old EQ when a group of 6 ppl camped an area and talked bs half the night. The question I was wondering is this server like that?
Exactly my thoughts as well. I just returned today for the first time on p1999 and haven't played equipment in over 10 years.

I made a high elf cleric, still level 1, thats how new I am. I see lots of people running around, but haven't grouped yet. Imho, p1999 feels waaaay better than the ftp version which I tried earlier this week.

OP, let me know if you want to group with another cleric. I'm usually online after 9pm pacific time.
Closed Thread