Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 07:44 PM
Aviak

Default Server Connection Issue

I am hoping someone smarter than me can be my savior...

I was playing last night (or early this morning to be more accurate) just fine. Logged out, hit the sheets, and now I am back in black. I am getting stuck on a blank, black screen after choosing my server to connect to and hitting the "PLAY EVERQUEST" button. All I have is a moveable EQ-style arrow cursor. I cannot ALT+TAB out, ALT+ENTER for windowed, and CTRL+ALT+DEL only allows me to restart computer as accessing task manager doesn't work (still cannot get out of the blank, black screen to see it). I have done nothing different to log in than I have for more than a decade of playing on Project1999.

I made sure I have all the latest drivers, etc. I have rebooted, repatched, but have not done a full reinstall yet. I am using a Dell G7, 2.6GHz Intel i7 (6core) with 16GB RAM. GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060. Loads of storage left unused.

My EverQuest directory is independent of Program Files. My full-screen resolution in game is 1280x720 and native resolution is 1920x1080.

I am not sure what changed, but boy I sure would like to get it fixed and back online. I greatly appreciate any help.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:05 PM
Sarnak

OccasionallyI have similar issues. What has fixed these for me is to reboot your router/modem and your computer as well. May take a second or third refresh of your systems.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:06 AM
Aviak

Tried rebooting my internet connection and routers; no cigar.

So I backed up my character config files, reinstalled Titanium, repatched, and was able to get in game. I adjusted my resolution in game to match what it was before (so I could paste over my character UI configuration files). I logged out and replaced the new character config files with my backed up ones. That seemed to have messed it up again and I couldn't get past the blank, black screen after choosing server. I rebooted, deleted my character configuration files and the eqclient.ini and was able to get my character in world again finally. However, when I sat/camped the screen froze on another blank, black screen as it tried to switch from game to interface...

It seems something is wrong with either my character's UI files or the eqclient.ini or both. Should I copy/past them here for revew?
Old 06-05-2020, 09:57 AM
Aviak

Any luck resolving? I am having the exact same issue. I created a thread for it but your explanation of the issue does a much bette job. I tried a fresh install and new patch files and did not work.
Old 06-05-2020, 12:42 PM
Sarnak

I've had similar stuff happen recently too. The wiki and message board also struggles to load consistently. I can get stuck on the server select going to spinning, from spinning to entering the world and any time I zone - they all leave me with the high probability of getting a black screen or frozen game. When I ctrl alt delete, the game shows as not responding within a few seconds. Have adjusted a lot of crap and updated everything I can think of, nothing changes it. I even went from wireless to direct ethernet connection.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:48 AM
Aviak

https://youtu.be/7a6FUubxVkk Ended up being the best way to mitigate the issue.