Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 10:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm signed in, but there's no delete tab for me. All I have is Page / Discussion / Edit / Move / Watch.
Huh, how strange. I just deleted it, but I really didn't think that required admin status to do [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:19 AM
Planar Protector

Only admins can delete pages for good reason.
1. In case someone griefs the wiki by making bad edits before an admin catches them and deletes the proof.
2. So people can't grief the wiki by deleting useful or many pages.

As much as I've wanted to be able to delete pages such as ones I've created that turned out fruitless or a mistake. It's a far better system to tag the page for deletion and contact an admin to remove the page. This prevents a lot of griefing on the wiki.

Further reading for those interested https://wiki.project1999.com/Articles_For_Deletion

Quote:
Do Not Take It Personally / Be Tolerant Of Others
Advice to live by [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 05-29-2020 at 04:22 AM..
Old 05-29-2020, 11:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Only admins can delete pages for good reason.
1. In case someone griefs the wiki by making bad edits before an admin catches them and deletes the proof.
2. So people can't grief the wiki by deleting useful or many pages.

As much as I've wanted to be able to delete pages such as ones I've created that turned out fruitless or a mistake. It's a far better system to tag the page for deletion and contact an admin to remove the page. This prevents a lot of griefing on the wiki.

Further reading for those interested https://wiki.project1999.com/Articles_For_Deletion

Advice to live by [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Huh, guess I still have some wiki learnin' to do myself! Having had admin privileges for so long (for other reasons) I forgot deletion was part of the shtick.

... also apparently I now have homework (a category of pages to review for deletion) [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:28 PM
Aviak

Any reason multiple WIKI pages were blanked by a user named SuckIt?
Old 05-29-2020, 07:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any reason multiple WIKI pages were blanked by a user named SuckIt?
Yes: the reason is that someone out there is very immature [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I have blocked that user and reverted the 10 changes they made (well, 9; good job Azerakiss for fixing the Zones page). In the future if anyone observers similar "wiki vandalism", please PM me (or if you forget who I am, just start a post about it and I'll likely see it).

Old 05-30-2020, 01:52 PM
Sarnak

Next question: For maps with multiple levels (like Najena) the mob /loc is incorrectly displayed if it's not on the main level. A good example is the Dark-Boned skeleton, which I thought was in the room with next to the TTs near the entrance to the dungeon proper when it's actually downstairs near Officer Grush, or in the Jail with Moosh. Would it be better to have the correct /loc, but incorrect placement on the map, or incorrect /loc but actually reflect where the mobs are on the map?

Personally, I'd rather have the latter as I don't use the locs to try and actually locate the mobs, but I wanted to see before making those kinds of edits.
Last edited by Sabin76; 05-30-2020 at 01:54 PM..
Old 05-30-2020, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Next question: For maps with multiple levels (like Najena) the mob /loc is incorrectly displayed if it's not on the main level. A good example is the Dark-Boned skeleton, which I thought was in the room with next to the TTs near the entrance to the dungeon proper when it's actually downstairs near Officer Grush, or in the Jail with Moosh. Would it be better to have the correct /loc, but incorrect placement on the map, or incorrect /loc but actually reflect where the mobs are on the map?

Personally, I'd rather have the latter as I don't use the locs to try and actually locate the mobs, but I wanted to see before making those kinds of edits.
So, there's two issues. First, in order for any level of any zone to show an X on the map, that zone/level has to be "loc mapped". Not every zone is, and for the multi-level zones, not every level is. If you'd like to "loc map" a zone/level, the wiki has instructions.

But then even if a zone/level is mapped, if it's a multi-level zone, and the mob is not on the first/ground floor, the mob's loc needs to say what level it's on: otherwise the wiki will assume the mob is on the first floor. I tried to write the code to be as accommodating as possible and work with any reasonable language wiki editors might use, so (for instance) you can say "0th level" or "basement" or "underground":

Code:
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 0, 'th') || containsAny(text, 'basement', 'underground', 'tunnel')) return levels[0];
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 1, 'st') || containsAny(text, 'one', 'first', 'ground')) return levels[1];
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 2, 'nd') || containsAny(text, 'two', 'second')) return levels[2];
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 3, 'rd') || containsAny(text, 'three', 'third')) return levels[3];
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 4, 'th') || containsAny(text, 'four', 'fourth')) return levels[4];
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 5, 'th') || containsAny(text, 'five', 'fifth')) return levels[5];
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 6, 'th') || containsAny(text, 'six', 'sixth')) return levels[6];
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 7, 'th') || containsAny(text, 'seven', 'seventh')) return levels[7];
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 8, 'th') || containsAny(text, 'eight', 'eighth')) return levels[8];
      if (containsAnyNumber(text, 9, 'th') || containsAny(text, 'nine', 'ninth')) return levels[9];
But that still leaves the question: for a multi-level zone, if a mob has no level specified, what's the best thing to do? We could just show an error, but then any mob on the first level (which tends to be the most populated level) wouldn't work even though it could.

Instead, I opted to assume every mob was on the first level, but then that leaves mobs on 2nd+ floor showing up wrong ... until someone adds their level to their loc.

Since the ultimate goal is to get every mob's level in their loc, so that you can see where every mob is, and since defaulting to level 1 lets lots of mobs work without extra editing, I figured that was worth the cost of some 2nd+ level mobs showing a misleading "X" (in a way that's a "feature" that encourages wiki editors to add levels to mob's locs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

But it does have a cost (of some mobs showing up wrong), so I admit it's not perfect and I'm open to suggestions.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. Specifically in the Dark-Boned Skeleton's case, we have the main/ground level of Unrest "loc-mapped", but we do not have the other levels mapped. In addition, the DBS has three locs, and none of them have any level info (eg. "34% @ (560, -63) 2nd floor, 34% @ (662, 28) basement, 34% @ (538, -54) basement").

For the wiki to show the DBS correctly someone needs to loc map the other levels, and add the levels to the DBS's three locs. Until someone does that, the wiki has two options (that I can see): not show DBS's "X" on the map ... but also not show the X for any 1st-floor mob in Unrest, even though we can ... or show a confusingly incorrect "X" and hope someone is irritated by it enough to do what I outlined above [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Admittedly neither option is ideal.

P.P.S. And don't forget: up until a few months ago (when many volunteers helped me "loc map the zones") the wiki had zero Xs for any mob in any zone. So just keep in mind also that this is a relatively new feature, and even with quirks I think it's a lot better than having to use your finger on the map to find the loc, as you had to before.

Last edited by loramin; 05-30-2020 at 02:23 PM..
Old 05-30-2020, 11:07 PM
Sarnak

I would not be against helping you locmap the other floors of this dungeon and get those locs corrected. Perhaps when I don't have so much Lagunitas Imperial Stout in me...
Old 05-31-2020, 01:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I would not be against helping you locmap the other floors of this dungeon and get those locs corrected. Perhaps when I don't have so much Lagunitas Imperial Stout in me...
That's awesome, except ... I just noticed something:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There's no numbers on those coordinates, so there's no way to "loc map" it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] To add those numbers someone would need to run around the zone to those places, using /loc to mark the coordinates of various points, and then use that data to add numbered "loc lines" (like the main map has) ... or someone would need to find a new map, with locs on it.

Closed Thread