Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilena [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think having a DKP system would have really changed any of this. Whatever can be said of officer loot distribution in PS... The majority of the officers are also the core of the raid force. Attending pretty much every raid would result in higher DKP anyway unless they are just constantly spending it picking up items (which doesn't seem to be the case).

Also to my previous comments about loot... Certainly if you have unlimited bodies to kill any given target the loot distribution matters less. More dps/healers is likely more effective than better geared dps/healers. When numbers are limited though it seems like having gear based improvements where it matters most has the biggest potential impact. *shrug*
if numbers are limited, its a recruiting issue.

examining your loot policy may help with that
Old 05-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I don’t think PS does much active recruiting. I found it because I grouped with someone’s alt (who has logged on like twice since he told me I should consider it...). I’m pretty sure that’s how 95% of the people I’ve seen join have done so. There is... not much content we can’t do solo - and we do team ups when appropriate for that content.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshot444 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Correct me if im wrong but Paradigm Shift as a guild was founded because of Loot dispute, not unlike this one. Where they or we all loot whores? where they or are we crying about loot. In this Way you Can see things go full circle i am sure Sheys? can respect the irony.
You're wrong. Paradigm Shift wasn't formed over loot drama. Some of the early core of the guild left Ill Tempered Sea Bass after the guild leader (Shea) threw one too many tantrums including an epic meltdown in ToV that saw half the guild disband on the spot after he began accusing members of being "Taken spies" when we bumped up against a scheduled Taken HoT raid.

The guild today has no connection to events from 2.5 years ago outside of maybe half a dozen active players that were in ITSB together.

If you wanna drink the Shea/Fountree crazy Kool-Aid have fun with that tho.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

I love the whole "spy" thing. What are these secret agents learning? Raid strategies that have not been thought of in the past 17 years? Death timers with two quakes/mo creating a short window when every mob dies ? What are these closely guarded secrets ?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:05 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonkie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Now you are just talking nonsense. If you recruit a bunch of plebs the amount of loot required to keep the masses from revolting increases and there is less loot to spread between the officer alts.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilena [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Now you are just talking nonsense. If you recruit a bunch of plebs the amount of loot required to keep the masses from revolting increases and there is less loot to spread between the officer alts.
did i pass the bar?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroP99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I heard that's the core of PS was kicked from ITSB for being Taken spies and then when Taken/Rampage merged they would not let you guys join in order to keep the secret - Only at that point was PS formed. Pretty pathetic/sad if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I heard this from a couple ppl in the know as well
laughter.jpg
Old 05-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Sarnak

This is my first post to an RnF thread.

I have been on this server for several years now (since mid-late Kunark), played both hardcore and casually in a number of guilds (such as Indignation, Super Friends, Radiant), done a decent job gearing my main in that time, and several months ago joined PS when I came back to P99 for a stint (I had found a number of my former guildies tagged in PS).

Although I am in PS, I am not (and will never be) part of the core, regular player base, mostly because of work and life demands and, frankly, the fact that I have been playing P99 long enough that I only enjoy the game in smaller doses at this point, so only a small percentage of my free time goes to P99. Having said that, I believe that I have had the opportunity to see the innerworkings of PS, including its culture and officers' administration of loot council.

Frankly, the culture is pretty damn sane. I have found it to be a fine place for a dusty old shadow knight to spend his semi-retirement--where he can see all of the end-game content and play as little or as much as he likes in a relatively relaxed environment. On behalf of the guild, I have seen officers take the high ground a number of times when the guild finds itself in tough spots--for instance, by teaming up with other guilds to avoid train/petition-fests or conceding a mob out of an abundance of caution. I have never heard an officer berate a member on TS3 or in guild chat. Yes, here and there a critical comment will be made when things are not going swimmingly, but the comment will be constructive and made in a calm voice or, in the case of guild chat, a matter-of-fact, unmalicious style. I do not consider myself to be "friends" with any of the officers or, honestly, the vast, vast majority of the members, but I have found the bulk of PS folks to be levelheaded and to possess a healthy dose of perspective.

As for loot council, I really have not kept track of the officer-member distribution of items during my couple of stints on P99 since joining PS. But, nothing has struck me as outrageous or piggish. I do know that the officers have made detailed posts in the members forums explaining their loot council process and inviting comments and questions on general and particular loot decisions. I do know that I have seen phenomenal items go to both core and casual/new players. Case and point for the latter: I was awarded my first piece of loot in PS the other day, a beautiful 41% haste two-hander off a ToV dragon. Maybe it was contested, maybe it was going to be alt fodder, who knows/cares? But, it was a nice gesture, and more than a few officers and members alike took the time to congratulate me via /tell over the next day or so, despite my residence at the relative margins of the guild and my very-recent return to active playing.

I guess what I am getting at is that I have seen the gamut of raid guilds come and go since mid-late Kunark--and been part of a couple of them--and PS is really just its own thing, and a pretty quality thing at that, particularly by P99 standards. Its not perfect for everyone, but it is solid and fitting for a fair number of someones. Coming from a fairly fringe PS member with little to gain or lose in the guild by what he says, some of the demonization here seems--based on my experience with PS--sensationalist at best and, well, dishonest at worst.

-Greevtox/Orremis
Old 05-01-2018, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is my first post to an RnF thread.

I have been on this server for several years now (since mid-late Kunark), played both hardcore and casually in a number of guilds (such as Indignation, Super Friends, Radiant), done a decent job gearing my main in that time, and several months ago joined PS when I came back to P99 for a stint (I had found a number of my former guildies tagged in PS).

Although I am in PS, I am not (and will never be) part of the core, regular player base, mostly because of work and life demands and, frankly, the fact that I have been playing P99 long enough that I only enjoy the game in smaller doses at this point, so only a small percentage of my free time goes to P99. Having said that, I believe that I have had the opportunity to see the innerworkings of PS, including its culture and officers' administration of loot council.

Frankly, the culture is pretty damn sane. I have found it to be a fine place for a dusty old shadow knight to spend his semi-retirement--where he can see all of the end-game content and play as little or as much as he likes in a relatively relaxed environment. On behalf of the guild, I have seen officers take the high ground a number of times when the guild finds itself in tough spots--for instance, by teaming up with other guilds to avoid train/petition-fests or conceding a mob out of an abundance of caution. I have never heard an officer berate a member on TS3 or in guild chat. Yes, here and there a critical comment will be made when things are not going swimmingly, but the comment will be constructive and made in a calm voice or, in the case of guild chat, a matter-of-fact, unmalicious style. I do not consider myself to be "friends" with any of the officers or, honestly, the vast, vast majority of the members, but I have found the bulk of PS folks to be levelheaded and to possess a healthy dose of perspective.

As for loot council, I really have not kept track of the officer-member distribution of items during my couple of stints on P99 since joining PS. But, nothing has struck me as outrageous or piggish. I do know that the officers have made detailed posts in the members forums explaining their loot council process and inviting comments and questions on general and particular loot decisions. I do know that I have seen phenomenal items go to both core and casual/new players. Case and point for the latter: I was awarded my first piece of loot in PS the other day, a beautiful 41% haste two-hander off a ToV dragon. Maybe it was contested, maybe it was going to be alt fodder, who knows/cares? But, it was a nice gesture, and more than a few officers and members alike took the time to congratulate me via /tell over the next day or so, despite my residence at the relative margins of the guild and my very-recent return to active playing.

I guess what I am getting at is that I have seen the gamut of raid guilds come and go since mid-late Kunark--and been part of a couple of them--and PS is really just its own thing, and a pretty quality thing at that, particularly by P99 standards. Its not perfect for everyone, but it is solid and fitting for a fair number of someones. Coming from a fairly fringe PS member with little to gain or lose in the guild by what he says, some of the demonization here seems--based on my experience with PS--sensationalist at best and, well, dishonest at worst.

-Greevtox/Orremis

Well said. Hit the nail right on the head.

PS really is a great group of level headed folks. I enjoy the light-hearted chat in both /gu and teamspeak.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
did i pass the bar?
Yes. You are now a young lawyer. Please use your powers for good.
Closed Thread