Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 01-24-2023, 12:24 PM
Sarnak

TLDR: No you cannot solo stuff like seb crypt unless maybe you’re gonna do it as a challenge type of deal with lots of hassle, consumables and whatnot.

I honestly have no idea who pays 700k+ for an Earth Staff. It’s not worth it unless that is your one p99 goal: To have a mage Epic. Even then I’ll bet you’ll be feeling pretty empty afterwards.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even then I’ll bet you’ll be feeling pretty empty afterwards.
Yup ... vs. every other "magic pixel" one can acquire on P99 ... all of which leave you feeling so fulfilled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:10 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yup ... vs. every other "magic pixel" one can acquire on P99 ... all of which leave you feeling so fulfilled [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh. Some items open up for new options and alter how you play without 8283993hrs of camping hate. E.g. Jboots, goblin gazhugi ring, several of the other class epics, fungi tunic, jbb etc
Old 01-24-2023, 04:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eh. Some items open up for new options and alter how you play without 8283993hrs of camping hate. E.g. Jboots, goblin gazhugi ring, several of the other class epics, fungi tunic, jbb etc
Z heart
Old 01-24-2023, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We use to do it to slow vulak faster, but thats pretty niche
Yeah thats just a raid consumable.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:16 PM
Fire Giant

People have brought up some good points. The epic pet mostly just lets you solo the same stuff faster/easier than before. It isn't just a vanity item however, it is definitely a step up from the other pets. You don't need it though, focused air or water pet is just fine. The biggest advantage is being freed from the struggle of summoning a max level/hit pet. If you're looking for an epic for solo play it's not really worth the cost or time investment as others have said.

The epic is more of a raid upgrade really...even as just a stat stick. Having an on demand 67 Max hit pet is the other real benefit. If you are a serious raider than it may be worthwhile to you, it's one of the best pieces of kit you can get, albeit an expensive one. Sadly because of game balence Mages really need clickies and kit to be relevant in raiding.

I recommend going after a Manna robe and Z heart instead, these are must haves for Mages in my opinion. I haven't worn my epic much since getting my Z heart, it's just so good. Both of these items are cheaper than an Earth staff plat or dkp wise. Getting some MP Regen to go along with it is even better.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 01-24-2023, 06:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People have brought up some good points. The epic pet mostly just lets you solo the same stuff faster/easier than before. It isn't just a vanity item however, it is definitely a step up from the other pets. You don't need it though, focused air or water pet is just fine. The biggest advantage is being freed from the struggle of summoning a max level/hit pet. If you're looking for an epic for solo play it's not really worth the cost or time investment as others have said.

The epic is more of a raid upgrade really...even as just a stat stick. Having an on demand 67 Max hit pet is the other real benefit. If you are a serious raider than it may be worthwhile to you, it's one of the best pieces of kit you can get, albeit an expensive one. Sadly because of game balence Mages really need clickies and kit to be relevant in raiding.

I recommend going after a Manna robe and Z heart instead, these are must haves for Mages in my opinion. I haven't worn my epic much since getting my Z heart, it's just so good. Both of these items are cheaper than an Earth staff plat or dkp wise. Getting some MP Regen to go along with it is even better.
All that is fluff, all that matters on raid side is can you quad mage? if you cant you are failing your 1 job. the rest bots can do.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:48 PM
Kobold

thanks a ton for the advice everyone!

Why would a manna robe + Z heart matter so much for a mage? It's not like we are pumping out nukes...is it to cast a bunch of COTH's?

Do the pets actually do decent damage against a raid target? Seems like with Vindi it can be middling, which is nothing to sneeze at
Old 01-25-2023, 12:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thanks a ton for the advice everyone!

Why would a manna robe + Z heart matter so much for a mage? It's not like we are pumping out nukes...is it to cast a bunch of COTH's?

Do the pets actually do decent damage against a raid target? Seems like with Vindi it can be middling, which is nothing to sneeze at
For the fights where it can be used sure, vindi, kt, statue, aow. Lot tho it is more of a hindrance and not advised to use a pet in general. Mages are better served kiting trash away.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can’t always use a pet with a raid. It depends but sometimes they can be used.

A 52 hitting focused water on Vindi does 39 dps. A 60 hitting water does about 47 dps. Both with muzzles. That seems low but it’s about middle of the pack if you are considering casual raiders of varying levels/classes/gear.

There is a bit variance with PC’s but my rocksmasher 60 pally with VoG today did 49 dps. Not full attack buffs but another middle-performer this time.

Rip is right though. For raids quick and vocal coths, and DA training. That’s the mage life.