Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 02-09-2023, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not my understanding of damage bonus. I understand damage bonus as adding to the damage dealt, effectively increasing the player's minimum hit. So a 14/25 remains a 14/25, but at 60 the bonus adds a flat 11 more onto every swing the player makes. Damage bonus for 1H is a fixed value, so it inherently favors fast weapons, and it is most effective against high AC enemies where normal hits tend to skew low. As such the player should only see hits for 1 with kick or the off-hand weapon. Looking at it another way, Wurmslayer gets a bit under two-thirds the benefit from the damage bonus as Earthcaller does on account of Wurmslayer's slow delay.

2H damage bonus scales with weapon delay.
I will admit that I am still a little fuzzy on the exact maths for damage bonus. I got my current information from this post:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...91&postcount=4

Based on my own data, when my Monk went from level 39-40, his max damage increased from 147 to 160 using Imbued Fighters Staff (38/40). This is when the damage bonus goes from 4-5.

I don't believe the damage bonus simply adds a flat value onto the final number. That wouldn't account for the full 13 damage increase. I didn't change my STR significantly between that level range either, nor was I STR buffed. This is a 2h weapon, and 40 is a big level, so I am not sure if there are other factors to be considered.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...=ranger+weapon

Cecily broke down lot of weapons and how long time ago

Edit this is based at 60 with cap stats , no one cares what you use at 40, outlier is cek sword parses better in normal ac situations compared to kriezen flame for me.
Last edited by Ripqozko; 02-09-2023 at 07:58 PM..
Old 02-09-2023, 08:40 PM
Planar Protector

I did a bit of maths based on my max hit and the EQEMU code. Note this is with an Imbued Fighters Staff:

Level 31
======
Base Damge = (38 Weapon Damage + 2 Damage Bonus) X ((165 Offense + 135 STR + 67 STR from Buff) / 100) = 146 rounded down.
2H Damage Bonus = 2 + ((31 level - 25) / 3) + ((40 delay - 40) / 3) = 4 rounded down.
Level Bonus = ((31 level - 30) / 5) + 1) = 1 rounded down.

Max Damage possible = 151.

Max Damage in my logs = 147.

Level 40
======
Base Damge = (38 Weapon Damage + 5 Damage Bonus) X ((210 Offense + 139 STR) / 100) = 150 rounded down.
2H Damage Bonus = 2 + ((40 level - 25) / 3) + ((40 delay - 40) / 3) = 7 rounded down.
Level Bonus = ((40 level - 30) / 5) + 1) = 3 rounded down.

Max Damage possible = 160.

Max Damage in my logs = 160.

This seems to be the correct formula, as it matches my current numbers.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 02-09-2023 at 08:47 PM..
Old 02-10-2023, 12:55 AM
Fire Giant

I will say if you face tank, the slower speed/higher dmg of the Wurmslayer is good for attrition. It is very noticeable swapping between Wurmslayer and something like Seb Dirk, for example.

For just DPS against a raid mob though, faster main hand is generally better. One confounding factor, however, is at 15 weapon dmg, the min hit becomes 2 instead of 1, so a >= 15 dmg weapon gets an extra edge over a <= 14 dmg weapon.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:05 AM
Planar Protector

Lucy's has the updated melee table. The dmg bonus is accurate by the weapons I've checked using crit/melee subtraction.

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/dmgbonus.html?setcookie=1

Main hand: 2xdmg + dmg bonus / Delay
Offhand: 2xdmg/ Delay

You should probably always use a factor of less than 100% for the offhand as it's not a 1/1 swing ratio to the MH (even with capped DW skill). I usually do like 80% just because.

In general 2h with a far better ratio would scale ahead of DW from like 30 to 50 unless you had amazing 1h's. 2h has always been competitive due to the available ratios but now with the scaling bonus it's just next-level.

Not to say DW isnt solid, or cant be. You're just going to work very hard to keep up. Any goofball who can loot a 1.15 ratio 2h out of ToV can keep up with very good DW setups. Those 2h's tend to be much cheaper dkp too. Outside raiding I'm not even sure a near 1/1 ratio weapon parses that badly compared to say a SboZ and Swiftwind at 60, if you have really good haste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For just DPS against a raid mob though, faster main hand is generally better. One confounding factor, however, is at 15 weapon dmg, the min hit becomes 2 instead of 1, so a >= 15 dmg weapon gets an extra edge over a <= 14 dmg weapon.
Yea there are some odd weapons like the Blam Stick which calculate out only slightly worse on low AC stuff to a SBOZ. That quick math though is pretty good way to compare two mainhands. Compared to parsing for like 20 mins.
Last edited by Snaggles; 02-10-2023 at 01:09 AM..
Old 02-10-2023, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Nevermind, Danth is correct for 1h weapons at least, the main hand damage bonus looks like it is just getting added on at the end as a flat number.

My 58 Shadowknight is hitting for 132 max with https://wiki.project1999.com/Eye_of_the_Rigtorgn . He has 226 STR and 220 Offense. He also has 2 Aura of Battle items + Grim Aura. So 226 + 220 + Attack bonuses? ~40 = 4.86 x 25 Weapon Damage + 11 = 132 rounded down.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nevermind, Danth is correct for 1h weapons at least, the main hand damage bonus looks like it is just getting added on at the end as a flat number.

My 58 Shadowknight is hitting for 132 max with https://wiki.project1999.com/Eye_of_the_Rigtorgn . He has 226 STR and 220 Offense. He also has 2 Aura of Battle items + Grim Aura. So 226 + 220 + Attack bonuses? ~40 = 4.86 x 25 Weapon Damage + 11 = 132 rounded down.
Imagine us posting the formula like 8 times already and it took you this long, max hit doesn’t matter as much as overall dps, that’s why we use the formula for mainhand to find what to go with swiftwind.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine us posting the formula like 8 times already and it took you this long, max hit doesn’t matter as much as overall dps, that’s why we use the formula for mainhand to find what to go with swiftwind.
There's no harm in testing stuff out. You really have nothing better to do than follow other people around and post lol. I feel sad for you.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's no harm in testing stuff out. You really have nothing better to do than follow other people around and post lol. I feel sad for you.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

The formula is pretty solid. it mainly helps with deciding what to use and what to bid on when raiding. Comparing 1h to 2h is a bit iffy but you can kind of squint and get there.

Rangers it’s a bit confusing because access to 40% attack/25attack offhand is extremely easy. Going 2h is a bit weird and there are only two good ones outside Sleepers. If you can get one though it’s most likely better or on par with any BiS DW combination. There are some mobs where performance varies, or the stats or needed, or random chance puts one setup ahead of the other. But just plunk math on raid targets a cek or shovel is hard to beat reliably. Casting between swings, no damage shield or enrage woes is very nice.

Basically:
Get Swiftwind.
Hope to get a SEOC someday for nerd cred/utility/solo if not 60
Aim to get a SBOZ
Aim to upgrade to a solid ToV primary OR 2h.
Collect other stuff as people boggle to figure out why you are investing so much effort into a ranger.