Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 PM
Kobold

Uninstalled Avast!, same problem.

Can now download files from p99.

Character select is still the same.

I re-re-downloaded eqchanges13.zip and now everything works fine.

Looks like it was Avast!

[edit] Uninstalling Avast! and rebooting my pc and re-downloading eqchanges13.zip solved my problems. I do not have a solution if you wish to keep Avast! on your computer though.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Sarnak

I ran into the same problem and figured out it was Avast as well. I was able to log in this morning just fine. I tried logging in after work today and got the missing files message at the character select screen. After halting the real time File System shield allowed me to get past the character select, and halting the Web Shield allowed me to download eqchangesv13.zip. It looks like the new wsock32.dll was flagged as infected in the latest definition update, and that's what was stopping me from connecting.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Ok got it fixed, it's yalls antivirus snagging the wsock32.dll out of the everquest folder before you can execute the program, in my case it was avast antivirus, which was not complying with it's exemption list so I just uninstalled avast (AFTER TELLING IT TO RESTORE THE WSOCK32.DLL). So essentially, go to your antivirus chest on whatever prog you are using, tell it to restore the wsock32.dll back to the EQ folder, then either disable or uninstall the antivirus prog, restart computer and bam you're back in business. good luck yall
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[edit] Uninstalling Avast! and rebooting my pc and re-downloading eqchanges13.zip solved my problems. I do not have a solution if you wish to keep Avast! on your computer though.
It's kind of absurd for me to even post here, because everything I try is such a complete stab in the dark, but I have avast AND p99 installed and running at the same time right now. I made two changes, and I don't know which is responsible for fixing the problem, or both together, or neither (maybe the false positive reports people are sending in fixed it).

Under Settings, then Exclusions, I have checked Everquest. (So Program Files\Sony\Everquest\* is excluded.)

Under Real Time Shields, Behavior Shield, Expert Settings, Trusted Processes, I have added Program Files\Sony\Everquest\eqgame.exe.

Anyway, anyone who knows me at all in real life would die laughing if I were to tell them that I did all this random stuff, decided that I'd fixed a computer problem, and then written a post to explain it to others. Actually, I probably wouldn't get past the announcement that I'd made a post on a forum called "Technical Discussion"...

Anyway, I really do wish everyone luck. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahlia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyway, anyone who knows me at all in real life would die laughing if I were to tell them that I did all this random stuff, decided that I'd fixed a computer problem, and then written a post to explain it to others.

Quoted for truth <3

Swishahouse Swishablast
Luminary of 57 Spirits
Junglist
Bard of 16 Anthems
Pokeball Flinger
Old 09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Orc

Same problem here, adding to exception list did nothing, turning off antivirus shit and redownloading .13 did nothing, anyone have any more ideas for me?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Kobold

i removed avast completely and it worked, not sure what i will do for virus protection at this point lol