Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 08:46 AM
Sarnak

Default Tough call..

I was reading the thread on whether to add a new server yesterday morning and could see both sides of the argument.

On one hand you don't want to split the player base so you end with one or two ghost town servers down the road. A vibrant and bustling community makes EQ great. Competition for camps and loot is part of EQ. Higher pops make people spread out and go to less popular zones.

On the other hand I created an alt this week and ran through Nekulous one night and barely saw a living mob. I was in Befallen and had a full group sharing one third of a camp. This will only get worse when you hit certain level ranges. By today's standards xp is slooowww and it will be even slower when you are only able to kill a much more limited number of mobs per hour.

One way or the other, I applaud the devs for thinking about this and taking action. I don't know if they did the right thing or not...time will tell. But their action shows their commitment to providing what they believe is the best experience possible for the community.

Again I would like to thank them for their dedication and efforts. This last week has just been a blast and the most fun I have had gaming in years.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:55 AM
Orc

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke68 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I applaud the devs for thinking about this and taking action. I would like to thank them for their dedication and efforts. This last week has just been a blast and the most fun I have had gaming in years.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Planar Protector

There is no downside to this! There are only two continents with content on it and that is not enough for 2k+ players. It is perfect, however, for 1k-1.2k. The population will drop, but not like some people seem to think. When Kunark is released, that continent has so much more room, that they could merge them back together at any time at that point. This is a good thing!
Old 11-02-2019, 09:00 AM
Planar Protector

They said they'll merge the servers when it seems appropriate (presumably because of population dip or population spreading out enough). If they do that, it's probably a can't-miss strategy. The newbie and lowbie zones aren't overcrowded breaking the spirit of the casual folk. The higher zones won't be so sparse that there aren't groups to be had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is no downside to this!
It seems like it's 80% pro and 20% con to me. The 12+ hours a day that are off-peak might be a bit thin with a split, and the overcrowding WAS forcing some people off the beaten path to see some more of Norrath.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-02-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Old 11-02-2019, 09:02 AM
Sarnak

Server population is perfect off peak! Hopefully the offpeak player base remains as there is no need to move.
Evilbaa Thesheep
Scoutbaa Thesheep
Stoutbaa Thesheep
<Infernus>
Old 11-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They said they'll merge the servers when it seems appropriate (presumably because of population dip or population spreading out enough). If they do that, it's probably a can't-miss strategy. The newbie and lowbie zones aren't overcrowded breaking the spirit of the casual folk. The higher zones won't be so sparse that there aren't groups to be had.

It seems like it's 80% pro and 20% con to me. The 12+ hours a day that are off-peak might be a bit thin with a split, and the overcrowding WAS forcing some people off the beaten path to see some more of Norrath.
I am not sure where you get the 12 hr off peak time, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would say the off peak for this server is more like 8am - 2pm mon-fri. That is when I notice the severe population drop. That would mean in a perfect world, 500 per server during off peak hours. I think that's near perfect!

It's 9:30am on a Saturday afternoon and there are 1,271 players online. That's insane already, and with this new server being released today, this weekend is going to see record breaking numbers!
Old 11-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am not sure where you get the 12 hr off peak time, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would say the off peak for this server is more like 8am - 2pm mon-fri. That is when I notice the severe population drop. That would mean in a perfect world, 500 per server during off peak hours. I think that's near perfect!

It's 9:30am on a Saturday afternoon and there are 1,271 players online. That's insane already, and with this new server being released today, this weekend is going to see record breaking numbers!
8 am to 2 pm? https://unixgeek.com/eqemu.html

I'll agree 2 pm is about the start of peak hours, but the server drops off hard starting at 1-2 am, not 8 am.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:01 AM
Planar Protector

Anyone mention ask if /move could be done as often as you like? Why not just make it like, bluegh its camped here lets go to teal, or bleugh everyone that was toxic transfered lets go back to green now or bleugh lulz is here steeling my decayed skellies etc etc
Old 11-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone mention ask if /move could be done as often as you like? Why not just make it like, bluegh its camped here lets go to teal, or bleugh everyone that was toxic transfered lets go back to green now or bleugh lulz is here steeling my decayed skellies etc etc
because that would be an instance?
Old 11-02-2019, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
because that would be an instance?
what are we doing this for tho, to simulate a classic server selection screen or make room for players?
Closed Thread