Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Orc

Default Too many crashes...

Whatever happened last patch is killing me. Its a high chance that every time I zone, game will crash. Its a high chance that every time I alt-tab out, the game crashes.

I'm beyond furious as I type this. I want to play the game but this is literally causing me to walk away.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:48 AM
Planar Protector

Move the contents of your logs folder to a back up folder.

Move texture.txt from your main eq folder to a back up folder.

Try moving your eqclient.ini to a back up folder.

If it happens for one particular character try moving the UI_[charactername]_[server].ini file to a back up folder.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 05-12-2021, 11:51 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoff1975 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whatever happened last patch is killing me. Its a high chance that every time I zone, game will crash. Its a high chance that every time I alt-tab out, the game crashes.

I'm beyond furious as I type this. I want to play the game but this is literally causing me to walk away.
I'm with you.

At first I thought it was something to do with my VPN. Turned that off, still crashing.

Then I thought it might be my HDD. Move to my SSD, still crashing.

I'm cancelling my subscription [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-12-2021, 12:20 PM
Large Bat

Same here!! It's very very sadly unplayable right now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-12-2021, 12:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Move the contents of your logs folder to a back up folder.

Move texture.txt from your main eq folder to a back up folder.

Try moving your eqclient.ini to a back up folder.

If it happens for one particular character try moving the UI_[charactername]_[server].ini file to a back up folder.
Ya usually when updating you only want to take the files.. not the subfolders cause if you did any changes it will usually be reverted if the UI folder is replaced and then who knows what kind of dependencies are pissed.

If you are getting Red Text in your Chat Window when you log in. You should get a new UI or fix the one you are using.
Old 05-12-2021, 12:53 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya usually when updating you only want to take the files.. not the subfolders cause if you did any changes it will usually be reverted if the UI folder is replaced and then who knows what kind of dependencies are pissed.

If you are getting Red Text in your Chat Window when you log in. You should get a new UI or fix the one you are using.
Soo perhaps a fresh install and only unzip the latest patch? I've been boxing on green and blue, green rarely crashes but blue crashes everytime I zone
Old 05-12-2021, 01:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontheripper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Soo perhaps a fresh install and only unzip the latest patch? I've been boxing on green and blue, green rarely crashes but blue crashes everytime I zone
Yes exactly that is the easiest way to know but ya you lose all your preferences if it is the issue but ya make a backup then you trial and error the issue by just adding what you had til you find what the issue is.

Green doesn't allow any other folders but default and velious in the UI subfolder so it sounds like ya its a UI issue but that could also be a settings issue in your individual .ini files too but if you use a different UI on blue then could be that UI or its .ini files for those individual characters.

I think the issue is mainly with this dependency so I made a velious folder with zero dependencies and I don't really crash anymore.

Also: Kind of Important.

in EQClient.Ini the UISkin=velious setting is hard locked on blue and green. You can change this on your characters individual UI, and it will change it in the EQClient.ini after you change it in your Characters. But it will revert on exit of the game, then you will load the UISkin=velious on load of the server from your EQClient.ini, then load the UISkin=custom skin from your UI_character.ini .

So ya, knowing this, if you have discrepancies, you will have issue.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontheripper [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That said, Keep a fresh install handy just to take files from and trial and error with that template.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:16 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the issue is mainly with this dependency so I made a velious folder with zero dependencies and I don't really crash anymore.
What do you mean that you made a velious folder with zero dependencies? Can you explain that a bit more?

As far as UI, I am using the duxaui, but I changed to the default and it didn't seem to change anything.

Are you saying that we should ensure that the UISkin in both the eq.ini should match the particular character UISkin?
Old 05-12-2021, 03:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptull [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you mean that you made a velious folder with zero dependencies? Can you explain that a bit more?
Clone the Default folder. Put all of the Velious folder inside of it, replacing everything it needs to. Rename that cloned Default folder to Velious. There are still things that depend on default either way but that is the stuff that is for the main screen etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptull [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As far as UI, I am using the duxaui, but I changed to the default and it didn't seem to change anything.
Try same thing, just clone default, put duxaui in it, replacing everything. Then use Duxaui.

Quote:
Are you saying that we should ensure that the UISkin in both the eq.ini should match the particular character UISkin?
EQClient.ini will change to UISkin=velious every time no matter what you do every time you start the server. So your Character Select Screen etc is running from the velious folder no matter which server you are on (If you are not using just straight default, but that is not what this setting does as things were backwards in Titanium like this..) but obv you are forced to use Velious on green but that kinda in itself almost fixes that issue.. Green to me runs better because it streamlines this a bit.

If your individual character.ini has UISkin=Duxaui it will only use Duxaui when you are on that character and when you log out to character select, but when you exit the game and start the server back up it will change your EQClient.ini UISkin= back to velious. This I think is why every time I camped id crash, but only part of why as I still get it on some characters and I haven't figured out why quite yet but its there (rare rare, could be my bad)

So either way, maybe change your duxaui to velious.. Always back up your shit obvious but try maybe cloning default, putting duxaui into default, replacing everything.. then rename the default to velious.

I think it is a Client thing, not so much a P99 or EQEmu thing, more the client just originally defaulted the velious ui as the secondary so if you stay within that naming structure I think it helps the client run between loads/camps etc a lot better.
Last edited by Shawk; 05-12-2021 at 04:03 PM..