Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-26-2021, 12:49 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Vintage PC Build for P99

So I’ve been toying with the idea of building a vintage pc for classic gaming for some time now. I think I’d like to build one to primarily play Project 1999 for that classic feel, but I’m curious what specs everything thinks might work well. I know that windows 98 won’t work based on some Direct x issues I’ve been reading on other threads. So the machine will need to run xp, and I am leaning towards a P3 450mhz and maybe a GeForce 2 MX because these are the same specs I had on my original EQ machine (Or maybe I even had a riva tnt2 ultra originally I can’t quite remember).

Do you think this might run P99 fine? I know P99 runs off the titanium eta client so the required specs are definitely different than original original EQ. The other question is the resolution I’ll be running the game at. I lack the desk space to run a second monitor to have an OG CRT monitor so I’d prefer my 1080p lcd. There’s no way these specs would run EQ at 1080p, so maybe I either increase the specs on the build or bite the bullet and get an old monitor or see if my screen will run at a lower resolution? Anyone have some thoughts?
Old 04-26-2021, 10:20 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Why though?
Old 04-26-2021, 10:30 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Well the primary benefit is to play p99 like I did as a teenager, but also to use the same machine to play some older games that aren’t compatible with newer windows (or even dual boot with a win 98 drive. The same argument can be made for why would you play classic video games on an original console when you could just emulate
Old 04-26-2021, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah a GE force 3 and pentium 3 is going to be your best bet.

I had the weirdo setup, an AMD thunderbird 1ghz and a Voodoo 5 5500 as the foundation of my year 2000 peak gamage, and before that had a weaker p3 rig.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Cool idea
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 04-26-2021, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe you’ll be able to get Lionhead’s Black and White to run which doesn’t on modern PCs.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 04-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Planar Protector

Don't think this is recommended. P1999's custom lighting seems to be a massive resource hog and the client runs dramatically slower than regular unmodified Titanium does, which is already slower than classic EQ circa 1999-2001. No point using classic hardware if you aren't running classic code on it--you won't get era-appropriate performance.

Danth
Old 04-26-2021, 02:05 PM
Fire Giant

Its a cool idea but performance will prob be unbearable with how p99 client is
Old 04-26-2021, 02:15 PM
Sarnak

I was at Costco a couple days ago looking at the TVs. I have room for a four foot wide monitor. Not classic but still the same game but BIGGER.
If you want to get that classic feel, go for it. I'm pro-choice on some things.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:08 PM
Fire Giant

It works, just have to know what you are doing.