PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: FFA server PvP mechanics

Nirgon
03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Source (http://web.archive.org/web/20010905102949/http://www.users.qwest.net/~fcarmen/faq.htm):

Rallos Zek (PVP) FAQ
Assembled by Inkantra Inkandesence

CONTENTS

1. General Questions
2. PvP servers and rules
3. Life on Rallos Zek
4. Unanswered Questions

1. GENERAL QUESTIONS

Q: What is a FAQ?
FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Rallos Zek?
Rallos Zek is an Everquest server. It is different from the other servers in that it allows players to attack and kill each other. Rallos Zek is also the name of Norrath's God of War.

Q: What is PVP?
PVP is an achronym for Player Vs Player. It is the name given to combat between players.

Q: Should I turn in my book to the Priest of Discord?
There is no need to turn in the book you start with. On Rallos Zek everyone starts out with their pvp flag on, automatically. The book is only there because it would require extra code to have it removed.

Q: How old is Rallos Zek? Is it a "mature server"?
Rallos Zek was the first of the four pvp servers. It was available during beta 2, before Everquest went live. It has a mature economy and there are planes raids. Veeshan's Peak has been visited on this server.

2. DIFFERENT SERVERS AND RULES

Q: Are all three pvp servers alike? (Tallon Zek, Vallon Zek, Rallos Zek, Sullon Zek)
No. Tallon Zek and Vallon Zek have the same rules as eachother and are referred to as "PVP TEAMS" servers. Rallos has a different rules set and is sometimes called the "Free for all" server. Sullon Zek is a diety alliance server.

THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY TO RALLOS ZEK ONLY

Q: Can I attack anyone? Who can attack me? What about pets?
Any player can attack any other player who is within 4 levels of them, be this 4 levels higher or lower. Pets can only attack within the level range of their master. The only exception is one cannot participate in pvp until level 6 (unless the youngster visits an arena or accepts a duel).

Q: How do I tell if a player is within the above 4 level pvp range?
The /con system works differently on players on Rallos Zek. Anyone within your pvp range will /consider white. Anyone below the pvp range will be green, anyone above your range will be red. There are no blue or yellow con players.

Q: How do I loot a player? Can I ninja loot? What if I die by a mob, can I be looted?
When a player is killed by another player… the player who dealt the killing blow is the only one that may loot. There is no ninja looting. Players that are killed by mobs, non-player dots, pets, falling, etc. CANNOT be looted by other players.

Q: Can people loot my armor? Can I take bags full of loot? What about no-drop items?
When a person right-clicks to loot a player they automatically take all coin the person had on them, and they may also choose one item from the dead player's inventory.

This item may NOT be:
1. A container
2. Inside a container
3. In one of the hand-held / range / ammo slots (ie. Weapons, steins, shields, bows, arrows, while equipped, are not lootable)
4. No drop
5. Lore, if the looter already possesses one of the same item.

A player can only lose one item per death.

Q: Do I lose exp if someone kills me?
No. If a character gets the final blow you will not lose exp. However, if a player wounds you down to a sliver of life and a mob gets the final blow you WILL lose exp. In addition, many things on Rallos Zek such as drowning, dots, and falling, do not cause exp loss.

Q: Are there any safe places where I can't be killed?
The only safety is for level 5 and below. There are no safe areas. Literally speaking, no. PvP can occur in any zone. However, guards you have high faction with will provide some safety, (if your attacker has less or equal faction as you). Players still can and will use ranged tactics to kill players without alerting friendly guards.

Q: Can I kill someone over and over? What are the play nice rules for pvp?
All general play nice rules apply on Rallos as well, but Verant enforces some special rules concerning pvp. Generally speaking, the customer service person has to see a player commit an offense in order to punish him/her. The enforced rules have undergone many changes, and will continue to change with Verant's efforts to improve the PVP environment. Use caution, your mileage may vary.

On Rallos Zek:

1. No causing intentional exp loss
2. No bind-camping (this is where someone stands at your bind point and kills you over and over before you can control your character or flee)
3. No corpse-camping (when someone kills you while you're looting your corpse or does not give you a chance to flee after looting your corpse)

Use caution, and remember the Customer Service staff have the final word on all PVP policies.

Q: What do I do if some jerk isn't following one or more of the above rules?
You should /petition for assistance from a guide or gm. They will most likely have to come spy on the individual in order to take action. Your best evidence is the /report function. If the "jerk" admits to their actions ex: "Did you like that train I sent you? Har Har!" make sure the confession is in the text window and type /report jerkname This will send that text straight to the guides. That way, the offender may be punished even if the guides and gms are unavailable. (Which happens far too often).

Q: If I kill someone (a player) does it change my faction?
If you kill a player when that player is in a home city (ie. killing a dark elf in the city of Neriak) you will lose faction with that city. This only applies for zones in which players can start their character. Thurgadin, Kael, Skyshrine, Overthere, and Firiona Vie are NOT home zones thus you do not take faction hits for killing players in these areas.

Q: How are the rules different on the other PVP servers?

There are now four PVP servers. This FAQ deals with Rallos Zek alone. For more information on the other servers, visit Verant's official faq: www.everquest.com

3. LIFE ON RALLOS ZEK

Q: Is it like Quake on Rallos Zek?
No. Rallos Zek is almost exactly like the blue servers in terms of leveling, killing mobs, gaining items, doing dungeons, etc. PvP is something additional added to the existing world of Norrath.

Q: Is Rallos Zek any fun?
Obviously most Everquest players prefer blue servers. But, by the same token many people of Rallos Zek would quit EQ all together if there was no pvp. Many Rallos players originally began on blue servers. If you find yourself tired of the same-old same-old I would encourage you to give it a shot and see for yourself.
Q: Why is everyone anonymous/roleplaying?
Almost everyone is anonymous on Rallos Zek so that their enemies cannot tell their exact level. In addition, many use the roleplay tag, not because they are roleplaying but because they can have the benefits of being anonymous while still displaying their guildtag.

Q: What are the players like on Rallos? Is everyone a pk?
There are four main types of players on Rallos.

1. "Pks" PK stands for player killer. Most people use the term "pk" to describe someone who attacks other players randomly or just for getting loot. ie. "Grief PK"
2. "Anti-PK" quite a few players fall into this category. They are generally out to play Rallos Zek like one would play on a blue server and normally engage in pvp only for self-defense, or to kill a known PK (as in #1).
3. "Roleplay Pk" Though few and far between (and mostly of the evil races) Roleplay pvp'rs or pks kill other players in a roleplayed fashion, or at least with roleplaying motives in mind. They are generally against kinslaying. (The killing of your own race)
4. "Neutral" These players are willing to engage in pvp combat (usually against their guild's enemies) but they generally will not engage in pvp without reason.

Q: Will everyone attack me?
Until you reach level 6 you are safe from the attacks of other players (provided you do not step into the arena or accept a duel). Starting out on Rallos Zek you will find an overwhelming number of pks and kinslayers at the youngest levels. It is suggested not to wear or use any lootable gear (even your newbie tunic/robe) until you are old enough to protect it. If you can survive, the number of PKs drops slowly with level. Pvp becomes increasingly rare until the highest-level pks are well known and can usually be avoided. But make no mistake, players can and will attack you when you least want it.

Q: What disadvantages are there to being a PK?
The biggest disadvantage is reputation. If you become a known pk you may be hunted every time you log in, and it can get very difficult to gain levels or get a place in an exp group. To circumvent this, many low level pks have no intention of leveling their pk characters.

Q: How can I protect myself against PKs?
The best way to keep from getting killed is to find remote areas to hunt and hang out in, or to hunt in numbers with trusted friends or guildmates. PKs tend to kill people in zones where the prey is plentiful. Also, resistance items play a large role on Rallos Zek. For example, someone seeking to gain protection from root would stock up on magic resistance gear. Cold resistance would help with cold based dd's, etc. It is well known that magic resistance will save vs magic spells far better than cold/fire/poison/disease resistance saves against those appropriate DD's.

Q: How are spells different on Rallos Zek?
Most spells work the same, but there are a few important differences.

- Damage spells only do 66% of their normal damage against players
- AE spells can harm your groupmates and group pets.
- Point-Blank AE spells will not harm groupmates, but they will harm pets.
- You can attack your pet. If you attack your pet (spell or melee) it will instantly suicide.
- Charm and Fear are not castable on PC's (this was changed because a person lost exp if they died while charmed, and fear was changed because it made a PC into an NPC and therefore freed them from pvp level restrictions)
- Damage spells do not require line of sight in order to hit PC's. Therefore you can attack and be attacked through walls, floors, etc.
- Resistance Debuffs (the Tashan and Malosi series) have an increased impact on players.
- Harmtouch and Lay on Hands do not recycle on ANY death. One must wait full duration to use these abilities.

Q: What is "naked ganking"?
A naked ganker is usually a pk who keeps all of their items in bags where they can't be looted and then preys upon players who are at a disadvantage (ie. Low on health). There is no retribution if you are killed and looted by a naked ganker. This person will place your item in a bag then laugh even if you kill them over and over. Your distress is seen as their victory. Bag your valuables when you are vulnerable, watch your zone for known pks.

Q: What classes are the best in pvp?
Generally speaking casters are at an advantage over melee classes in pvp. They do not have to be in close range, and they can be naked while still remaining very effective. Conversely, a melee class is very reliant upon their armor, leaving them vulnerable to be looted. However, knowledge plays a huge role. For example, Necromancers are very good in pvp. Warriors are generally not as good. But, what would happen if someone who had never played a necro before decided to duel a prepared warrior?

Each class has pvp strategies as well as pve strategies. Find high-level players of your class and ask them what pvp tactics they recommend.

Q: What is "de-leveling"?
This is when a player (usually level 20+) kills their character repeatedly, losing experience until they are level 5. (Usually they have someone bind them next to a kos guard, then go to sleep for the night.) At level 5 they retain many skills and abilities from when they were 20+ which put them at an advantage against other players their level. This does happen, you can tell a deleveler because they will be level 5 yet still posess a last name. So far Verant has said this is perfectly legal. *** This exploit was fixed by Verant, if you lose levels you can only retain skills from two levels above your current level*** Deleveling still exists, but it is no longer quite as effective.

Q: What is "portal camping"?
Portal camping occurs when one or a group of player killers hangs out at a well used evac point during a busy night. When a group inside a dungeon is in trouble, and low on health they will evac. Usually they are wearing full gear, as they were in pve mode. They fall right into the clutches of PK's and are easily killed off (sometimes with an AE spell) and looted.

Q: Where can I find a list of Rallos Zek guilds sorted by player type?
www.ralloszek.net

Q: I'm a roleplayer, how do I get in contact with other roleplayers on Rallos?
www.ralloszek.net

Q: Who are the biggest PK guilds?
The names of these guilds change over time. Ask around in Norrath.

Q: I want to be a PK, how do I join a good PK guild?
Ask in-game about the known PK guilds, ask the guildmembers what their requirements are.

4. UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Q: I have an unanswered question (or correction) that belongs in this faq, what should I do? If you feel you have a valuable question/correction to contribute email inkantra@yahoo.com so that I can answer it and place it in the next eddition of the faq.

I bolded the no xp loss on drowning here (and other environmentals). I only copy and pasted this here because more and more things cannot be found by the way back machine every day.

I also found evidence for Nilbog and I's debate regarding guard assist. I certainly recall the higher faction having a hand and here's your proof!

More on guards:
Being far enough away from the guard when casting will not trigger aggro. Being low enough (just even a bit) into dubious will get NO help for anyone involved with the guards. AKA 2 players into dubious level can fight with no guard interaction.

History must be preserved.

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
i found posts about the faction and guard resists. even saw a few posts about losing faction if you kill a player in their homecity

nilbog
03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
Good find. I miss RZ.

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 01:42 PM
nilbog,

please for the love of smedy

make red99 like RZ in that there is no longer xp loss on pvp death and make the level range for pvp 4

please

halp

heartbrand
03-05-2013, 01:43 PM
- Damage spells do not require line of sight in order to hit PC's. Therefore you can attack and be attacked through walls, floors, etc.
- Resistance Debuffs (the Tashan and Malosi series) have an increased impact on players.
- Harmtouch and Lay on Hands do not recycle on ANY death. One must wait full duration to use these abilities.

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 01:45 PM
ah shit look what you did Nirgon

http://the-word-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/worms.jpg

I think the LOS thing is fucked because of the custom casting system on this server.

Sear
03-05-2013, 04:23 PM
I certainly recall the higher faction having a hand and here's your proof!

Truth. Does it not work that way here?

I used to bait people into guard agro in places where I had maxed faction.

SamwiseRed
03-05-2013, 04:30 PM
when did lvl 1-5 become immune to pvp? i remember it being sometime before PoP i think.

Jigga
03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Good find. I miss RZ.

Any of those features found going in or is Nilbog just saying good job and move on

Tippett
03-05-2013, 10:53 PM
srs nilbog this weird hybrid ruleset needs to go

its a FFA server, plz make it classic

SamwiseRed
03-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Good find. I miss RZ.

so can we get the classic pvp level range sir? tired of this custom crap (no offense). this server is a Frankenstein of the worst mechanics of each server. xp loss without teams, FFA without item loot and proper 4 level pvp range. i am really confused on what would drive someone to put in the worst features from each live server.

i am being critical but not trolling. i really do think this server was cut and pasted together without much thought as far as ruleset and mechanics go. i couldnt do any better so if this is all we get then i will deal with it but some of the changes we are asking for are simple and most importantly classic.

4 level pvp range (no brainer)

resists closer to classic (no brainer)

removal of FFA zones (wiping a 40s group in solb with your lvl 60 isnt pvp its a slaughter)

tstaff revereted to classic stun length (1-12 seconds random)

removal of xp loss on pvp death (no brainer)

notice I am not complaining about xp. i dont care if we dont get an xp bonus. the shitty thing about this server is losing xp in pvp which is often if you arent in a guild that houses half the server.

if anything can you at least say no. i made a thread about klubba and you immediately responded. id rather you shut these classic ideas down so i can move on instead of just waiting for a reply that never comes.

also thanks for the hard work.

Nirgon
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I said make it 4 lvls item loot, classic resists.

However, the arm chair classic EQ devs here while I watched this server go through planning and beta had their grand plans for a slow xp vztz box.

SZ, by the way, was the *lowest* population pvp server. Reasons being that ffa is better than teams. XP loss on death discourages pvp. Legalized training there, yeah great idea.

Every rule implemented by Verant regarding RZ was for a reason, item loot was kept in for a reason. It was based on player feedback both pro and casual. Further, the EQ Emu community, esp here on red, isn't a community where I'd say "valuable feedback" gets generated.

Imagine if trading no drop items was added as a "classic element from another server" to blue?

Someone already did all their homework to make a great pvp server, Verant. The goal should be a classic RZ, not another eqemu box with broken/custom stuff with slower xp :P. Props on the MQ detector tho.

WoW and all of its clones have no item loot, fast xp all that. I was hoping for a classic pvp mmo, turns out other people are starting to realize this and want the same. I think I even saw a "make resists classic and then I'm all about item loot" from Heartbrand. I couldn't believe my eyes, I think hell had froze over.

Just understand, as I do, that blue is a priority and it was stated as such from the get go. While a priority, things like enchanter/bard mez not working on lvl 58+ players and the machine gun root kunark mage pets should be quick fixes and are extremely game breaking / immersion destroying. They need to be fixed first. We can talk about the 5% chance for a spell to land no matter what being removed which is what I think the root problem is after that. Going on my last comment, and despite what everyone will say... yes I'm playing here. Yes people just spam fetter/root/immobolize constantly in group pvp.

SamwiseRed
03-07-2013, 05:35 PM
so can we get the classic pvp level range sir? tired of this custom crap (no offense). this server is a Frankenstein of the worst mechanics of each server. xp loss without teams, FFA without item loot and proper 4 level pvp range. i am really confused on what would drive someone to put in the worst features from each live server.

i am being critical but not trolling. i really do think this server was cut and pasted together without much thought as far as ruleset and mechanics go. i couldnt do any better so if this is all we get then i will deal with it but some of the changes we are asking for are simple and most importantly classic.

removal of FFA zones (wiping a 40s group in solb with your lvl 60 isnt pvp its a slaughter)

notice I am not complaining about xp. i dont care if we dont get an xp bonus. the shitty thing about this server is losing xp in pvp which is often if you arent in a guild that houses half the server.

if anything can you at least say no. i made a thread about klubba and you immediately responded. id rather you shut these classic ideas down so i can move on instead of just waiting for a reply that never comes.

Dullah
03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Shameless self quote.

I certainly like all those changes except level range change. Talk about a way to blue the server up really fast.

Also, having raid dungeons with level limit is just a recipe for disaster. Perhaps the level limitation could only exist while a raid mob is up. IE, if naggy or ragefire are up, its unlimited. Immediately after they die the zone would return to level limit pvp.

SamwiseRed
03-07-2013, 05:51 PM
i was thinking it should be level restricted while naggy is up. 60s arent suppposed to be engaging naggy anyway. this will allow up and coming guilds a chance at progression. why should 60 mains determine who gets lower level content? lets 52s fight over the mobs, not everything is about the dominant guild here.

it would be beneficial to everyone if competition was on several levels. not just the top end ones. id love to see some progression guilds pop up. shit would be tite.

Dullah
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Naggy is the key to cleric epics.

High level guilds always determine who kills naggy.

Shits classic.

SamwiseRed
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM

shameless (as in without shame) self quote. all i want is a response. shits classic.

Nirgon
08-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Bump for drowning etc should not cause xp loss on PvP server. Faction hits received for killing a race in their home town also.

Faerie
08-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Good thread, faction hits in PvP should be a big priority.

Nirgon
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
4 levels, super quick and easy change get it on next patch. It makes pvp meaningful and more inviting for new players. I have no personal problems or fears with this personally inb4 trolls.

Oh yeah. It's classic. It will also give the illusion of resists working better.

Faerie
08-07-2013, 12:49 PM
4 levels, super quick and easy change get it on next patch. It makes pvp meaningful and more inviting for new players. I have no personal problems or fears with this personally inb4 trolls.

Oh yeah. It's classic. It will also give the illusion of resists working better.

Not much point to this with teams impending. Also the majority of PvP servers during this era (late Kunark) had 8 level range.

Nirgon
08-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Not the FFA one.

I don't think Nilbog wants to have a custom eq pvp server, because in my provable opinion, custom servers do not do as well as the classic servers.

The same people who brought you xp loss on death and a belief that you should be able to spam root on people because it brings "balance" are behind this level range offset.

Faerie
08-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Probably shouldn't talk for nilbog.

Nirgon
08-07-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't and I didn't

Faerie
08-07-2013, 01:39 PM
What would be custom about SZ teams, anyway? Sullon not classic like RZ/VZ/TZ (released in Velious), but was the first server with teams that made much sense. Didn't someone on the dev team say that Red99 was supposed to be a combination of different pvp rulesets?

IMO

SZ teams
VZ and TZ 8 level limit
VZ/RZ/TZ play nice policy

makes a much better emu server than any single live server ruleset. FFA had its time to shine, and now it's time for something different :)

Nirgon
08-07-2013, 01:52 PM
200 people divided into 3 teams is the immediate problem amongst other things

Faerie
08-07-2013, 02:00 PM
200 people divided into 3 teams is the immediate problem amongst other things

As opposed to those 200 people being divided into the x (greater than 3) number of teams we have now?