PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Pets and Mez

Reiker
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
If a pet is attacking a mob and it becomes mezzed, the pet seems to continue attacking and break the mez. This is correct functionality.

If a pet is not attacking a mezzed mob, you cannot command your pet to attack the mob and break the mez. You get the "I cannot attack that mesmerized mob, master" message. This was added after classic and should be removed. Pets should completely ignore mez.

guineapig
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Um, you cannot command your pet to attack, period

Reiker
11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
o rly?

guineapig
11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Unless you are referring to a charmed mob.

Reiker
11-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Or mage pets, or necro pets, or shaman pets...

guineapig
11-06-2009, 03:09 PM
I guess I should clarify by asking if you are referring to enchanters pets and mez. I just assumed that you were.

guineapig
11-06-2009, 03:11 PM
My bad, I just saw mez and assumed. In any case if a chanter pet continued to attack a mezzed target that would be super bad, so it should be clarified that animations should not be included in your original statement.

Reiker
11-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Enchanter pets are supposed to continue to attack mezzed mobs though, that's the point. It's classic. That's the way its working anyways, you just can't make your pet attack a mezzed mob.

guineapig
11-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Wait, can anyone else confirm this? Because that sounds insanely backwards. Why would you want your pet to attack a mezzed mob (speaking strictly as a chanter).

What your saying is that basically having a pet out = death if you attempt to use a crowd control spell other than root.

Sadly, I started playing around Luclin and I can't find anything further back than that to support this claim. How long after 1999 was this changed?

Morfnblorsh
11-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Possibly to have the pet be the first one to engage a mob that was mezzed after his friends were killed off.

Takshaka
11-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I havent tested this yet. But I know for sure that pets(read pets, not animations) could attack mezzed targets on Live in at least in 2000. I played a chanter back then and I remember having great problems with idiot mages who didnt know how to attack the right target.

*ironically I just started playing on this server the other day as a mage...

Reiker
11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Okay... at release in 1999 there was no protection against pets breaking mez. Pets broke mez a lot and enchanters were sad. But that was life, EQ was hard.

I distinctly remember a patch I think around Velious where they added two things:

a) Pets will disengage a mezzed mob.
b) You cannot make a pet attack a mezzed mob.

Currently, a) does not happen (good). B does however, which is the issue. It's not even anything too major, but just another classic inconsistency to point out.

entilza
11-06-2009, 04:35 PM
This made the difference between a good pet controller and not...

And the risk factor of using a pet in dungeons.

guineapig
11-06-2009, 04:50 PM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches.html

This should help. I dug around but couldn't find anything but that's not to say it isn't there. It's a lot to control+f through.

This is starting to make a little more sense now. I still think Animations were meant to have a different rule-set than other pets since there is no way to control them.

EDIT:
It seems odd that the predominant crowd control class should be equipped with the "absolute worst possible mez breaking nightmare machine".

As it works now when I have to mez an add I simply root it and when mez wears off i just get close enough to get hit once and my pet takes over.

Caelor
11-06-2009, 08:52 PM
If a MOB is mezzed as the initial action, a pet will not break the mez if commanded to attack. If a MOB hit the chanter, and then got mezzed, the pet will break the mez immediately, or after its current target is dead. This is not ideal behavior but is classic.

datapunk79
07-22-2010, 12:38 AM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches.html
It seems odd that the predominant crowd control class should be equipped with the "absolute worst possible mez breaking nightmare machine".

Not to beat a dead horse but I totally agree. The mechanics of an animation should be in line with their chanters crowd control ability. Doesn't seem right, and I was much happier with a smarter animation.

mimixownzall
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
The animation was done as a way of ballance. Enchanters weren't meant to be a pet class. They were given an animation to help level. Imagine if a mage had as much CC as a chanter? Would be pretty OP.

Besides, chanters dont use their pet after a while anyways.

mmiles8
07-23-2010, 02:40 AM
The animation was done as a way of ballance. Enchanters weren't meant to be a pet class.

In terms of classic, this, this and this^.

Q: Why doesn't my pet start attacking the thing i attack until I get hit?
A: Enchanters were lucky to even get pets. The big string they attached to allowing them was to make them defense only. This means you cannot control them, and they only act to defend you. (http://web.archive.org/web/20001018072820/eq.castersrealm.com/faq/faq.asp?Action=Show&Class=Enchanter)

You're either going to be able to mez effectively, or have a small chance that your pet will pull a mob off of you so you can continue to cast a mez that will likely get broken. And by small I mean none, since pet taunt doesn't work like player taunt.

Mezzing contraindicates the use of an animation. Attempting to do otherwise results in posts like these.

Chicka
07-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Wait, can anyone else confirm this? Because that sounds insanely backwards. Why would you want your pet to attack a mezzed mob (speaking strictly as a chanter).

It's not a question of want, it was the way it was. No self respecting chanter had a pet out in a group back in the day, just didn't happen.

Lazortag
07-23-2010, 06:04 PM
I would really like someone to provide proof of all the stuff being asserted in this thread since I play a Bard and Bards have mez, and would probably prefer if things were changed so that mez's interaction with pets wasn't confusing.

nilbog
04-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Had no issues attacking a mezzed npc with a pet.

Moving to resolved.