View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 02:22 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Default Server Emergency Patch: Dupe Fix

On Monday, November 8th, the server alerted me to a player holding 21 Million platinum. Upon confronting the owner, he refused to acknowledge his guilt and work with staff to reveal the method being used. All accounts sharing his IP, and any other IP's having been used and any accounts using those IP's, were banned (about 5-6 total).

An extensive investigation was started, digging through all sorts of logs, which lead us to the certain mechanics being used. After thorough testing and exploiting of those mechanics, we discovered the method being used. 90 Minutes later, on November 10th at 1 AM, the server was brought down to patch this hole.

I just wanted to make this post to let the community know what happened, and how serious we take this. The integrity of our game economy is an important part of what makes this server a fun place to play on.

This occurance was caught early by our detection flags and was able to be mostly contained. Some high value items were bought, and we will be going through and reversing those trades (You probably know who you are if you received platinum from this person, so be ready for that).

A huge thanks to Uthgaard for the extensive log digging and testing he did, and to Haynar for helping me with checking over the code.

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Last edited by Rogean; 11-10-2010 at 02:38 AM..