Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Sarnak

Default Debating making a Ranger

So I have a dilemma that I am hoping anyone with some experience on the class can help me out with. I am seriously debating starting a Ranger despite all the hate for them and the exp penalty. I have always been intrigued by the class and thought it would be fun to play. My Magician will remain my main but I want a class to play when I get bored on the mage and although my enchanter is fun with charm, I just want to shift from the caster classes. So anyways I have a couple of questions.

1. After selling gear and such from my chanter I should have close to 4-5k to spend gearing up a Ranger, will that be sufficient to be self-sustaining should I need it? I tend to solo a lot because I am usually quite busy and rarely have time to sit in a group.

2. How good is bow-kiting? Will it be torture with how slow the exp will come or is it actually pretty decent?

3. What is your favorite part about the ranger class?

4. Goes along with question 1, but any gear suggestions?

I really think the class looks fun I just want to make sure I can enjoy it, even solo if I have to. Well any advice on the class is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I have a dilemma that I am hoping anyone with some experience on the class can help me out with. I am seriously debating starting a Ranger despite all the hate for them and the exp penalty. I have always been intrigued by the class and thought it would be fun to play. My Magician will remain my main but I want a class to play when I get bored on the mage and although my enchanter is fun with charm, I just want to shift from the caster classes. So anyways I have a couple of questions.

1. After selling gear and such from my chanter I should have close to 4-5k to spend gearing up a Ranger, will that be sufficient to be self-sustaining should I need it? I tend to solo a lot because I am usually quite busy and rarely have time to sit in a group.

2. How good is bow-kiting? Will it be torture with how slow the exp will come or is it actually pretty decent?

3. What is your favorite part about the ranger class?

4. Goes along with question 1, but any gear suggestions?

I really think the class looks fun I just want to make sure I can enjoy it, even solo if I have to. Well any advice on the class is appreciated, thanks in advance!

1. silver swiftblade is your starter weapon. it will see you through to level 20 with ease. at that point, unless you have a big wad of coin to spend you will probably want to look at something like a jade mace and css, or a lammy or a combnation. if you got the coin by then, Woodsman's Staff is your best bet.
ac/hp rings always help to keep you alive, sarnak-hide mask is a cheap str booster. tree weave for chest at 700ish pp is good, as is hero bracer. Runed oak bow or trueshot longbow are reasonably priced. there is alot of cheapish str gear you can look at

2. get runed oak bow or trueshot and it'll help alot. when you can snare (level 9) you can bow kite reasonably ok but it wont be fast. You can strafe run for distance and bow kite too if you really have to. with a good bow at low levels, you might be able to solo for more xp than in a group or at least be comparable

3. versatility. you can surprise groups if you play well. they make a pretty decent CC option with no chanter. you can save the healer from having to root. can tank if necessary with reasonable gear. harmony when you get it is fantastic

4. mentioned some in 1.
Last edited by Kender; 08-19-2014 at 07:10 PM..
Old 08-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Make your ranger on Red. He'll steamroll people and get groups because of low pop.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Orc

Bow anything is horrible. Dont do it. If your gonna solo, you gotta toe to toe like a pro whenever you can. Use a 2 handed weapon. Springwood staff is way cheaper than woodsmans. Banded armor is fine to start or if you really want to twink him use your mage to kill the mobs and quest yourself some ivy etched.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bow anything is horrible. Dont do it. If your gonna solo, you gotta toe to toe like a pro whenever you can. Use a 2 handed weapon. Springwood staff is way cheaper than woodsmans. Banded armor is fine to start or if you really want to twink him use your mage to kill the mobs and quest yourself some ivy etched.
1-20 you can totally bow kite since with a runed oak bow (or trueshot is ok) and damage 1 arrows you do up to 22 damage. beyond that and the mobs start having too many hp. after 10 it will slow down alot though

you could do 1-20 with just a bow and a bag of arrows and no other gear too if you really had to. your melee skills will suck at the end of it, and you'd have to shoot off quite a few arrows.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kender [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1-20 you can totally bow kite since with a runed oak bow (or trueshot is ok) and damage 1 arrows you do up to 22 damage. beyond that and the mobs start having too many hp. after 10 it will slow down alot though

you could do 1-20 with just a bow and a bag of arrows and no other gear too if you really had to. your melee skills will suck at the end of it, and you'd have to shoot off quite a few arrows.
Absolutely you can. You can do a root canal at home with a power drill and some super glue too. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

In either case, if you can get to 22 you can solo to 60 once velious gets here fear kiting.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:21 AM
Planar Protector

i just started playing my ranger like a month ago for the very first time .. he just hit 50 and im having alot of fun with em .. just need them uber lewtz from the planes ( red server btw)
Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Kobold

I just made a ranger and I love playing it. Certainly not as powerful solo as my enchanter, and bow kiting is torture, even with a Rain Caller and non-store-bought arrows. It's faster to go toe-to-toe and then heal and med up after than it is to kite. I'm level 17 now so not a great judge of how they are going to be later on... but 1-17 is a blast!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Sarnak

Awesome thank you all for the responses. So it sounds to me like I should just focus on some decent weapons and the bow is more useful for getting a little extra damage in if I say snare pull a mob and get a couple hits in before it reaches me.

And then I guess 2h weapons will be better? Is there a point when two 1h will out perform the 2h weapons? Other than Epic of course.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 AM
Kobold

Im a little late to the party, almost 47 wood elf ranger here, You have 4k for twinking nice, get ac/str/hp gear. I put all my points into Dex, dex gear is hard to come by, but str gear is all over the place. Dex also plays a big part if you want to solo at higher levels with the Swarmcaller. I did not bow kite, i used my bow as a dot, I would root dot then use my bow, i did this until 46 when i switched to using my Swarmy, and switching of to better weps.

Right now if you want me to give you a measure, I can kill 3 dark blue con Hill giants before i have to med. HG's have ton of hp's, so i can take out 4 or 5 DB con mobs with less hp's. I am using an FBss, but would really like to upgarde to a RBB.

Starting off, i would deffinetly go with the swiftblade, then upgrade to Woodman's staff, it seems that the Woodsman is the best wep to have, if you dont want to be reposted to death. Str or Dex is a tough choice, Str suppsedly makes you hit harder, but you do need that Swarmy to proc if you want to solo at higher levels. Anyways, i should of been 55 by now, but i have been missing too much playing time, and i also messed around with my other toons.

Rangers are not as bad as people say they are [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Closed Thread