Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Sarnak

Default Magician Greater Con. VS Vorocate

Pretty straightforward question here I hope someone with better experience can help.

If I have the Shovel on Ponz but not the Staff of Elemental Mastery: Earth, does it make more sense to cast Greater Conjuration over Vorocate?

It's my understanding that a focus item gives the pet a 25% increase in hit points. This would make a max-level 49-spell pet have 3625 hit points. An Earth pet summoned with Vorocate would max out at 3150 since I don't have the 50+ focus staff.

Is the added damage given by the Root DD really worth having a pet that can take less hits? Does the pet's overall higher level end up negating a lot of received damage anyway? I'd appreciate any input or conjecture you folks have.
Last edited by Feanol; 10-07-2015 at 11:42 AM..
Old 10-07-2015, 12:51 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

If you're grouped go with whatever max lvl pet you have. Higher the lvl means he'll land hits more often. If you're soloing 49 fire pet wins over any other pets til you get decoy at 56 anyway. Only thing I used 49 earth pet before 51 was for chaining on phinny with another mage
Last edited by Terdnado; 10-07-2015 at 01:03 PM..
Old 10-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Sarnak

The more I think about my OP I believe I hadn't taken the Vorocate pet's significantly higher level into full account.

What are more hitpoints worth when the Greater Conjuration takes more damage and deals out less? Faster fights mean better efficiency overall I suppose.

Maybe I'm just trying to rationalize keeping my pre-50 focus items in use since I worked so hard getting them...

It hurts my head to think I have to kill Innoruuk over and over to get my hands on Staves of Mastery =/
Old 10-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

If you are level 50 and up to level 56, you should be using Monster Summoning 2.

The pets ability to hold agro is just as good as earth pre 57 and it's DPS is better than pre 57 with the caveat of the 54 water attacking from behind only.

It's health is that of the 57 Earth (max level pet).

You can NOT go wrong with Monster Summoning 2. I wrote a thread regarding this. Also, MS2 pet has the level range of 51- 54 Vocerate pets. Max hit is....56 I think. But it has no down time from casting like the other pets do. So, it has a chance to quad hit each round and bash.

Now, just like Terdnado said, ALWAYS go with the highest level pet in a group. So, good bye lovely 49 Earth focus pet, hello 51 Vocerate.

PLUS MS2 cost 100 mana less than 51 - 54 Vocerates. So if you are chaining, it's the choice to go with.
Last edited by dafier; 10-07-2015 at 07:25 PM..
Old 10-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Sarnak

Knowledge'd

Thank you Dafier.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:01 PM
Planar Protector

Most welcome. On a side note, I also used MS3 over 57 Earth on many occasions. The dps is better (my logs) and it tanks just as good. Supposedly it has 100 more HP than 57 earth as well.

I personally noticed that it seemed to keep agro on multiple mobs better than Earth. I don't know why, but it did. Maybe it has an AE taunt instead of single target, or maybe the taunt is just that much more. Either way, it isn't terrible.

But, overall if you are 60 and have the 60 Water pet, best to use that exclusively unless you are trying to solo some tough targets.