Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Kobold

Default New MMO ideas

If anyone has ideas they think are interesting, or really cool things they would want implemented in a future mmo, throw them out here? Just to see what people come up with?

I dunno I heard someone the other day mention something like "a rallying call-esque thing should happen and if the onslaught of monsters win they destroy/take over the city". I thought this was a pretty epic idea. Any kind of stuff like this post it up if yeah like.

-This is for no other reason than nerding out and fapping to what we will never probably get on our mmo platter-
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

A new idea based on what's currently around... how about a subscription based MMO that you pay $10-15 monthly for and there is absolutely NO DLC? You want it? You earn it and put the time in.

Tired of "free to play" games that mean you have to work 10x harder than someone who chips in a few dollars every now and then.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Kobold

I 100% agree swish. Paying every month a few bucks gives maintenance and live feedback from guides/gms within the game that is often needed. I think free to play is great for apps and such things, I do not however think it has any business in an MMO.

You take away the substance behind the pixels when you add $ signs. There's no connotation that comes to mind when you picture that FBSS in your head, thinking of how much you hate or love that piece of shit after being in frenzy room for 20 hours, or waiting on 8 places down on the waiting list, finally getting in and rolling a 16 and beating out 5 other people on it. You just remember clicking the icon on the service store and typing in credit card info =/. Not very fun.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Kobold

I will throw one out- I think it would be awesome if classes had a bit more thought put into their roles in MMOs. For example, if im going to be a rogue, I don't think you should just stab shit in the game. How cool would it be to have traps and hidden things in dungeons that required a rogues skillset, for example detection of traps/disarming them? And if you don't have said rogue...well you're group is going to trigger that trap and get pooned.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by square [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not everyone can spend 20 hours camping a single item in a video game. That's not playing the game anyway, that's watching a bad interactive movie. If you spent half of those hours actually working a job you could afford cash items.
First off it's called variance it goes both ways, tons of people have stories of walking into frenzy, him being up, wam bam thank you mam and out. Peeps don't forget the good end of variance or the bad, you're ignorance has provided us with another good point.

Second I probably make more per hour than 90% of the people on this server, so don't be completely ignorant.

Third go play WoW you muppet =/. This thread was started for creative discussion not bashing. Douche. = )
Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by square [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not everyone can spend 20 hours camping a single item in a video game...
Among other F2P games, there's one (might be D&D online, not sure) where you can either spend 7-8 hours farming a certain item, or you can buy it for a few dollars. That's where F2P falls down, very hard...as you're paying to not sit there and play properly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (whatever properly is these days).

The exception with free to play I think is games like League of Legends. Nobody forces anyone to buy a skin or a champion, and you can save up enough influence points (accumulated free through playing matches) to have 4-5 stock champs to cover any lane you get put on/stuck with etc.

Very occasionally I'll buy a skin, but probably put in less than $30 a year.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Sarnak

I think one of the best things we can have is balance as far as exp and groups go. Certain experiences such as dungeon crawls are awesome and can be somewhat hindered by non-instancing, yet then comes the issue of gear losing value, becoming more and more commonplace to where its not an achievement, but only another small step in an expected progression.

My idea is simple, newer MMO's should make static dungeon hubs. I'll use current Everquest zones as an example since there are a few dungeons quite closeby. Have a public, static zone that is akin to a standard everquest zone including rare drops, awesome items and long quest chain drops. This helps to add competition and rarity to these items since they are not copied many times over by instancing.

But wait! this leads to static camps that limit the amount of players that can reasonably be in the zone without conflict and may deter as Tiggles calls the "filthy casuals", create instanced locations that players can meet up and group in these areas, allowing for experiencing content, but not providing a ton of killer items yet say up the cash drops and coin, allowing players to purchase items if they are not able to camp the static spawns.

EXAMPLE USING EQ:

Lets take lower guk, a majority of nameds with loot are on the undead side correct? keep that as is, dont touch it as it provides a lot of great items. However lets take the live side, edit that slightly. and make it a slightly lower level instance, with an increase in the rate of cash drops (low-mid grade gems), and perhaps a lootable chest at the end with maybe around 500pp for the entire group to split.

It's an idea that may sound like a rambling...but I think it could provide the best of both worlds for the two main types of players that would want to make use of such a zone.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:02 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strifer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

EXAMPLE USING EQ:

Lets take lower guk, a majority of nameds with loot are on the undead side correct? keep that as is, dont touch it as it provides a lot of great items. However lets take the live side, edit that slightly. and make it a slightly lower level instance, with an increase in the rate of cash drops (low-mid grade gems), and perhaps a lootable chest at the end with maybe around 500pp for the entire group to split.
I like that kind of thinking. That's a good idea to satisfy both ends of the player spectrum.

Square-Stop being a troll, no point in e-fighting with you, just dumb.
Closed Thread