Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Kobold

Default hacks

It should go without saying that publically posting links or information that would enable people's ability to cheat on our servers is not allowed on these forums. The thread about the macroquest bans wasn't doing that until about 90 minutes ago, where the OP started posting offsets and other information to enable this, so the thread was deleted. The user also joined IRC under the guise of 'assisting' us, where he started berating our anticheat utilities (which aren't an active cheat prevention utility, it is a passive logging utility to catch and later ban cheaters.. if that's not obvious by now then your dumb), but instead of actually talking to any one of the server staff directly, he proceeded to link active hacking utilities to public channels filled with players.

This is not the type of behavior I'd expect from anyone with the motive to 'help' the staff get rid of cheaters, and only exhibits his need to boast about his own accomplishments of bypassing our logging methods. Not once in recent months have I received a PM, Petition thread, IRC PM, or any sort of contact regarding possible cheats or how to combat them. What I have seen are people posting in PUBLIC areas (IRC, Forums) about "lol guyz look I can bypass the cheat logs, your antihax sucks". I'm not sure what it will take to get it through these peoples' thick moronic skull: If you had any intent of improving the anti cheating methods of this server, you are doing it wrong.

New utilities will slip by, it's just the nature of everquest and the mmorpg world in general. EQ was not a very hard game to make hacks for. If I had more time we could be changing our logging methods every few weeks or so, but it only takes one change to detect what was previously getting past. It only takes one slip up to piss away months of your work on the characters you build in the game.

yeah....

DIDNT EVEN READ IT
Closed Thread