Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-01-2016, 01:38 AM
Planar Protector

Default What the hell just happened to me?

Dinking around going EXP, suddenly i crash out of the game just as i send my pet after my next target. I had not cast a spell yet (unrelated side note:this is not classic either, if you LD when you send pet you should not get aggroed when pet dies my pet should have been able to tank long enough for the LD flag... aanyway). I cannot log into the server at all and assume the server crashed. I try loading up the various p99 pages and not (wiki and message boards)one of them will pull up for me on the internet, yet every other internet non p99 site worked just fine that i tried 8 or 9 of my first bookmarks all worked.

Then i log back in and my corpse is not where it should - it would have died where i was pulling at, instead my corpse was quite a ways away from that spot.. It was found in my safe meditation spot, NOT where i pull from. I asked in zone if everyone crashed or the server crashed and everyone i talked to said no.

What in the hell???
Last edited by DMN; 06-01-2016 at 01:43 AM..
Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 AM
Planar Protector

Lag most likely. Some server between you and p99 farted out. Likely happened while at your corpse pos. Lots of packet loss, it tried to recover, but the client got confused and crashed/errored out. You probably did manage to get your pet to attack though, but not from where you thought you were.
Last edited by Daywolf; 06-01-2016 at 07:11 AM..
Old 06-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Planar Protector

That might be likely... if this were the 1990s. But it isnt.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:33 AM
Fire Giant

But the game you are playing is, the way an everquest server handles incoming/outgoing packets is the same as it was back in .....

Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Sarnak

or someone ddosing him. You piss anyone off recently?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its happened before. Ive had issues when i cant log in and p99 website wouldnt load. You are literally connecting to server sitting in some server farm building on the east coast. This isnt being housed at Sony or anything.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Planar Protector

Like I said, I talked to other people in other ziones and the zone I was in. none reported any problem. So it doesnt add up to a local server issue where it is hosted.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
hmm? Ever count your server hops? I go thru at least a dozen befor p99. Servers crap out all the time in the US, especially with all the streaming from netflix etc. Some of the infrastructure making for hard-line connections through the internet was in fact made in the 90's. I know this because I built it. Get a full featured traceroute app and point it at the server, you can get opensource apps out of like sourceforge.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Planar Protector

There is no good reason exlusively I was locked out of the game and web sites for p99 for over 0 minutes straight. I kepy trying to o relog cause i had mage bags. anyway. Doesnt make any sense for a normal" intrnet/server issue.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Like I said, I talked to other people in other ziones and the zone I was in. none reported any problem. So it doesnt add up to a local server issue where it is hosted.
Quote:
There is no good reason exlusively I was locked out of the game and web sites for p99 for over 0 minutes straight. I kepy trying to o relog cause i had mage bags. anyway. Doesnt make any sense for a normal" intrnet/server issue.
You obviously have no idea how the flow of packets/information works. Just trust us when we say that it can happen.