Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Kobold

Default Thinking about coming back

Its been a few months since i left, thinking about possibly coming back. The thing is I dont know what to make, and due to my schedule, might be limited to what to make. Had a 52 druid named Manjaro before, enjoyed him and all, but I have this urge to make some melee dps. Im open to suggestions on whats needed in the community, but not willing to do cleric or tanking because Im not quite the most experienced at either. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Fire Giant

Well if you want to play a melee dps who doesn't tank, you're pretty much left with ranger and rogue (since even monks get asked to tank on a pretty regular basis, especially in groups that are smaller than 6 and at pre-50 levels).

There aren't all that many rogues, and there are even fewer rangers.

Rogues do significantly more damage and level up much more quickly. Rogues have some perks beyond just combat but they aren't exactly vital to the class except for hidesneak (poisons are time consuming and/or expensive to use frequently, lockpick and find traps and stuff don't get used too often, etc).

Ranger perks are lower-level druid spells and archery. They've got some situational solo potential, whereas rogues can't solo at all.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Planar Protector

I know Rangers kind of suck in P1999 but since you have played a Druid you already know a lot of the spells they get, and how to use them. So woud be a no brainer I think. And a Ranger is a big challenge but very rewarding to level up a class that is on average one of the hardest to do. They really do get a lot of good spells high up. ANd weapons and gear are pretty cheap for them. Being able to track nearly the whole zone is pretty cool also for quests for you and to help out others.

But a Ranger with some good weapons can be used as a Tank with a good cleric 55 and below. They won't fair too well in Velious as a tank because the mobs hit a lot harder. Will have to bow kite more.
Last edited by webrunner5; 01-23-2012 at 06:40 AM..
Old 01-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Kobold

I had played a rogue in live way back.. and remember how bad it was to have rangers in our groups before they were fixed by sony.. im not sure if 1999 uses the the bad old ranger or the fixed one.. BUT i can say that playing a rogue is the most fun i ever had in the game, if they could solo better i would be playing one myself.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

That's the thing about rogues though, they are dependent on having a healer and tank in a group so they can backstab. Rangers can sorta solo, and sorta heal. Pre-Kunark I was in a number of Paw groups with a ranger healer~ Versatile maybe but lower end melee dps and hybrid exp penalty on top.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had played a rogue in live way back.. and remember how bad it was to have rangers in our groups before they were fixed by sony.. im not sure if 1999 uses the the bad old ranger or the fixed one.. BUT i can say that playing a rogue is the most fun i ever had in the game, if they could solo better i would be playing one myself.
No P1999 uses the bad one.
Last edited by webrunner5; 01-23-2012 at 11:41 AM..
Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No P1999 uses the bad one.
Thanks... so glad i didnt make one.. they were so bad that we wouldn't let them in groups. high agro, low hp/armor every fight it seemed like the ranger would pull agro and die then the healer would get killed.. over and over[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks... so glad i didnt make one.. they were so bad that we wouldn't let them in groups. high agro, low hp/armor every fight it seemed like the ranger would pull agro and die then the healer would get killed.. over and over[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you had an awful tank/chanter and blamed it on the ranger.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds like you had an awful tank/chanter and blamed it on the ranger.
Possibly... but as a healer all i would see is Ranger got agro.. ranger got almost one shot and i got healing agro[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Possibly... but as a healer all i would see is Ranger got agro.. ranger got almost one shot and i got healing agro[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
LOL, understandable.
Closed Thread