Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And this is what you posted to save the day for your soulmate?
Reading not your strongest subject? That was me going to the aid of the RMT re-rerollers which I did...

Is that the best you've got? Try harder instead of being a try hard.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarajo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am awesome. Once I hit 28ish I never AoE'd again, and stuck to charm kiting so I could kill in out-of-the-way places and kill casters easily. I always offer people rides if I see they have no SoW or anything, because big deal, that's like 2 minutes out of my day to get them across 2 zones. I've also powerlevelled people for free because they were good people who were having a bad day. Why? I decided to do a little PR work for bards.
You will never, EVER, hear something like this mentioned in the forums or in /ooc. With the way EQ works, greatly encouraging grouping, and the amount of time death penalties/corpse runs cost a non-bard, there's just too much envy baggage there. Also, you'll never hear about bards like us (ones who stay out of the way) because no one notices us.
So it's not that every bard is a douchenugget; it's that every single person has had a negative experience with a bard at some point, or overheard something bad that a bard did, and it becomes a firmly-rooted belief that all bards are assmanglers.

The following piece, about bards, ran in the Saturday Evening Post on January 2nd, 1915:

“In every field of human endeavor, he that is first must perpetually live in the white glare of publicity. Whether the leadership be vested in a man or in a manufactured product, emulation and envy are ever at work. In art, in music, in industry, the reward and punishment are always the same. The reward is widespread recognition; the punishment, fierce denial and detraction. When a man’s work becomes a standard for the whole world, it also becomes a target for the shafts of the envious few. If his work is mediocre, he will be left severely alone—if he achieves a masterpiece, it will set a million tongue a-wagging. Jealousy does not protrude its forked tongue at the artist who produces a commonplace painting. Whatsoever you write, or paint, or play, or sing, or build, no one will strive to surpass or to slander you unless your work be stamped with the seal of genius. Long, long after a great work or a good work has been done, those who are disappointed or envious, continue to cry out that it cannot be done. Spiteful little voices in the domain of art were raised against our own Whistler as a mountebank, long after the big would have acclaimed him its greatest artistic genius. Multitudes flocked to Bayreuth to worship at the musical shrine of Wagner, while the little group of those whom he dethroned and displaced argued angrily that he was no musician at all. The little world continued to protest that Fulton could never build a steamboat, while the big world flocked to the river banks to see his boat steam by. The leader is assailed because he is the leader, and the effort to equal him is merely added proof of that leadership. Failing to equal or excel, the follower seeks to depreciate and to destroy—but only confirms once more the superiority of that which he strives to supplant. There is nothing new in this. It is as old as the world and as old as human passions—envy, fear, greed, ambition, and the desire to surpass. And it all avails nothing. If the leader truly leads, he remains—the leader. Master-poet, master-painter, master-workman, each in his turn is assailed, and each holds his laurels through the ages. That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. That which deserves to live—lives.”

All of the forum hate can't compare to that, nor can little minds get over their envy, fear, greed, ambition, and desire to surpass. All of my PR work won't change that.

Agree that the loudest get noticed and the quiet are forgotten. My question was only half rhetorical and half legit.

Your post did remind me of the very first high level character I saw. I was in qeynos, died in NK, and this bard overheard me talking about it in /say and asked if I wanted a lift.

I'll never forget flying through the air for the first time at ridiculous speeds I didn't know were possible in the game. I still remember his name, even after never thinking about for 10 years.

Those are the kinds of bards I was hoping to see in p99, not swarm kiting pricks everywhere I go. I'm glad that they're still out there.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgetiq [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No I know he's from Essex it's got nothing to do with how he typed... Who are you? His missus?
How do you know? The only recent clue involved a spam ex-display kitchen ad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-25-2014, 02:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgetiq [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Reading not your strongest subject? That was me going to the aid of the RMT re-rerollers which I did...

Is that the best you've got? Try harder instead of being a try hard.
bs

you came in to this thread specifically to defend your buddy

the rmt reroller crap was to try to discredit them deserving the mobs more than your bard friend
Old 03-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassMachine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Agree that the loudest get noticed and the quiet are forgotten. My question was only half rhetorical and half legit.

Your post did remind me of the very first high level character I saw. I was in qeynos, died in NK, and this bard overheard me talking about it in /say and asked if I wanted a lift.

I'll never forget flying through the air for the first time at ridiculous speeds I didn't know were possible in the game. I still remember his name, even after never thinking about for 10 years.

Those are the kinds of bards I was hoping to see in p99, not swarm kiting pricks everywhere I go. I'm glad that they're still out there.
I swarm kite...

I also invite ppl to group if i ever see them running the same direction as me through a zone.

what does that make me?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bs

you came in to this thread specifically to defend your buddy

the rmt reroller crap was to try to discredit them deserving the mobs more than your bard friend
No I never! I asked in /ooc got a few tells so I helped a few fallen brothers out.

I went there to see it admittedly, looked fun I might reroll a bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How do you know? The only recent clue involved a spam ex-display kitchen ad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haha yeah exactly! sussed! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Edgetiq; 03-25-2014 at 02:47 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by daasgoot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I swarm kite...

I also invite ppl to group if i ever see them running the same direction as me through a zone.

what does that make me?
It really depends on how you swarm.

To be clear - I'm not saying all bards who swarm kite are assholes. My idea of a swarm kiting asshole is the guy that comes in and sweeps most of the zone for mobs, leaving very few for the people that were already there.

My experiences so far allude to the fact that there are a large number of bards who don't really care about the people they share the zone with. I'm a laid back kinda girl, and my class can solo anywhere if need be so I don't make a huge deal when it happens, I just leave and find exp somewhere else.

But I can see other people's frustration. Is it classic? Yeah. Does it make you a jerk? Yeah.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

There are very few zones where swarming can effectively occur. Why not go to another zone if the swarmer is killing that one.

FoB taken? Well Cabilis has 4 entry level zones adjacent to it. Try Swamp or Lake instead.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Kobold

I think a small portion just don't give a fuck about the people around them, and draw the biggest stink. I was leveling(with a group) a few weeks in kurns/fob area, or attempting to when druids were non-stop PLing.

You make due, ask them to leave, if they don't, you report and go about your day. I had a guide show up and chase um off.

And as far as Kiting goes...I tended to stick to low pop areas, like FV for about 7 levels. When I had no choice but to OT, I kept to non prime time, or smaller kites so I wasnt jacking everything.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are very few zones where swarming can effectively occur. Why not go to another zone if the swarmer is killing that one.

FoB taken? Well Cabilis has 4 entry level zones adjacent to it. Try Swamp or Lake instead.
My favorite is how mad people get at bards in OT.. the most known swarm kiting zone in game.
Closed Thread