Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leewong [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is wrong with skepticism? Should I also believe in Scientology? They swear up and down that thetans are reality. What about those that claim unicorns exist? Nessy? Bigfoot? Witches?

When you make a claim, it isnt the listener's job to believe you. It is your job to convince them with tangible evidence. Personal anecdote is not reliable source at all.

If I used your criteria then all religions would be, by definition, true. So would aliens, Atlantis, the boogieman, etc.
Being skeptic is fine. Hell I was skeptic as hell until about 6 yrs ago. Im not saying that you shouldn't be skeptical, im saying don't tell me im using the wrong word when talking solely about me if its you that needs the proof. I don't need to have faith in a higher power since I have already seen that there are higher powers at work based on the paranormal experience I had years ago. I BELIEVE in a higher power because proof was already presented to me. Personal experience is the best source when it comes to myself considering it was my own eyes that witnessed the events and is all I need for myself to believe it. based on your own definitions I do not have faith in a higher power I believe in one.

And I never told you to believe in anything. In fact it is you who is telling everyone else that what they believe is not right. Im not trying to make you believe in anything im telling you its not up to you what anyone believes no matter what definition you wanna use for either word.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Banned

amen, amun, shem, om, whatever floats ur boat
Old 09-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

I truly believe that this forum draws in the least reasonable human beings ever.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 09-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyphlite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Being skeptic is fine. Hell I was skeptic as hell until about 6 yrs ago. Im not saying that you shouldn't be skeptical, im saying don't tell me im using the wrong word when talking solely about me if its you that needs the proof. I don't need to have faith in a higher power since I have already seen that there are higher powers at work based on the paranormal experience I had years ago. I BELIEVE in a higher power because proof was already presented to me. Personal experience is the best source when it comes to myself considering it was my own eyes that witnessed the events and is all I need for myself to believe it. based on your own definitions I do not have faith in a higher power I believe in one.

And I never told you to believe in anything. In fact it is you who is telling everyone else that what they believe is not right. Im not trying to make you believe in anything im telling you its not up to you what anyone believes no matter what definition you wanna use for either word.
Well, there you have it folks. He doesn't need the evidence of the much more credible scientific community at large. One experience where he believes a suspension of the laws of physics occurred is enough for him. Never mind that humans are fallible, easily confused mammals. Never mind that there is absolutely no evidence he wasn't simply under a misapprehension - no, it was definitely a paranormal experience and therefore evidence of a supreme creator of the universe.

This is the death of skepticism. When we require proof, that is us being skeptical and having doubt. Don't try and tell us we're using the wrong word when we're not. No one is telling anybody what to believe, we're simply saying that this line of thinking is not rational, it's not logical, and it's definitely not skeptical.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Banned

You sound unhappy. If that's what the larger more credible scientific community of flailing monkeys does. What good are they?
Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

I watch ghost adventures. I know the devil exists.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 09-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neyphlite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't need to have faith in a higher power since I have already seen that there are higher powers at work based on the paranormal experience I had years ago.
There are a number of reasons I will still call it faith and you should too.

1. You could be mistaken - what if the ghost or whatever you seen really werent ghosts. Maybe they were something else (aliens, inter-dimensional beings, etc, etc). You have no proof of what they actually were. You only assume what they were and draw your conclusions from there.

2. You could have been fooled - Perhaps, a mischievous individual duped you. It was a trick of light. Maybe, aliens were messing with you. Who knows? Not me...not you.

3. You could be delusional - pretty self-explanatory but it happens all the time

4. You could be lying - pretty self-explanatory but it happens all the time

Until, you have tangible evidence you are basing your belief on faith.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
And I never told you to believe in anything. In fact it is you who is telling everyone else that what they believe is not right.
I never once stated that your experience didnt happen. Not even close. I said you should be using the word faith...not belief. You have no evidence other than personal anecdote. There is a major difference between what I said and what you assigned me as saying.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Banned

Ghosts lol
Old 09-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruinedyourday [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ghosts lol
I had a friend once that swore she had ghosts in here house. Turns out it was just her cat flushing the toilet. True story!
Closed Thread