Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Large Bat

Default Tradeskill for Troll SK?

Hiyas,
I'm new to the server and rolling troll sk. I'm wondering what tradeskill do you all think would bec most appropriate for me? I know trolls don't get cultural armor for blacksmithing, so not sure if it will be worth my time to level it. Tailoring to make backpacks for myself and other toons or Flecthing to make my own arrows for pulling? I'm up for any suggestions to anything else too.
Thanks for your opinions,
Bumrusch aka (Fatbob)
Old 09-05-2015, 11:04 PM
Sarnak

Hi mate & welcome.

Fletching won't hurt any & will be handy until you get your spells to pull. Esp, If you intend to venture beyond Innothule before 9th.
Tailoring can't go wrong with that, nice long term results also.
Smithing, not worth your while (imo), as you'll not be well off initially & it's not like there is a great market for it.
Odd's are you'll be handed some bits & pieces on generous drive By's (Lot of nice, friendly people on here & lot's of twinks too).

Keep that Swamp safe Troll & See you in the field.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:11 AM
Planar Protector

Getting your fletching high enough to make 150 range arrows is a good idea. Arrow dmg won't ever make much of a difference for you, but if you get good enough to craft silver tipped arrows, they produce 10 arrows per combine instead of the usual 5.

The coldain rings require a low amount of tailoring and smithing (41 trivials for each), so go ahead and skill those up a bit. You also want your pottery at 122 to make Thurgadin gate potions (vial of velium vapors) if you stay friends with the Coldain.

Beyond that.. yeah, backpacks and arrows. Useful things to have that don't require THAT much investment of time or money. Nothing worth going 200+ on for a troll SK imo.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:01 AM
Planar Protector

A good way to raise smithing is to make metal bits then field point arrow heads, which you can then use to raise tailoring, eventually working towards the 150 range arrows as suggested above.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:35 AM
Kobold

as said above, tailoring / smithing / pottery for the coldain ring.
Loukhum, 49 Ogre Shaman
<Europa>
Old 09-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A good way to raise smithing is to make metal bits then field point arrow heads, which you can then use to raise [strike]tailoring[/strike]fletching, eventually working towards the 150 range arrows as suggested above.
Fixed... of course it was meant to say use fletching components to raise fletching, not tailoring!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

Neriak the best spot for leveling most of these imo, I always hated Grobb [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Fire Giant

You'll really want fletching for pulling. There are simply times when casting just takes too long. When I'm grinding in dungeons, I usually blow through 8 stacks in a day or two. Fletching is super cheap to level, you'll always have the arrows that you want (i.e. 150 range, as Cecily mentioned) and you won't have to hunt down vendors to buy arrows.

Tailoring is the only other trade skill I went with on my pally thus far, for the reasons that you've mentioned. I think it's worth it to level both of these for now.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Planar Protector

Disease cloud is 10 mana and a low cast time. Unless you're bleeding mana due to fast pulls (in which case you're probably not the puller) I wouldn't worry too much about a bow/arrow...better to get a good tanky range slot item.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Disease cloud is 10 mana and a low cast time. Unless you're bleeding mana due to fast pulls (in which case you're probably not the puller) I wouldn't worry too much about a bow/arrow...better to get a good tanky range slot item.
There aren't really any "tanky" range slot items of value that are available at low levels. Unless someone hands him a ton of plat he's not going to be buying one. Even if he is handed a ton of plat, there's more useful items to spend the money on. From experience, having an instant pull tools is handy, especially when pulling around roaming mobs. Yes, I realize he will have FD later on. But even then, why would you waste time splitting when you don't need to?