Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Haste vs new weapon

This may be a stupid question, but I feel that I must be missing something. So, my main is a 20 monk with a wu's 2hb, and I am trying to plan on what to save up for next. I figure the two best options are peacebringer or fbss.

What I don't understand is that, after searching the forums, it seems the consensus is to get haste as quickly as possible. The reason this does not seem to make sense is that I have seen peacebringers for 2k (1800 once) and fbss for more like 5k, and yet when i do the numbers it seems like getting the peacebringer first is the better option. fbss/wu's would be better than peacebringer without fbss, but not by enough to make it worth more than double the cost. Where am I going wrong? I know that I will eventually get both, but at the rate that I make cash the decision matters to me.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Kobold

I'd personally just say go with the haste first. The wu's is a pretty good weapon that you could use into your early 30s if you had to. If you get the haste first, you won't have to worry about it further down the road. And after saving up 5k for the haste, everything else will seem like you have the money much faster.

I say this as someone who doesn't have a twink and only one character (monk) on P1999. Likely, you and I make cash at the same rate, so I understand your questioning. You mentioned getting the FBSS, which is what I'd go with. I made the mistake of getting the SCHW first then realizing that once I get my epic, I'll have to buy another haste item. Luckily I found someone nice tunnelquesting that was willing to switch me for an FBSS.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 AM
Planar Protector

Haste for sure. WQS with haste will beat ALL other droppable combos (even the most expensive possible) without haste.

23/27 with 21% haste is effectively 23/22.

Spending less money on a peacebringer or IFS will still be an upgrade, but you'll then delay your acquisition of haste by 2k further.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-08-2016, 09:16 AM
Kobold

Personally I'd say ditch wu's for a basic Velium Brawl Stick for 500 to 1k and the FBSS, you'll end up with a 30/33(slower and slightly worse ratio). It also is easier to manage your weight because the weight is 3.6 versus the 9 flat from WQS.

But that's just me, I can't stand being over the weight limit on a monk.

The other benefit to the brawl stick is the dmg bonus will be larger on the Brawl stick than on WQS
Last edited by Seredoc; 01-08-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Old 01-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seredoc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally I'd say ditch wu's for a basic Velium Brawl Stick for 500 to 1k and the FBSS, you'll end up with a 30/33(slower and slightly worse ratio). It also is easier to manage your weight because the weight is 3.6 versus the 9 flat from WQS.

But that's just me, I can't stand being over the weight limit on a monk.

The other benefit to the brawl stick is the dmg bonus will be larger on the Brawl stick than on WQS
I would strongly discourage this. 30/40 is a terrible ratio for a monk 2h. The cheap 23/27 is the gold standard at 100p. Remember, that 30/33 (counting fbss haste into the equation) is still WORSE than unhasted IFS or PB which can each be had twice over for the cost of haste alone.

That's not 'slightly worse ratio' ... that's considerably worse.

If you're worried about weight, it's better to just grab the IFS for ~2k. It's about the same weight and 38/40 unhasted.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 01-08-2016 at 11:52 AM..
Old 01-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Kobold

You will probably upgrade to an IFS/PB and will also get a haste item, so the question is just which to get first. IFS/PB is about 10% better DPS than Wu's Quivering Staff in your 30s and 40s (https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=110823).

Would you rather have +10% DPS with 2K and then an additional +20% after a total of 7K, or would you rather have +20% DPS with 5K and then an additional +10% DPS after a total of 7K? I don't think that either option is objectively better than the other.

I think that there is a case to be made for going PB/IFS as soon as possible because if you go PB/IFS at 2K, then you'll be 10% better than the rush-FBSS option from 2k to 5k (3K worth of time), and 10% worse than the rush-FBSS option from 5K to 7K (2K worth of time), so if we assume a relatively constant rate of farming, PB/IFS has a little edge (though that math is a bit sloppy since it thinks of DPS in relative rather than absolute terms). Also, PB/IFS early probably will help you level up, etc, faster, which also goes in its favor.

In terms of PB vs IFS, you should be able to get either one for about 2K, and IFS is lighter (good if you're tanking) and slower (which means better against damage shields and better for ripostes, but worse push back against casters). The DPS is about the same -- IFS is slightly better at lower levels, and PB is slightly better at higher levels, but you'll probably upgrade out of either one at higher levels.

If you don't like farming for cash and tunnelquesting, you could also totally just continue with the Wu's Quivering Staff and no haste item for a long while. My untwinked monk continued with his newbie WQS and no haste item until his 40s (never left Kunark until late 40s), and I was still able to contribute good DPS to groups. If you don't have a haste item by the time you get to 46, you could head up to the Plane of Sky and ask for loot rights on a http://wiki.project1999.com/Belt_of_Tranquility, which would be a lot less than an FBSS / SCHW.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Sarnak

Get the haste item first at lower levels due to damage cap
Old 02-07-2016, 12:20 AM
Planar Protector

Perhaps sky isn't so popular now, but plenty of haste belts for monks used to rot there.

If you get SCHW you can always pick up the sky rot belt about the same time you do your epic I guess?
Old 02-08-2016, 12:01 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would strongly discourage this. 30/40 is a terrible ratio for a monk 2h. The cheap 23/27 is the gold standard at 100p. Remember, that 30/33 (counting fbss haste into the equation) is still WORSE than unhasted IFS or PB which can each be had twice over for the cost of haste alone.

That's not 'slightly worse ratio' ... that's considerably worse.

If you're worried about weight, it's better to just grab the IFS for ~2k. It's about the same weight and 38/40 unhasted.

I have an IFS on my monk, they're great but unless you have a seb group look forward to spending weeks in the tunnel looking for one that isn't sold immediately

Now on to the ratio I spoke of, non hasted ratio of Wu's is .85, Brawl stick(or any other 30/40) is .75. Hasted with FBSS Wu's is 1 flat(28/1.21=23 and change) and the standard brawl stick is .9 ratio. See, slightly worse, I don't know how much closer than .1 "slightly" can mean

Usually when buying brawl sticks people will be confused though and you can get a better stick than what they go for, huge margin on those things because it is for use as combat stick or fashion stick so the price gap can change drastically.

Either way it makes little difference on Wu's, Brawl Stick or IFS; Jade Mace + Stave of Shielding is better dps starting from lvl 15 on, hasted or not. Total cost 3k

Get jade mace + SoS. save up for FBSS(or my preferred SCHW but whatever). Work on epic while leveling, once you attain epic, sell/trade SCHW for money towards Sash of the dragonborn. Enjoy self sustained %64 haste until you can afford a %40 haste item/sky raid for the good sky belt
Last edited by Seredoc; 02-08-2016 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: i r teh gud grammrz
Closed Thread