Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:32 AM
Kobold

Default Expansions or Reboot?

Ive heard some rumors that the server is going to be rebooted back to 1999 after Velious is complete. Is this true?

Also just curious what the plans are for the server once Velious has been out for some time and people start getting bored? I loved Classic to Velious as much as anyone else but after your 100th run at NToV or Sleepers your gonna get bored, especially when you cant even improve your character anymore because AA's arent even out.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Personally, I'd like to see new content after Velious is done ala SoD, only more in line with how original progression could have been had the powers that be not sold their soul to the devil.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Fire Giant

DUDE stfu =p eq to velious is amazing dont give them any ideas about no reboot
Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yessir! Yessir! Right away sir! S'ing tfu, as per instructions. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Orc

Interesting, assuming it is reboot, how many new players will want to join once velious is out, knowing that their char will shortly be deleted?

I am not for or against it by any means, but this is a pretty big flaw with that system. Once Velious (or even Kunark) is released, players wont want to play knowing that an impending player wipe is coming. Most likely those players will just wait.

Need to keep players coming in other wise the server will end up with 50 people due to attrition.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Kobold

Its a nice idea, but I'd do it like this:

The server continues the timeline until Luclin would have been released.
On that day a 2nd p1999 server is set up, starting from vanilla EQ again, also following the original timeline.

So everyone can still continue playing on this server, but can also start all over again on another server, together with everyone else.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Fire Giant

Nice Addition Zasc.. i would agree.. we definitely want to keep server population higher (See extending manastone drops and guise of deception to a reasonable value)
Old 02-28-2010, 02:07 AM
Large Rat

Default Uh, yea no..

At some point there will need to be a decision as to whether or not the server should continue the path of live, or while continuing the path of live, make modifications to what should of been, rather than what it turned out to be. If that even makes sense..

If these rumors are true, for a character wipe that is, then more than likely I will stop playing once announced, and donations to the server will no longer be in my best interest.

Just my two cents.

-Korjyra
Old 02-28-2010, 04:09 AM
Planar Protector

As stated by others, you can't in your right mind announce a character wipe a year (or more) in advance. I'm already hesitant to do extremely long drawn out quests and camps due to the time sink. If I was told it will all go poof on X date I would probably go about things much differently.

I did have one thought though which is totally out there but hear me out.
If the devs decided that they want to go further but not piss off the classic loyalists, what they could do is set up a second server (that has Luclin enabled) and offer character transfers to those that want to go further. This could be done when all of Velious has been completed. All parties would be kept happy this way. Luclin fans would go to the other server if they so desire and those that hated Luclin can stay put or be reset or whatever.

Now I'm under the impression that the devs all hated Luclin and what it stood for, so I wouldn't count on this idea ever happening.... but who knows.

Personally, I'm just having lots of fun and am not too concerned with the devs decisions anymore. It's their sandbox and they will do what they want and/or what they feel is best. I’m just enjoying the ride.
Last edited by guineapig; 02-28-2010 at 04:13 AM..
Old 02-28-2010, 04:31 AM
Kobold

Id imagine running two servers could be quite costly and not to mention we probably dont have enough of a population to fill two servers with enough people.

Wasnt the main issue with Luclin the nexus and bazaar? Could Shadows of Luclin not be released without those two zones? Or just add the Nexus zone with no ports and the only way to get to the moon will be via druid/wizard port.

IMO I did not have that big of a problem with SoL and the Nexus ports. Sure it made ports obsolete somewhat but it was only from certain zones. IE anyone on Antonica had to run to NK to get to a Nexus Spire so there was still a bit of travel time as well as waiting the 15 minutes for the port there.

I really did enjoy raiding in luclin, sure there was some time sinks such as keying for Emp and keying for VT but when you finally got that VT key and started raiding there it felt like you really accomplished something as a guild.

Also AA's really made it so you could further your character a lot more than just hitting level 60.

A wipe of characters is about the worst thing I can think of. Just ask yourself if you would want to restart at Lvl 1 with no expansions after playing for the 2 years or more it might take to finish Velious. Would you even keep playing knowing the server was going to get wiped? I am all for nostalgia but I really cant see myself starting over at lvl 1 with no expansions just to do everything all over again. The reason I am doing it now is because I havent done it for 10 years.