Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 02:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I imagine this is classic "real quick" everquest time dilation.

You know when someone is like, Ill be there in 5

Then they show up 4 hours later and are like, all I did was buy rations I was here right on time!

But that said if it is not that is definitely broken lol
Wiki says says 8 water for 1% of level 11. I saw a post on the TAKP saying level 11 is 330K'ish exp. 3.3K / 8 = 412. If that post was ballpark close this isn't super. Not many are going to be able to afford making it game breaking at the start though with how fast exp scales up each level, I think.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Last edited by Nuggie; 08-02-2019 at 02:48 AM..
Old 08-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Sarnak

Train to zone is the game I play.
FD is the way I stay.
Hope your SoW don't go away.

Peace.

OUT OF THE WAY PECK!

Quote:
12:53 <Littlegyno> nilberg
12:53 <Littlegyno> i was
12:53 <Littlegyno> gonna have pix
Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

We don't know the server details yet, but assuming they stick to their "exact classic code" mantra, it will be a particularly annoying because of how many un-Classic changes there will be. Let's look at the code differences in early/mid 1999 that currently seem like they won't be reflected on Green p99:

01.) There was no Play Nice Policy, it was only exploits that GM's cared about, or maybe sometimes training when it was the same person doing it non-stop (and that wasn't something people were banned for, it was just a warning and maybe the person gets ported out of the zone if they don't stop for awhile).

02.) Player corpses could be looted by anyone who was consented. My immediate thought was that this is a bad classic feature, but actually it could add an interesting dynamic for a server like p99 during this era. It means corpse recovery is a bigger challenge if you don't absolutely trust someone. In a highly experienced and linked-in community like this, an individual's rep would go to shit instantly if they kept someone's items...unless they did it to a player who is part of an opposing faction. Between not having a Play Nice Policy and this feature, it's like having soft-coded PvP. More competition and social dynamic to players' actions.

03.) Necromancer and Enchanter summoned pets (Skeletons and Animations) had their attack speed lowered when given low-delay weapons, and the Enchanter summoned pets had less health than their current p99 numbers. Mage pets couldn't use weapons for quite some time, until several months after the pet nerf that took away the attack delay "bug" and lowered the overall power level of the Level 44 + 49 pets.

04.) Casting spells inherently reset your attack timer, ie - slowed down your attack speed. This meant that trying to cast and melee at the same time was significantly less powerful.

05.) Mage summoned item "Sword of Runes" procced on all targets, not just Elementals, when given to pets. Took a long time for the playerbase to figure out, since the Mage pets couldn't use weapons for so long and low-delay weapons were better before that changed. Also, Water Pets had additional health regeneration and the Fire Pet had to cast its damage shield on itself after being summoned, sometimes taking a non-trivial amount of time to do so (and won't do it while engaged in combat); things which still aren't even fixed on current p99 I don't think.

06.) The Necromancer "heal other players with your own health" spell used to not have recast delay, and early in the game their Lifetaps were completely unresistible by any target. Necromancer-only guilds were easily able to clear out Plane of Fear.

07.) Plane of Fear came out about 3.5 months after the game's launch and initially didn't have a minimum level requirement. It was only open for a month like that, before being shut down for several weeks and then re-opened. Plane of Hate came about a month after Fear re-opened, launched by an event in Kithicor. The frequency of item drops in the Planes was much lower than the current rate, until about 3 months after Plane of Hate was released.

08.) Hybrid classes had no meditate, their mana pool was much smaller, and they got some of their spells at a later level or not at all, as compared to Kunark timeline. I discussed this many years ago, but not sure if the devs ever put it in a database to be fixed for future servers (don't think it was fixed when Red server launched in pre-Kunark era).

09.) Charm had no message when it broke (for any class who could do it). Semi-related: Enchanter "Whirl Til You Hurl" was very OP in the earliest era of the game.

10.) Cities had much faster respawn timers on NPCS - things were very hunted for exp and cash in these places. Similarly, shopkeepers everywhere were exp-killable and didn't artificially take less damage than normal.

11.) Rogue hide/sneak was no different than normal invis and their backstab had a much lower minimum damage (and of course no Evade, but I assume the devs would at least get this right for a new server launch; Rogues didn't get it until nearly Kunark). Also, they could potentially pick-pocket ANY item from any NPC. Drama!!

12.) Shaman potion making didn't work.

13.) It was pitch-black at night, and in various underground places, without a lightsource or Infra/Ultra vision (which themselves had unique color tints), and overall the game was darker when it wasn't daytime with clear weather. This being an issue with the p99 client is certainly a difficult problem, but I do wonder exactly how much work they've put into trying to make it as Classic as possible.

14.) Needing to look at the Spellbook when meditating until Level 35, and the Spellbook taking up the entire screen whenever opened. The latter issue is allegedly a p99 client problem, but the former is not. That said...it was overkill in Classic. Something like having the Spellbook partially covering the screen until your Meditation skill hits 60 (level 11 for casters), and only fully covering it when re-arranging the spellbook itself, would make more sense.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Planar Protector

Damn, Zur! I pray to Mithaniel Marr for the courage to play on Project Zuranthium.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Planar Protector

As a guide during the PnP area, you absolutely would get warned/suspended/banned for KS'ing / racism / training, etc. I don't know where you're getting "exploits" only from. Maybe like the first week of live or something they didn't police training but there absolutely was punishment for that stuff.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a guide during the PnP era
Why are you talking about the PnP era? Of course there was punishment after it got put in, but the Play Nice Policy didn't exist for quite some time (I don't remember the exact date it was put in, some help researching this would be nice). There was absolutely allowable "killstealing", see also how the Pantheon devs who worked on original EQ want that feature in their new game. Training was definitely a thing too, and people started getting very tactical doing it with Feign Death. GM's would step in when it was considered overly excessive, but before the PnP came into existence it was not something a person could be banned for (unless considered an exploit with pathing). It was just an emergent aspect of gameplay, like kiting things around with DoT's. Extremely foul language / harassment was of course always off limits, but that should be obvious.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:58 PM
Sarnak

Originally Posted by Thugnuts View Post
- Poop in bags. I've already been saving my plastic grocery store bags for several weeks and have a proper toilet seat mounted to a 5 gallon bucket. I'm also lucky in that my garbage pick up bin is right below my bedroom window. It's still a solid 12 feet away from my desk, but I'm thinking I can just rush to the window between spawns and throw my poop bags directly into my can for the garbage collection on Mondays.

It would be great if there was a two or three story drop to the container just for the sound effect.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Planar Protector

I love classic EQ but I don't understand how the PnP is bad or not classic?

Like what do people want, if they don't like the play nice policy?

You after like a 2 month run where training is allowed? Serious question, I know it sounds sarcastic but I am genuinely curious when i hear someone say they don't think the PnP is classic, what they are after.

Seperate note:

15.) Dots did full damage on mobs while they ran for like 2? 3 months?
Old 08-03-2019, 10:28 AM
Fire Giant

God yes @Jibartik

So Silly that people got pissed at druids because they could kite anything boooo. would be fun to have that capability again even if only for 3 months 8).

I rem people would send hate tells because i would kite mobs in commons lands that they could not think of killing without a full grp.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Old 08-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We don't know the server details yet, but assuming they stick to their "exact classic code" mantra, it will be a particularly annoying because of how many un-Classic changes there will be. Let's look at the code differences in early/mid 1999 that currently seem like they won't be reflected on Green p99:

01.) There was no Play Nice Policy, it was only exploits that GM's cared about, or maybe sometimes training when it was the same person doing it non-stop (and that wasn't something people were banned for, it was just a warning and maybe the person gets ported out of the zone if they don't stop for awhile).

02.) Player corpses could be looted by anyone who was consented. My immediate thought was that this is a bad classic feature, but actually it could add an interesting dynamic for a server like p99 during this era. It means corpse recovery is a bigger challenge if you don't absolutely trust someone. In a highly experienced and linked-in community like this, an individual's rep would go to shit instantly if they kept someone's items...unless they did it to a player who is part of an opposing faction. Between not having a Play Nice Policy and this feature, it's like having soft-coded PvP. More competition and social dynamic to players' actions.

The devs have already made clear (prior even to Green's announcement) that there are some classic thing P99 just won't have. Not necessarily because the staff doesn't want them, but because they're too much work for too little benefit.

Project M and dropping coins on the ground will be like this, and (I believe) being able to loot someone else's corpse when consented will also (but I'm only 99% certain because I only save GM quotes about rulings, not ones about Green ... anyone else is welcome to look through old staff postings for proof though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

As for all the other things on that impressive list Zur compiled, we've got just two months left. File bugs on it if you care, but otherwise ... the staff will either explicitly tell us which classic things they won't do in the big "pre-Green announcement" ... or else they won't, and in two months we'll login and see for ourselves,

The point is, it's reasonable to expect that anything which is dramatically different from how Blue works now, and which only existed on Live for a short time, probably won't be on Green. And for the next two months, other than speculating wildly, all we can do is have some patience ...
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-03-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Closed Thread