Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you think Luclin models should be an option for Project 1999?
I do not want Luclin models 554 66.75%
I want Luclin models. 276 33.25%
Voters: 830. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Orc

Please no luclin models here PLEASE
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Planar Protector

Players often will select a race or look in a game because that's how they want to look to others. If a game arbitrarily changes that then it removes that. Don't forget that there's a social aspect to these games that's highly valued. While I respect everybody's right to have the game look as they want it to look, I think that it would be confusing if you kept referring to your friend as having a big nose when most everyone else says it's small. Or you say that your friend has a small head even though he actually has a big head. But you don't know that because you changed the options so that his big head is 1/3 the size.

In MUDs people will oftne write a description for their character. Something like "A tall elf with dark sun dried skin. His left leg limps almost unnoticeably. There's a tatoo on his neck of a dragon with a spear piercing its heart." I can understand shutting off descriptions or not even looking at them (/examine mefe), but what if you changed it to say, "A short elf with light moon dried scales. His bottom finger bends almost painfully. There's a gash on the backside of his head with worms oozing out of it." I understand that's what you want to see, but part of writing descriptions for characters is the expectation that this is what -others- will see.

Part of the problem is that the luclin models have a entirely different character. For example, a human caster looks like an average man, mostly. But luclin humans look like they belong in a wrestling ring or in a body building gym. That's not to mention that they have different faces and do not look remotely similar. I guess some people think it's perfectly average to look like hulk hogan yet also be a wise wizard that frequents libraries and study halls. None of this addresses that the luclin models weren't available during classic through velious.

The old models aren't perfect, of course. Check out the polygons on half elves. Look at the size of their arms. It's not always easy to tell, but if you zoom in it's easy. They're huge! It could be the limited polygons. There're other examples of strange or weird looking things. And some people who play ogres or trolls do not want to look dumb or out of shape. Understand that. Best you can do is select a smart, stern face. I always enjoyed that dumb look. The lore is supposed to justify it. But I think they (the modelers) had some "fun" with it.

All in all, I think the old models don't take themselves as seriously as the luclin ones. I like that about them. But I know many people want models that're not cracking jokes about themselves. Maybe they want less of this or more of that. Or they just plain like the flavor of the luclin models. But again, you have to consider the social aspect of the game. Do you or do you not want to respect the choices others make about their appearance? By forcing luclin models, you take that choice away from others and remove that aspect of the "social" game. I would be all for luclin models if what -I- selected is what others saw, but that's not how it works. So what the end result is is it's either old models OR luclin models, not both - unless the code is changed.

So my argument here is based on the "social" aspect. This is contrary to what happened on live, where you could select old models or luclin models on a whim. And it's not based on the argument that luclin models weren't available pre-luclin so therefore they should not be on p1999. It's my own argument.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 02-22-2012 at 11:28 PM..
Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Fire Giant

@Stormlord

You make a very valid point. The thing I liked most about your point is the fact that, while stating your point, no where did you bash someone for having a different opinion or state that your opinion is law. I also like how you actually described your view rather than just crying because someone likes something. As such I can't help but to agree with you, your point is very valid. (EDIT: I'm not being sarcastic either i'm being very serious. I wish more people would face things like you did)

At any rate I only posted it because I made a discovery that many people were curious about (And at one point I believe it was thought getting this working would require either major file modifications, as in at the .dll or .exe level, or outright upping the expansion variable to Luclin.) I decided to share my discovery with the community. I shared it here because it would be irrelevant on a server like PEQ where the models are activated already anyway.

Now that I've shared it it's out of my hands. You guys will do what you want with it. I made my contribution so my part in this little tale is over.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Planar Protector

Idc about luclin models as long as its an option... if its all or none.. i'd rather not have them.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Banned

id play luclin.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyelle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope what I posted is for Titanium and is compatible with Project 1999 (And is kind of irrelevant on other servers lol)
Just a minor info for those who wish to use luclin models.

Those running "EQ Lite" clients, the luclin models wont work on it, due to the lite client removing unrelated files.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anesthia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for your excellent research, Danyelle. I tried it out and my DE SK looks super-cool in banded armor now. The only thing that's bothering me is that I think I would have to go back and recreate my characters using Luclin model settings to get them the way that I want them to look. This, in turn, would mean that I couldn't guarantee that my non-Luclin appearance wouldn't be horrible. I'm one of those weird people who care about that sort of thing.

Where are the settings for character appearance stored?
In the Database. There's an option to change facial features in-game (The "Face" button in your inventory) and save them. If you use the Velious UI it was taken out, if you use the default UI it's still there. Tested and it still functions.

Edit: and Aye if you use the Lite version the Luclin models are gone. You can, however, drag and drop them (I would assume you have a full version of the client lying around) but this change won't work without them.
Last edited by Danyelle; 02-23-2012 at 02:21 AM..
Old 02-23-2012, 02:28 AM
Orc

Even with Velious UI /face I believe is the key command.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 AM
Fire Giant

Speaking of High Quality textures, if you have a copy of the Secrets of Faydwer, Seeds of Destruction or Underfoot client lying around copying over the .s3d files for every single Classic, Kunark and Velious zone (Only the base zone file, _obj files may work too.) will provide you with clearer high res textures:

See:

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...9/EQ000019.jpg

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...9/EQ000018.jpg

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...9/EQ000017.jpg

PS. Can't help but point out Guard Reskin's name in that picture... get it...Reskin? It's almost funny ;_;
Old 02-23-2012, 04:15 AM
Planar Protector

Shure.... As long as Luc isn't coming itself...
Kinda like Uthgard DAoC server~