Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't wanna derail this thread
way too late
Old 09-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Watch out guys he is going to 1v1 us in some games he doesn't have time to play!
Lol'd irl.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Watch out guys he is going to 1v1 us in some games he doesn't have time to play!
Yeah games that get to the point rather than wasting peoples time to do what you know they want to. Again.. your point is invalid and rather useless. Carry on.. or let me know which game you "pvp" in and I'll download it.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I didn't say this isn't the experience I want. Don't get me wrong, if I didn't love this game I would have simply left a long time ago. I just found norrath map to be a huge time saver getting around.. its not gonna make me quit or anything, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would rather find their way quickly to what they want to do than spend an extra 10 minutes trying to remember where the hell guk entance was for example.
1) That's exactly what you're saying actually. You want in-game maps (or some variation thereof) within a game server that by it's very definition does not allow them. What you want is a custom server, not a true replica. A "Game Genie" for Everquest, as it were.

2) If it EVER takes you 10 minutes to remember where "the hell" Guk's entrance is, your problem is not in-game maps. In fact, if toggling between maps on wiki and the game accounts for 10 minutes in an entire month of playing, I dare say you are in a world of hurt my friend. Something is clearly not right with you.

Have you ever considered the possibility that the "experience" you have on this server might be directly related to the fact that things like in-game maps are not allowed? I don't mean how it affects your own personal ability to navigate the game world. I mean the game experience in general. As in, the type of people also playing within this same game world? The AMOUNT of people playing in this same game world? The type of people NOT playing in this same game world?

Obviously in-game maps make things more convenient. But as with so many other short-sighted "fixes" EQ implemented over the years, little consideration was ever given to how it effects the overall population of the server itself. In particular the kinds of players it attracts, and perhaps even more importantly the kind of players it does not attract.

In other words, the experience you are having here and presumably enjoy is a direct result of this server not allowing for things like in-game maps. You might imagine your experience would be even better if in-game maps were allowed, but you are probably wrong.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yeah games that get to the point rather than wasting peoples time to do what you know they want to. Again.. your point is invalid and rather useless. Carry on.. or let me know which game you "pvp" in and I'll download it.
You keep using this phrase "wasting time".
Old 09-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You keep using this phrase "wasting time".
I don't think it means what he thinks it means.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlestgnome [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1) That's exactly what you're saying actually. You want in-game maps (or some variation thereof) within a game server that by it's very definition does not allow them. What you want is a custom server, not a true replica. A "Game Genie" for Everquest, as it were.

2) If it EVER takes you 10 minutes to remember where "the hell" Guk's entrance is, your problem is not in-game maps. In fact, if toggling between maps on wiki and the game accounts for 10 minutes in an entire month of playing, I dare say you are in a world of hurt my friend. Something is clearly not right with you.

Have you ever considered the possibility that the "experience" you have on this server might be directly related to the fact that things like in-game maps are not allowed? I don't mean how it affects your own personal ability to navigate the game world. I mean the game experience in general. As in, the type of people also playing within this same game world? The AMOUNT of people playing in this same game world? The type of people NOT playing in this same game world?

Obviously in-game maps make things more convenient. But as with so many other short-sighted "fixes" EQ implemented over the years, little consideration was ever given to how it effects the overall population of the server itself. In particular the kinds of players it attracts, and perhaps even more importantly the kind of players it does not attract.

In other words, the experience you are having here and presumably enjoy is a direct result of this server not allowing for things like in-game maps. You might imagine your experience would be even better if in-game maps were allowed, but you are probably wrong.
Thanks for not insulting my thoughts unlike these other guys. Let's see if you see where I'm coming from. First. Wiki maps has coordinates and points of interests on it. Not classic. (or at least I don't remember seeing those in 1999 eq release). Next.. no. Spellbook medding = not classic. Scroll wheel view = not classic. I'm sure tanks will love the removal of that one. I can go on with non classic things but I don't have time atm. My main point is.. if wiki maps give you coordinates and info about quests/npcs/what's sold in this zone.. then what's wrong with having a time saver like norrath map do the same for you in a fraction of the time.. you are still looking at maps telling you where everything is.. I just don't get it lol
Old 09-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
You don't see a difference between a plain map with some points of interest annotated and a map that has graphical interactivity whereby your location is highlighted as an overlay on the map and is constantly updated by a parsed log file?

It is the difference between using a folding paper map on vacation and having a cellphone/GPS with Google Maps
Doesn't matter how different it is. Either one was possible in 1999. It may not have been as pretty, but it was possible.

NorrathMaps is buggy and currently(?) unhosted, but it's not illegal and no one should be condemned for using any kind of program that gets game data from the log file. It's also incorrect to say your position in NorrathMaps is "constantly updated" ... it's a manual/intermittent process.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Fire Giant

Cool

I memorize trees bitch. Get on my (and good player's) level.

I play on a CRT on a dial-up connection.

JK 3x27 inch monitor.. we're pampered with our zoopity-zoppity blazing fast connections and our biggity-diggity monitor screens.

Get happy brah.

Oh and memorize hills too.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Fire Giant

Everytime I take breaks from this server so much changes.

Should probably take breaks more often.
Closed Thread