Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-09-2023, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It isn't. Every system in Everquest (and any other video game) is designed with a purpose. They aren't spontaneously generated and inserted at random.

It is factually true that the leveling system is designed to get you to max level. That doesn't mean everybody will get there, but that is it's purpose.
Right, but we're on a locked server. That wasn't part of the original design. By going crazy at 60 gearing out, you're just padding your magelo. You're not trying to break into harder content. This could be considered even more dumb then min/maxing the leveling process.

You can kill anything with Kunark gear and the right composition.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right, but we're on a locked server. That wasn't part of the original design. By going crazy at 60 gearing out, you're just padding your magelo. You're not trying to break into harder content. This could be considered even more dumb then min/maxing the leveling process.

Normally I'm with ya Crede but low man stuff is a thing. Full BiS is a world of difference from Kunark.

However, going INT on the sole premise of "its the hardest stat to cap" is only relevant for the top 5% of players that will actually take a SK to near/full BiS.

The OP clearly isn't going to do that. He's making an Iksar to do Greenmist. STR is his correct choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The fact that this is a locked server is irrelevant to the system design. On P99, people still progress linearly from levels 1-60. It doesn't matter if the max level is 60 or 120, because you are still linearly progressing in levels. The core purpose of the leveling system is still intact, and unchanged.

The only way you could begin to suggest that the leveling system is not a linear progression system is to prove P99 does things like randomly set a player's level. For example, if you logged in and your level 30 character became a level 54 character. Please do not bring up someone who has de-leveled by dying while AFK. They are losing XP in a linear fashion, not immediately jumping from level 60 to level 30.

People do enjoy getting end game gear, otherwise they wouldn't do it. I am not sure why you are trying to argue that gaining better loot in a game designed around gaining better loot is pointless. If you truly believed that, you would stop playing the game.

The reality is the +20 STR is not going to help OP enough during the leveling process to justify the detriment you get at level 60. I showed the data for this here: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=105 . The detriment of putting your points into STR comes from the simple fact that STR is very easy to cap in the higher levels, so the +20 STR will end up being wasted.

If they put their points into INT and stop at level 43, their experience will be no different than if they put their points into STR and stop at level 43. You simply aren't getting enough of a boost for it to matter on a twinked character. It's better to put your points into INT assuming you will get to 60. Then you don't have to worry about it later when you decide to start playing your level 43 SK you stopped playing a year ago.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-09-2023 at 12:57 PM..
Old 08-09-2023, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lune, while I applaud your efforts to educate the fool … you are wasting your breath. This is precisely how we got a 449 page thread where DSM tried to convince the whole damn server that shamans are excellent dps in a fast paced high dps group involving multiple charm pets relative to a mage. You can throw all the knowledge nuggets and spaghetti against the DSM wall but I promise nothing will stick.

DSM when confronted with anything but his own napkin math:

And trust me, you will never (not ever) get the last word. His autism (using this in the strictly DSM-V diagnostic sense … not as an insult) mandates that he always have the final say while simultaneously proclaiming his brilliance.

We all know his modus operandi.

It’s both funny and sad at the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
holy fucking pot meet kettle lmao
Quote:
Ya'll gone and done it again
Yea I knew from this thread this guy didn't have the best relationship with logic and seeing the big picture, but I had no idea it was an every-thread thing.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did a quick test on Corudoth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py96jk2NflU

The test is 210 STR vs. 231 STR. I am using https://wiki.project1999.com/Ancient...ched_Flamberge as my weapon. I have 34% worn haste.

Test 01 (210 STR) - 561 seconds to get him down to 80%. 37,794 Damage, subtracting ripostes. 67.3 DPS
Test 02 (231 STR) - 531 seconds to get him down to 80%. 37,303 Damage, subtracting ripostes. 70.25 DPS
DPS difference: ~3 DPS
I genuinely appreciate your effort. Seriously. No sarcasm.

But it is worth pointing out that you are a level 60 sk fighting a level 5 mob. I don’t think a leveling sk will be hunting mobs 55 levels beneath them. Your attack vs it’s defense and the level difference makes the parse a lot less relevant to the discussion at hand.

You’re a SK. You can FD. Why not go find a good, solidly blue xp mob and repeat.

Clock the time it takes you to drop it to 20%. FD and let it reset and regen up to 100. Rinse and repeat a few times at each str level. The mob being closer to your level will indeed have an greater impact on relative dps (str value vs str value) than parsing a on a level 5 mob.

If you want to make it even more relevant, take off some gear and test like 140 vs 160 strength.

Again DSM - I am very appreciative of you doing some leg work. This is a vast improvement in your behavior. It is unlike what you did (or didn’t do) in the shaman vs mage in a high dps group thread … where you never actually did/tried it … or did do it but didn’t like the results and therefore never posted your results.

Kudos where kudos are due. Please carry on!
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-09-2023, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea I knew from this thread this guy didn't have the best relationship with logic and seeing the big picture, but I had no idea it was an every-thread thing.
This is a complete fabrication. Lies are irrelevant. I gave you the data you requested here: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=105

Remember when you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you find more accurate numbers that show INT performing better I'll admit I'm wrong, because I'm capable of doing that, and we will all have learned something.
Are you going to honor this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Again DSM - I am very appreciative of you doing some leg work. This is a vast improvement in your behavior. It is unlike what you did (or didn’t do) in the shaman vs mage in a high dps group thread … where you never actually did/tried it … or did do it but didn’t like the results and therefore never posted your results.

Kudos where kudos are due. Please carry on!
I usually do the leg work. I did the legwork in the thread you are referring to as well. You are simply too busy trolling to notice. If you improved your behavior, you may learn a thing or two[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Your troll tactic of claiming all evidence you disagree with is irrelevant is not a valid method of providing evidence of your own. We are still waiting on evidence from you.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 08-09-2023 at 01:33 PM..
Old 08-09-2023, 01:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Oh yeah … it’s an every time thing in every thread where someone comes to a different conclusion.

It’s nothing new.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-09-2023, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Are you going to honor this?
You don't deserve any more engagement from me; you don't reason in good faith. I'm not going to point out the flaws in your "test". If you want to proclaim victory and get the last word, go for it. Anyone reading this thread with intact analytical abilities can judge for themselves.

PEACE
Old 08-09-2023, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You don't deserve any more engagement from me; you don't reason in good faith. I'm not going to point out the flaws in your "test". If you want to proclaim victory and get the last word, go for it. Anyone reading this thread with intact analytical abilities can judge for themselves.

PEACE
Thank you for conceding via a temper tantrum. Simply proclaiming there are flaws without explaining what they are is irrelevant.