Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 AM
Banned

also, good luck killing anything other than blue con bullshit when you are lvl 5. eq is the only game where it is more challenging to make it through levels 1-12 than 40-50.

maybe instead of doing all that shit with the stephen hawking calculus xp curve, just

UPDATE mob
SET max_hp = (max_hp/2)
WHERE level <= 20

gg, noobie leveling now ezmode.
Last edited by pojab; 12-20-2011 at 03:48 AM..
Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 AM
Planar Protector

pojab for lead developer

yes we can
Old 12-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Planar Protector

Lets try and keep the shitty vztz rejects suggestions to a minimum, servers fine for the most part. Population isn't even bad, most people just aren't into EQ pvp. Only thing that might need adjusting is beginning level experience rates.

Realistically though Rogaine don't give a fuck and nothing will change. Either way I will /deal with it sunglasses face.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:25 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Today I had a friend tell me her 13 year old cousin wanted to install the game and play it. I told him to read the guide. He currently is watching T.V.

It's simply too hard to get people to install the game and start playing it. The allure of EQ will exist to players without any exp bonus.
Didn't you hear bro? It's the experience rate, not that it takes 50 steps to install the game and no one is promoting it anywhere anyway.

It's even more amazing that there isn't a simple install because EverQuest can be "installed" by simply having the EverQuest directory.

Someone just needs to trim down the Titanium client so it only includes classic files, setup the hosts file and delete the .eqg files, patch the UI files, and then write a simple script that follows this logic, "Is there a new EQChanges file? If so, download and extract into directory. Launch eqgame.exe patchme", and then bundle it up into a torrent called Project 1999 Client. This is a folder "Project 1999", which has the script in it and the EverQuest folder.

You download it, open the Project 1999 Folder, click "Start", and now you're ready to play. All you have to do is signup for an account.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lets try and keep the shitty vztz rejects suggestions to a minimum, servers fine for the most part. Population isn't even bad, most people just aren't into EQ pvp. Only thing that might need adjusting is beginning level experience rates.

Realistically though Rogaine don't give a fuck and nothing will change. Either way I will /deal with it sunglasses face.
Agree with the first bit.

I'm not gonna be /dealing with it if the pop keeps dipping though. I've been watching and I'll be watching it.

Earlier today I saw 235 on red versus 428 on blue, which is what prompted me to go ahead make this thread offering a solution to get more casuals playing again + increase player retention.

Entry level exp rate is extremely low-hanging fruit here. It's a value in the database.

The EQ install ease-of-use is great and I agree (you are not the first person to have thought of this), but it is not quite as simple. There are legal hurdles involved.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Planar Protector

Lightbulb

We should ask the bluebies why they quit/won't try the pvp server. They're really the ones we need to convince to play here; they know the game, they're aware of us and all they have to do to access us is make one or two different clicks when they login.

Personally, I think our population would be doing much better if we had managed to muster up a little more civility amongst ourselves. When the server still seemed like just a rumor, many of us took to trolling the blues. We insulted them for playing the game differently, told them we were better than them and were generally very abrasive. Many of them told us that the reason they would not play Red99 is that we were immature and crude.

Then the server releases, and many of them try it out, wanting a new start or something. And we all acted like VZTZ trash, taking every opportunity to screw over our fellow player, and screenshoting everything said in hopes of making them look bad on the messageboard. Cliques from VZTZ were carried over, and these people are the ones that are ahead of the curve now. Their melees had (and have) people to xp with, friends that make the game enjoyable and easier. Then these players take their level, number and gear advantage and seek out every possible target and kill them. There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but after every kill there's taunting and poorly photoshopped screenshots of their corpses posted here.

Server chat could not remain civil, and admins had to step in and start seriously banning forum accounts to make us listen, and even then it only helped a little. We're all trolls, and we're all constantly trolling while we're here. Trolls trolling trolls. I don't know how, but we've managed to attract all the worst sorts of personalities for maintaining a population while the best ones are conspicuously missing. There's no sense of camaraderie here, no one wanting to come together to take down the big bad guys. It's "us against the world" for every guild, and prospective new players are very aware that they're going to be fighting an uphill battle against overwhelming numbers of people in a better position to fight than themselves.

Holocaust and Nihilum are reminding us with every post they make that the rest of us are unimportant. They use words like "non-factor" and "scrub".

None of this is good for the population, and the really sad thing is that none of it is going to change. To the blues, who could have been the lifeblood of this server, we're like a very interesting reality tv show. It's fun for them to watch us get angry at one another and revel in the worst of ourselves.. but they're not about to throw themselves into that train wreck.

Where are the nice people? Where are the fun people? Where are the roleplayers? Why is everything "u mad" and "you got shit on, brah"?

The blue server isn't struggling with their population, despite the slow leveling speed and mean raid guilds. If the devs give in to our whining and make the game easier, I feel we would only be attracting more of the people that are the cause of the low population. The people that don't want to play the game, and only want to troll trolls.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Aviak

While we're somewhat on the topic, allow me to shamelessly plug an idea in my own self-interest:

Get rid of class xp penalties. It's not classic, but there seems to be a reasonable amount of people who would agree both that the server, while resembling classic as much as anything, is not exactly classic, and that all things classic are not necessarily good and/or fun. I mean, we could at least get rid of the penalty affecting group xp, so I don't get turned down by groups of faggy min-maxers.

I got super jelly the other day when this necro told me he gets 5-7% per kill on a yellow (prob exaggerated a bit but still), knowing that I get 1 or 2%, and it takes like 6 minutes and a shitload of arrows. It's not as though the majority of people aren't still gonna roll insert_ezmodeclass_here anyway.
The past few days I've been in some fun and productive groups, but despite my incredibly nerdy amount of playtime, I'm getting outleveled and I'm gonna be back to lame-ass soloing soon I fear.

I won't make any argument about this change helping the server blossom into a big red flower, nor will I repeat here obvious arguments that have probably already been made in these forums, the same ones that led to the change on live. But if we're seriously considering boosting xp rates in any way shape or form, this should also be included in the conversation.

*Author's Note* I know I'm a fucking masochist for playing a ranger, and an idiot, but 40% penalty or not I wanna do the shit.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:45 AM
Sarnak

Boost exp 20-30%, the nostalgia wears off quick on the grind, I'd like to play the game at 50 while there is still enough people to pvp/raid/camp shit with.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also.. I've contemplated buying Skyrim because of my unwillingness to LFG for an hour or so with no luck and soloing .003% a blue every 15 min and then rage logging because I wasted the minimal play time I had..

Is Skyrim worth it?
haha very worth it.. i did the exact same thing sir!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojab [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no yellow text and global ooc downfall of server.
+1
Closed Thread