Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

And until recently religion has been open to the changes.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 09-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagatobLuvsAnimu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I won't tell you again. Wrong thread.
Won't tell me what?

You told me nothing

The name of a school is not proof

Why are you a lying pathetic fraud?
Old 09-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by radditsu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe in the concept of 52 earths. One of them is inhabited by black superman who is also the president of the US. One has all the DC superheros. One of them has captain Carrot. All of them are lorded over by the monitor Nix Uotan.

If I have a choice in myth. I would prefer it be written by Grant Morrison
This is what you guys keep missing. Myth or not, there are tons of lessons in all holy books that are valuable for us. The Bible is a collection of cultural wisdom passed down for hundreds of generations. So is the Avestan, the Quran, Upanishads etc...

Ignore the lessons of you want, but there is something valuable in them if only for philosophical purposes. Who said you had to believe in God? Do you honestly think the Bible offers you nothing even if you don't believe in a deity?

I suppose you shouldn't gaze upon the Parthenon because it was dedicated to Athena or the Sistine Chapel because it has "God" frescoed on its ceiling. I'll never understand how you could not feel the impact of all of our ancestors when you see the Hagia Sofia. Religious belief has been integral to our species for a variety or reasons... ALL of the heritage, art, culture, and philosophy of many generations of various different cultures are expressed primarily through religion
Old 09-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

Typing on my phone so yeah numerous Fuck ups but I'm sure you follow my meaning
Old 09-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radditsu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Says the fellow who believes in an entity that can't be proven to exist besides a book people wrote hundreds of years after the fact. In a time when cultural progress and education was at its nadir.

Take it away jlaw:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can't be proven to exist beyond a book? Now that's a hilarious strawman if there was ever was one. At least you're actually trying now instead of hiding behind attempts at being a shitty comedian

The ATP Synthase Molecule must exist before Life can exist

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

How did it build itself

I also like how you keep claiming the existence of God is only based upon a book, yet shitty comedians like you will point to the textbooks, or hoaxes like peppered moths/Piltdown man and claim Evolution is 100% fact and tested science.

Hilarious
Old 09-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is what you guys keep missing. Myth or not, there are tons of lessons in all holy books that are valuable for us. The Bible is a collection of cultural wisdom passed down for hundreds of generations. So is the Avestan, the Quran, Upanishads etc...

Ignore the lessons of you want, but there is something valuable in them if only for philosophical purposes. Who said you had to believe in God? Do you honestly think the Bible offers you nothing even if you don't believe in a deity?

I suppose you shouldn't gaze upon the Parthenon because it was dedicated to Athena or the Sistine Chapel because it has "God" frescoed on its ceiling. I'll never understand how you could not feel the impact of all of our ancestors when you see the Hagia Sofia. Religious belief has been integral to our species for a variety or reasons... ALL of the heritage, art, culture, and philosophy of many generations of various different cultures are expressed primarily through religion
This is a good post. I agree with all of this.

However, I think there are far too many immoral things in religious literature for it to be considered sound teachings of philosophy or morality altogether. I'm not refuting that there are things in it worth taking, but to most people would need a healthy dose of skepticism and unbelief before diving in to come out of it better off than they were before. Simply ignoring the immorality that is hugely prevalent in all religious scripture would be a daunting task indeed.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Never said it wasnt a good tool to teach people about love, not eating pork because it gives you diseases. And dont bang your wife on the rag. But it does not teach you to think critically or be an individual.

It teaches parables in one hand and restricts behavior in the other, cause god said so. No, some writer said so to as a form of population indoctrination.

Tanrin,Rinat,Sprucewaynee
Old 09-24-2014, 06:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
But it does not teach you to think critically or be an individual.
QFT
Old 09-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Never said it wasnt a good tool to teach people about love, not eating pork because it gives you diseases. And dont bang your wife on the rag. But it does not teach you to think critically or be an individual.

It teaches parables in one hand and restricts behavior in the other, cause god said so. No, some writer said so to as a form of population indoctrination.
You have zero understanding of The Bible
Old 09-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:

You know why it says don't eat pork? Because pork production isn't suited to the Middle East. So the Jews passed an edict and said god will punish you, so that people wouldn't waste resources on pigs. That's why cows are sacred in Hinduism... because cattle are necessary to work the monsoon drenched soil in India...

Again, you guys are missing the intellect of your ancestors. You think the Romans and Egyptians and Jews were just some bums who couldn't explain shit so they sat down one day and made up a myth to corroborate their poor udnerstanding of their environment?

As far as the thinking critically part... I addressed this earlier. Protestant culture was founded upon literacy and critical thinking. Admittedly, this is because they wanted their followers to reject Catholicism. Nonetheless, it worked out... Ask America, Sweden, Canada, NZ, Aus, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Estonia, the Netherlands, Switzerland... etc etc

Protestantism was a religious creed that emphasized critical thinking and individualism. As to what it is now, that's a differetn debate

And seriously I'm done this thread is getting us no where haha LST POST for realz