Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The things you mention are for the CSRs, not for the players.
I can see the logic, but if they are for CSRs why show them to players? Pulling an already-engaged raid mob off of another guild was illegal on live, just as it is here. Players didn't have FTE messages to work with.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the real issue that people have is that there are a number of non-classic changes in place on the server, most notably the Ivandyr's Hoop nerf (but no nerfs to Soulfire or Reapers), FTE messages, and variance on raid mob spawn times.

It doesn't make very much sense to have strict adherence to "classic, warts and all" when there are also changes made specifically by the devs that are non-classic.

If you're going to remove buff timers, why keep FTE messages in place? It's essentially the same thing - additional information for the player that was not available during the timeline of the server (or ever, for FTE messages).
Just addressing the use of FTE messages, not advocating for or against them (they are clearly not classic), but just explaining the context and why they were implemented:

Without the use of FTE messages EVERY single boss kill with 2 more guilds present in the zone was immediately petitioned (a lot of times before the boss even died) to determine who had the rights to loot the corpse. A lot of boss kills turned into 150+ person dogpiles to kill steal each other. A lot of times GMs were not available immediately to call the engage and rightful loot owner, so people would loot the items and no drops and award items only to have the GMs later strip the items from the characters and give them to new characters because someone else actually had the rightful FTE. This resulted in quite of a number of epic weapons being destroyed, then the constituent pieces having to be reimbursed and the other pieces redistributed.

So instead of requiring that an unpaid volunteer GM be available for every single boss spawn and/or doing hours and hours of back in log pulls and item swaps each week, they added FTE messages which serve the same purpose of being a virtual "GM" to call the engage.
Last edited by Ele; 08-10-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Old 08-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I got conditioned to do it during classic and never changed. Even when I played live around 2011-2012 at level 90-95, I medded with spell book open every time. The only characters I had a Sit/Stand button accessible on were those who had FD.
I do this too out of habit, plus the spell book button is easier than having a sit key on your hotbar.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:43 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just addressing the use of FTE messages, not advocating for or against them (they are clearly not classic), but just explaining the context and why they were implemented:

Without the use of FTE messages EVERY single boss kill with 2 more guilds present in the zone was immediately petitioned (a lot of times before the boss even died) to determine who had the rights to loot the corpse. A lot of boss kills turned into 150+ person dogpiles to kill steal each other. A lot of times GMs were not available immediately to call the engage and rightful loot owner, so people would loot the items and no drops and award items only to have the GMs later strip the items from the characters and give them to new characters because someone else actually had the rightful FTE. This resulted in quite of a number of epic weapons being destroyed, then the constituent pieces having to be reimbursed and the other pieces redistributed.

So instead of requiring that an unpaid volunteer GM be available for every single boss spawn and/or doing hours and hours of back in log pulls and item swaps each week, they added FTE messages which serve the same purpose of being a virtual "GM" to call the engage.
The alternative to this is to just not answer the petitions and let the rules of the game take over. Warts and all as the zealots say.

The rules of the software are pretty clear about how this should work: whoever does 51% of the damage gets the loot. ( I think those are the rules, but admittedly I don't know the specific details).

The reason those petitions got answered at all was to create an environment that people actually want to play in. And ultimately, to keep an environment that people wanted to play in, that system was automated and improved to reduce the cost of maintaining that environment.

Despite what they say, the actions of the devs indicate that they want people to come here and enjoy playing the EverQuest that they remember.

I don't think there is a logically-consistent policy that determines which warts are acceptable and which aren't. We are at the mercy and whims of the devs here, and each person needs to decide for themselves whether or not they are okay with that. Lawyering and complaining on the forums isn't going to change the course of anything.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryachart [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lawyering and complaining on the forums isn't going to change the course of anything.
nope, but it sure as hell helps to pass the time at work
Old 08-10-2015, 05:48 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nope, but it sure as hell helps to pass the time at work
That it does.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Kobold

Quote:
I think the real issue that people have is that there are a number of non-classic changes in place on the server, most notably the Ivandyr's Hoop nerf (but no nerfs to Soulfire or Reapers), FTE messages, and variance on raid mob spawn times.

It doesn't make very much sense to have strict adherence to "classic, warts and all" when there are also changes made specifically by the devs that are non-classic.

If you're going to remove buff timers, why keep FTE messages in place? It's essentially the same thing - additional information for the player that was not available during the timeline of the server (or ever, for FTE messages).

Agree with this post +1.

I think these non-classic changes are to make a more good environment for players to play, thus NOT for the server to be more classic.

So what's the goal of this server and what the dev want? I guess it's not to be strictly CLASSIC, but keeping the spirit of CLASSIC, to keep peoples feeling that it is a classic everquest for most of the content.

Classic is classic, no one can go back to 1999, there's no time mechine, no 56k modem,no 64m memory,no pentium cpu. So let the server be ,let the ui be. It's already very classic now, at least most players here feel so.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haynar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So. In the Classic spirit. Besides scroll wheel, what other classic client feature would tick people off as much as spell timers, if it were removed?

H
stamina drain on melee, swim

penalties

100 stam cap

research done on it 8]
Old 08-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
stamina drain on melee, swim

penalties

100 stam cap

research done on it 8]
Yes, please. Velious is very melee friendly. Need some Haynar to balance that flavor.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:40 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, to answer the other thread entitled, "why don't more people play 99?"

Because it's intentionally clunky as shit.
WaAaaah couldn't get your eq live name !?! Waaaaaah cry more and fuck off
Closed Thread