Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Kobold

A few things stick out to me when I first started playing. It was my brother that got me into it. I believe I made a high elf cleric first.

I looked at him and said "What the hell is the point of intelligence? I'M the one playing the character! Why does HE need to be smarter, I'm controlling everything he does."

I was also confused by the concept of saving/camping (keep in mind, I came from console RPGs). Possessing an obsessive need to save my progress I asked, "how do you save?" He goes, "you really don't save, you camp out." I said "ok, so until I camp out, if I die, I'll return to level 1? I just have to keep camping out every 15 minutes to make sure I don't lose progress?" I just didn't understand the concept of a game without a save feature.

I also seemed to remember thinking clerics were super strong, because strike nuked for like 7 damage but shock of frost only hit for 4 or 5. (by the way, how stupid is that?)

I also had the standard corpse story. A high level player had given me bronze armor, I became emboldened and somehow wandered off to orc hill. Lost my corpse and was so dejected.

I remember giving a banker 10 plat when I meant to just bank it. That was an incredible sum of money for me and I was sick to my stomach for hours.

I remember telling my brother to always interact with wolves because "they seemed to be really nice and I always see them handing out items).

He had given me coupons for Christmas. One of them was "an extra hour of EQ" (we shared a computer back then and had to take turns). I remember redeeming that bad boy when I hit level 12 on my mage and got burnout. Man, was I a bad ass.

Good times.
Last edited by Mirana; 02-04-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

Necroing because this thread deserve front page exposure.

My contribution:

I remember refusing to use taunt on my level 3 Paladin back in 1999 because it had been explained to me that it made the mobs want to attack you. I remember thinking at that time, "where's the benefit in that????"

I remember deciding mesmerize was a pretty useless spell after experimenting with it solo in gfay and reinforcing that understanding while grouping on Orc hill. I don't remember how many more levels it took before the epiphany struck or how many more levels of subsequent explanation and training of group members before I was merrily mezzing away.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Orc

Bear in mind I'm 23 now, but when my 8-10 year old self was playing this game back around 2000 I was a lot more naive.

It started with Saturday morning getting up early to get some play time in on the one computer in the house before my dad booted me off.

Ran into a very nice Bard in EC on my low level Human Warrior (there's my first mistake). He proceeded to have me follow him back to the forge in EFP and make me a full set of banded, which I was ecstatic about.

Well he also tossed some brandy in the trade window as well (for kicks, I guess), and sent me on my way. I couldn't believe what had just happened and was super excited to destroy anything in my way back in EC.

Unfortunately, I also had never experienced imbibing alcohol in the game (I thought I'd get in trouble if I made my character drink because I couldn't drink in RL). But I thought I would try it out before my parents got up, 'cause no one would ever know.

Needless to say, I started flipping out the second I right-clicked 4 or so of them because the screen warped. I thought I had broken the screen, or had done something irreversible to the UI and was eternally screwed. After debating with myself for a few minutes on how I needed to approach this dire situation, I tried talking to the guy who hooked me up with the banded armor, unaware, of course, that I was thoroughly inebriated and unintelligible to him.

So I broke down and woke my dad up to confess my sins, and both my parents got a good laugh out of it. Of course, when I went downstairs to show him the effects were pretty much gone. I'll never forget that morning.

60 Cleric - Toradol Ketorolac
53 Druid - Ivermectin

<Fires of Heaven>
Last edited by Othniel626; 04-03-2015 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Grammatical
Old 04-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Kobold

Started EQ with a RL friend in '99. We both started human paladins because it seemed the like ultimate class by being able to heal and use a sword. In the game booklet when it explains the starting stats it says that intelligence helps you increase your skills faster. We thought this meant we would level up faster, so we put our points towards intelligence for quick leveling up and into charisma so we could buy items for less money.

I stuck with that guy into the 40's and made more blunders. I got two valuable loot pieces and squandered them both. I got a glowing black stone, which was worth a lot of plat. I traded it for a wurmslayer right before the value of the wurmslayer tanked to 10% of what the GBS was worth. The other nice loot I got was a thick banded belt. I came across a guy with a similar name as my guild leader and started telling him about my new TBB. He pretended to be my guild leader and said, let me see how high my ATK is wearing the TBB, then he instantly went LD when I handed it over. I was so devastated I wrote a letter to SOE trying to explain what this guy did.

Before I even got my wurmslayer I was running past some guys and the weapon appeared on the ground and my cursor was right on it so I clicked it up. It's a giant item and the guy must have not had room in his inventory when they traded it. I gave it back, because I'm not a dick.

My next character, a rogue, was on a late night Trakanon raid and after the first attempt wiped without much damage done to Trak some people were dropping out so I figured there was no way we'd ever kill this thing. After the CR I was tired, said something in raid chat like, "I'm lagging guys what the hell.." and made it appear that I had gone linkdead by unplugging my internet. The next day I discovered they killed Trak, the rogue BP dropped, and there were no rogues present to loot it, and it would have been mine. But it wasn't.

Thanks for reading, and I'm glad some other people made some serious blunders that make mine not look too bad.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Sarnak

I remember on my mage when I first got my invis spell (level 8ish) I was on sister island in oot and my pet was getting destroyed so I thought eh ill just invis myself and be safe. Well pet died with invis spell and then the sister ran over and found me for some reason even though i was invis... learned that the hard way.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Large Rat

In about 2000 my friend got me into EQ and gave me a bunch of gear. I then played almost nonstop for about 3 weeks to get up into the high 30s I think. Anyway, I has down trying to solo in hhk cause I couldn't find a grp. I had a mob down to about 30% or so and suddenly he heals up to about 80% and shortly after I die. I then preceed to /yell "Who healed my mob and got me killed?"...
Closed Thread