Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

Oh, I advertise as RedCraft. I advertise the fuck out of it as RedCraft. And I will 'til someone puts up something more RedCraft.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:45 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubwise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, I advertise as RedCraft. I advertise the fuck out of it as RedCraft. And I will 'til someone puts up something more RedCraft.
More purple than red really.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:36 AM
Planar Protector

at first it sounded cool and was gonna buy minecraft to join, but now it sounds like Barbie's playhouse or something
Old 08-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Large Rat

Sorry for the long posts. I’m curious what MMO-type games you think have a more-red base protection scheme.

Take EvE, possibly the best PvP MMO ever made. Please correct me if I’m confused. In EvE you are only in danger when in a ship. That might seem moot because the whole game is in a ship, but really it isn’t. Also, if you make an outpost in a dark corner of space, it isn’t likely that anyone is going to fuck with you, but even if they did, someone who just joined the game today definitely isn’t going to hurt your outpost, right? Unlike in vanilla Minecraft where an unprotected base can be completely decimated by a single brand new player using nothing more than a diamond pick, some TNT, or water and lava.

How about Darkfall? I’m not sure if it has changed, but a player house was 100% solid when you were offline except the door, which is really just an annoyance. Full clan bases could technically be sieged by one person, but that would never happen due to the costs and difficulty.

In Rust when I played it last, a player could destroy a large metal base with enough C4, again expensive, and on many servers, virtually nonexistent (for a reason).

Now I played on Battlecraft (Minecraft), where they used protection plus redstone locks to defend bases. That didn’t end up being any different, because clicking buttons at random all day is not fun. I’ve played on several servers that used a TNT canon protection (durability), and though I think that is the best system I’ve seen so far, and well tested, it isn’t perfect. Existing examples like Gontroller and Savage force you to farm for TNT and obsidian all day, and the server still ends up being filled up with giant black bases that cost enormous resources to have any hope of penetrating. Basically as good as EvE.

So other than a durability system like canons or what Lucid suggested, I can’t imagine a more-red server that is in any way fun at all. The protection in RedCraft does not disable PvP anywhere, not even in bases. Bases can only be 80x80. Redcraft is actually pretty red. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, as I mentioned, the primary reason we stuck sponges in there was because it is simple, and thus, pretty close to vanilla. Orbi wants vanilla, and I don’t want to spend hours configuring plugins for a server that isn’t mine. Every durability based protection scheme has a learning curve. Nothing wrong with that, just that Citadel and TNT cannons are further from vanilla and take some learning and some tweaking beyond just putting down a block and getting on with things.

I’ve never put Citadel on a server I’ve built, even when it was still being updated, simply because I find it boring without a lot of re-configuring. Nothing against it, but as an example, a direct quote from the devs “For example, if you protect a glass block with an iron ingot, you will have to break the glass block 250 times before it is actually broken.” Your opinion may differ, but hitting a block 250 times doesn't seem like it adds any fun to the game.

I use TNT cannons on my servers because they add a fair amount more strategy with less effort. It would not be impossible to combine them though. The benefit of a canon-based durability system is that you have to shoot the TNT from a distance, adding some complexity to the mix, and you have to gather the resources. Citadel could probably be implemented like that with some work, such as adding a secondary protection system in to disallow direct TNT placement, and making durability so high that no one would bother to drill to your chests with a pick. Then again, I don’t know if citadel really adds enough value over any other durability plugin to make it worth gambling on a plugin that isn't being updated regularly. You don’t know the pain of trying to upgrade to a new version of Minecraft and then realizing that you can’t because all your plugins stop working. Vanilla has its benefits.
Last edited by Gusy; 08-28-2014 at 04:52 PM..
Old 09-03-2014, 03:47 AM
Banned

Did the sponges get disabled? I've been running around and noticed that I'm not getting the messages about the protected zones anymore.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Banned

Finally started poking up and building above ground/water.

Not quite as grandiose as I'd like it to be yet, but I am down to 6 stacks of nether brick so it'll be a bit before I expand it.

Building in survival mode gives you that feeling of satisfaction that creative mode just lacks. It's like EQ vs WoW.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Planar Protector

Exciting news.

The server has updated to version 1.8!

With this comes a long awaited change. For a while now I've been on the fence between base protect and full vanilla. I felt like 1.8 was the time to change. The server has gone 100% vanilla. I have disabled Spigot. This means no more base protect. No more /spawn command.

I realize this makes our world very vulnerable. For this reason I have enabled the whitelist. If you've been playing here regularly; don't worry. You're already added to the list. Beware: Boxes are no longer protectable and you will need to log out with your cherished items in your inventory for them to be truly safe. You've been warned.

As for now I will not be advertising the server. I am working on getting some kind of website up and a process for application to join, in order to seed out the would-be cheaters. Stay tuned, game on!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 AM
Banned

Looks like the areas with the bases have been saved but the areas around them are reloaded as new chunks. This is exciting because not far from where I was I found a nice little village where as I hadn't seen one at all so far besides the spawn village.

Then of course there was the part that I was really excited about.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:11 AM
Banned

TFW I died and the server went down before I could get my stuff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
5 wither skulls...
Old 09-05-2014, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

There has been some billing errors and the service has been interrupted. I apologize. The server will be back up soon.
Closed Thread