Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Large Rat

Thanks so much for the replies everyone, after hearing all of your advice I think I'll stick with my Shadow Knight for now and give a bit of time to Shaman and Ranger when I get bored to feel out which I really enjoy the most.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Sarnak

Rangers are actually pretty powerful, especially when they get their epics. They are a fun class to play and weapon shield is best speed-bump skill in game. They definitely have uses at all stages of the game.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:31 PM
Planar Protector

For min max, ogre is the race to go... But if min maxing you would not go sk anyway... pick the race you fancy, any race will be perfect for single group content
Old 06-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummyfish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks so much for the replies everyone, after hearing all of your advice I think I'll stick with my Shadow Knight for now and give a bit of time to Shaman and Ranger when I get bored to feel out which I really enjoy the most.
Nice thing about SK is you'll get tells to go join groups. People always be needing tanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:43 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nice thing about SK is you'll get tells to go join groups. People always be needing tanks.
Hehe, I hope so! I can be pretty shy sometimes asking for groups, so having people come to me would be awesome. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-01-2018, 05:30 AM
Planar Protector

Play what feels right.

I have. 60 Ogre Shaman... Shamans excel in Duo’s, Truos and solo.

My advice is pick the race and class you want. Don’t care what anyone else says... This will be your main a char you spend days of play time on... pick what you really, really want. And if that takes 7 different chars and a few months of trying out to figure out that’s ok... At least at that point you should have acquired some pp and gear to make it a bit easier on your chosen main!! Good luck and don’t be shy to try out different options. Make sure you don’t settle though! Get the race and class you truly want!! Msg Cisco sometime once you figure out what that is!
Old 07-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Planar Protector

SK in my humble opinion is excellent. Arguably better XP content pullers than Monks, infinite aggro means you are always tanking, snare/invis/ivu/bobbing corpse are always useful, lifetaps give you something of a panic button, pet/dots are a bit of extra damage, Knight weapons/shields are generally cheap, and adding up all that gives you one of the best melee dungeon soloing classes.

Shamans are good leveling up but it's really Torpor that sends them over the top. You will be considered primarily a healer while leveling, but you will do it via slow & regen (and above all casting Cannibalize 1000s of times) more than actually healing.

Rangers are just weak. It's a DPS class that does less damage than a Warrior, let alone a Rogue or Monk. Outside the spell book is pretty good but when you move indoors and lose Harmony and Wolf Form/SoW you are down to snare and a bunch of expensive nukes that you can't cast. There are basically no worthwhile outdoor zones in Velious except PoG if you want to roleplay Chaotic Evil.

I would suggest that you keep going with the SK. A few suggestions:
  • FD and splits are a huge part of the SK's toolkit. If you haven't started, start working on that. Buy stalking probes and setup your GUI so spellcasting goes to a separate window, which makes it a lot easier to time Feign Death.
  • Go Sword and Board. You'll take less damage with a shield, be able to bash, and barely lose any dps as the Knight weapons are very cheap (Noctivagant Blade: 2K).
  • Make the groups. If you are decent at FD splitting, you and any healer should be a group - not necessarily a great one, but most of the people that would rather sit on their butts LFG than duo suck. Log in and /w all cleric 45 55, repeat for enchanters and shaman, and gradually build up a friend list.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Fire Giant

There is no race / class combo that is so bad that it will be excluded from getting a group as it's role. Yes there is meta picks for some classes but the difference between the best and the worst still isn't that big.

And once you get to velious gearing the racial stat difference is barely noticeable with maybe ogre broken starting stamina as possibly the only exception

Apart from that race only matters for faction and the small racial benefits like better vision / hide / sneak / exp bonus / regen
Old 07-01-2018, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Don't roll gnome and you'll get group invites.

Damn gnomes. Ruined Akanon.
Closed Thread