Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry VZTZ bros, YT doesn't solve shit. If you want to brag about your kill, take a screenshot and post it.

More so than not, the one who gets the YT got a lucky hit, only did 5% total damage to the person and gets to see their name announced to the server. Amazzzzzzzzzzing. I rather my druid in my group be watching my health and healing me instead of trying to get that nuke off when X player is at 3% health and they think they can get that YT.

OOC... yea I could see this being helpful and there would definitely need to be a way to toggle it on and off.

The server pop sucks because it caters to the poop-socking, basement dwelling, 10+ hour days of grinding neck-beards.

You can't deny this. If you're level 50 with decent gear, I welcome you to post your /played time bros. It's probably disgusting.

XP needs to be multiplied to an adequate level to support the small community. Face it, the amount of people who play or who want to play EQ PvP doesn't come close to those who want to blue it up. Even with the scaling bonus and being power leveled, it takes a ridiculous amount of time.

At this point of the server the population for lvl 1-40 is basically non existent and when you finally get 40+, prepared to get stomped on by the people with 25+ days /played.

in b4 Harrison - you're fat
in b4 Lazorfag - your brother is better than you

As Princess Salty would say, "come at me bros"....
I don't think this is altogether unreasonable, and I agree with a lot of what you said about YT.

As for exp, I've played on boxes with 10x exp and this is what happens: people rush to 50 (usually somewhere far off like paineel where they can avoid pvp at all costs) and then the non-soloers who were left behind are left with an even bigger ghost town since no one is in their range anymore. People who are done leveling to 50 have even less motivation to log in because one of their main goals (grinding) is already complete. p99's population was highest right after kunark launched because people weren't finished grinding to 60 yet; similarly red99's pop was highest early on also.

There are other reasons why rushing to 50 is bad. It means you get no mid-level pvp. For those of you who think this is non-existent, you probably run every time you're evenly matched so please kindly shut up :). I engaged in pvp at every single level, all the way from 1 to 49 (I'm still 49 but I can guarantee that there'll be pvp at 50 also). Mid-level pvp is important because it means you have to constantly master your class at different stages of its development. On pvp servers with slow exp Bards have even clearer milestones than on other servers (level 5 is Selo's, level 15 is ae mez, 27 is charm, 30/38/46 are your dots, and there are a bunch of other important pvp spells in between). This is important because the amount of time you spend in a particular level range is longer, so it takes more skill to competently play your class and adjust to not having as much utility. On a server with fast exp, it wouldn't matter that before level 28 I don't have my targeted mez, since I could grind to 28 in a day.

It also takes more skill to have to hold a camp longer without (a) getting killed by mobs or (b) getting dirtnapped by another player. Moreover, it takes skill to develop strategies for leveling quickly and efficiently (ever been in a group with a slow puller or people who AFK constantly? On a fast exp server this behavior still gets you to level 50 quickly. On a slow exp server you can't get away with this).
Holding a camp for the 2 days it takes to get to level 50 on fast-exp servers is not a challenge at all, since it goes by so quickly that there's less impact when errors are made.

These might not be things you or other VZTZers come to this server for, but it's a reason I come here and am still interested in the server. I'd say that even if it did raise the population, significantly boosting the exp would still not be a good idea. Their goal is to recreate the classic experience (or something close to it), and 10x exp kills that.

TLDR: okay, this post is too long. What I'm basically saying is that you don't need to be level 50 for EQ to be enjoyable, and each level along the way is its own new challenge. I'm not saying 10x exp servers are not fun, just that I and many others do not prefer them.

edit: as for my /played, I'm not logged in nor have I logged in for at least a week, but it's floating somewhere around 12 days. I played pretty casually and did not emphasize grinding that much, so the typical player around my level probably has less /played. Obviously this is a lot, but if you think of the journey to 50 as something you spread out over a few months and enjoy instead of something you're trying to rush, then it's not so bad.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Last edited by Lazortag; 03-30-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The server pop sucks because it caters to the poop-socking, basement dwelling, 10+ hour days of grinding neck-beards.

Welcome to Everquest. (tutorial voice)
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

TLDR: okay, this post is too long. What I'm basically saying is that you don't need to be level 50 for EQ to be enjoyable, and each level along the way is its own new challenge. I'm not saying 10x exp servers are not fun, just that I and many others do not prefer them.

edit: as for my /played, I'm not logged in nor have I logged in for at least a week, but it's floating somewhere around 12 days. I played pretty casually and did not emphasize grinding that much, so the typical player around my level probably has less /played. Obviously this is a lot, but if you think of the journey to 50 as something you spread out over a few months and enjoy instead of something you're trying to rush, then it's not so bad.
Ok you actually surprised me, I thought you were gonna come here and try to spin everything.

The thing is, there is no population to support the mid level PvP.. you're basically playing P99 Blue with no one to group with until you hit 40+ then you're going to get spanked by the people who have been farming gear for the last 2-3 months..

The truth is, especially with our server's population, the game really does begin at lvl 50. People want to contest mobs, camps, zones, etc... no one wants to level up in empty zones, or have some random twink roll up and destroy you. If all of those zones were populated and there were groups to find at every level I could understand the argument.

It's been a few months now (we've warned the devs over and over)... the server isn't going to sustain itself in it's current state, why not trying boosting XP, get more people into the 40-50 range, see some new guilds form, and sit back and watch the PvP unfold...

I guess I am crazy..
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
leaderboards ...........
at least yellow text and a leaderboard would provide some form of motivation.
God damn, yes, leaderboards. And yellow text might not do anything but bring back 5 people but I would love to see it. I think most of all, to fix the population, stop all the goddamn doomsday talk/flaming on the r99 boards and maybe get someone that can code to fix all the bugs.

Also punish the exploiters that have gone unscathed, find different punishment besides perma-ban. People say kunark would fix things but tbh with this population it would just kill the server. Already have said it but fix the bugs and problems + add yt/global ooc before making any game changes. Wait a week, see if it helps, then go along with progression anyways.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Sarnak

I've been getting dirtnapped by lowbies everywhere I go, haha... the mid levels might be different, but there are definitely lower characters playing.

Kazroth, level 11 Ogre Shaman
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

YT will bring atleast 50 players back.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwoth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
leaderboards as well, currently the server is pointless to play on as it gets old killing the same nihilum zergers for the 800th time whereupon i get to sit and med for 10 minutes, having made them lose nothing for their death and having gained nothing for my victory.

at least yellow text and a leaderboard would provide some form of motivation.
A leaderboard, yea... that would be cool. It would need to be created in a way that it cannot be exploited, which would take some dev time away from some more important things.

I still don't see why YT is so important. We've all seen it on VZTZ.. people will camp nakeds and grief people on CRs and act like they're #1 when the YT is announced to the server.

Yes, I agree it's awesome when a real mass PvP fight is going down, or even the rare legit group PvP but other than that it's just used a griefing tool.

As I've already said, if its so important to you people, just post a screenshot of your kills on the forums... you guys are just gonna screen shot the YT anyway...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
YT will bring atleast 50 players back.
Maybe 5 people.

YT isn't going to bring back the casual players that really want to play.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You still playin' Dirty D?
negative, playing haven and hearth (ffa, permadeath) again atm waiting for the salem (new h&h) beta to start.

doubt i will play much if any r99 unless the pop picks back up to at least 200+ on an average night instead of the current sub 100 with under 20 during the low peak.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
negative, playing haven and hearth (ffa, permadeath) again atm waiting for the salem (new h&h) beta to start.

doubt i will play much if any r99 unless the pop picks back up to at least 200+ on an average night instead of the current sub 100 with under 20 during the low peak.
You mean... this... wait.

You ... wait.

You ma... no ... hm.

What I'm trying to say is good job not playing here anymore, loser (like me)! Right? I think that's what needs to be said.
Closed Thread