Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Very cool...just to make sure I understand, you need people in EC to send in their logs of people auctioning different items, and then you take that data and add it to this feature on the wiki so everyone can see the going rate on items? If so, what's the process for uploading the log files? Is this data automatically stored somewhere in our EQ folder, or do we have to type something in game for it to start keeping track of the text?
You have to type /log on a character to start tracking the logs, and then it becomes a text file eqlog.txt, which you upload to the site.
Serilis - 60 Wizard
Decisive - 60 Bard
Winsloe - 60 Rogue
Zaggasauarus - 27 Necro
Old 09-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Aviak

Ah ok, thanks. If/when I'm in EC I'll make one.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:56 AM
Kobold

Man, this is going to make it much harder for Armani to charge 33% above market value for items...

Great work =)
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Planar Protector

Today, I notice something while previewing the Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate page. I do not think the log accurately interprets "K" for thousand. There are two entries, one on the 21st and another on the 26th for "30" while all of the other entries are for 28000-32000. These two entries for 30 dramatically reduce the average price as outliers. I am willing to bet that these are actually "30K" or "30k" and not being auctioned for "30". Is there any way for you to parse the metric abbreviation for 1000 appropriately?

Thanks for all the work you have done on bringing this feature to the wiki, as well as all of the other work you do for the wiki. It truly is an amazing resource.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Fire Giant

I think the more likely explanation is that the log parser correctly interprets the K suffix, but in these cases, the seller left it out. People do that sometimes for expensive items where it's clear they're talking about 30k, not 30pp.

If the parser didn't correctly interpret the K suffix, I think we'd see way more errors like this. After all, when was the last time you saw an auction like "WTS Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate 28000pp"?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Sarnak

Phobus I think is right in this case, the parser has trouble reading people's minds =/

In any case I am implementing an "outlier rejection" algorithm to remove prices which are wildly wrong. Missing the "k" will make it 1000x smaller than normal so it will take care of those.

And bump for more logs!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Fire Giant

That would be helpful - I think the Goonquest site threw out any prices outside 3 standard deviations.

I have a lot of log data collected while Goonquest has been down, but I need to split it up in order to upload it. I'll get to it soon.

Any plans for allowing people to fix/remove misspelled items, incorrect prices, etc? Maybe just for logged-in wiki users?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

Sounds great! Now if only people would actually put prices in their auctions.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

You've convinced me that its plausible that someone left out the "K" suffix. But bringing it up still does get the outlier issue looked at. Also, it bumps this up to the front page again, which is always good =).

Again, amazing work Ravhin!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I'm a little confused... are people posting logs of people /auctioning with prices, or are they posting logs of actual completed transactions? It seems like the former would give a lot more data points, but they wouldn't necessarily be as accurate. Just because people are willing to CHARGE X doesn't mean people are willing to PAY it...
Closed Thread