It is detrimental to the server health 12 9.92%
Should be limited to certain times/places 22 18.18%
No opinion at all 23 19.01%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Aviak

Default Great Responses

Great Replies all. I always appreciate an intelligent debate. My question now keeps us on target but heads in a slightly different direction:

"At what point, if any, does power leveling get to a point where it takes away from other players enjoyment of the game?"

A big argument for no boxing was that it would somehow deter grouping and lead people to solo more and take away from legitimate groups. I am quite neutral here on all topics, but i just wonder where is the grey area between not allowing boxing, but turning a blind eye to certain PL'ers that seem to be causing the same detrimental effect?

What is your thoughts?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladigan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"At what point, if any, does power leveling get to a point where it takes away from other players enjoyment of the game?"
When at peak time, some guild decides it wants to move in to a popular camp (such as the lake or GY at Mistmoore, or even the castle) and deprive a legit XP group of being able to level at the speed they're capable of. It's happened to me, it's happened to a lot of people I know... and Amelinda has previously said that it needs to stop. There's no grey area in this, if you want to PL during peak hours, take it to Droga/Nurga/somewhere quiet and leave the standard groups to enjoy the more common levelling zones... because I'll bet 100k plat that if you, as a power leveller were in their shoes, you'd be pissed off as well.

Quote:
A big argument for no boxing was that it would somehow deter grouping and lead people to solo more and take away from legitimate groups. I am quite neutral here on all topics, but i just wonder where is the grey area between not allowing boxing, but turning a blind eye to certain PL'ers that seem to be causing the same detrimental effect?
You can box/merc on every other non-P99 server, if you want to box...show us a clean pair of heels and do it elsewhere. 2-boxing makes grouping for regular players more difficult as it usually involves a tank/healer combo that doesn't want extras. I'd hate to zone into Oasis/Unrest/etc and see 2-boxing everywhere and not be able to get a group. You're just encouraging more solo play on the server due to too much LFG time and there's plenty of necros floating around already.

Boxing hasn't been tested on this server, but it wouldn't be a change for the better. Classic EQ was all about grouping with others and learning a class together as a group, not isolating yourself because you can do things quicker.

Also you'd see an increase in people levelling accounts to sell off, so there's no benefit to new players on the server at all.
Last edited by Swish; 10-21-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can box/merc on every other non-P99 server, if you want to box...show us a clean pair of heels and do it elsewhere. 2-boxing makes grouping for regular players more difficult as it usually involves a tank/healer combo that doesn't want extras. I'd hate to zone into Oasis/Unrest/etc and see 2-boxing everywhere and not be able to get a group. You're just encouraging more solo play on the server due to too much LFG time and there's plenty of necros floating around already.

Boxing hasn't been tested on this server, but it wouldn't be a change for the better. Classic EQ was all about grouping with others and learning a class together as a group, not isolating yourself because you can do things quicker.

Also you'd see an increase in people levelling accounts to sell off, so there's no benefit to new players on the server at all.
Wasnt meaning to turn this into a boxing thread.. but you make my point here... Imagine zoning into those same zones you mentioned and not be able to get a single kill because 1 (or supposedly 2) person/people is PLing?

I agree with your points on boxing, but my question is: "Isn't encouraging or allowing PLing causing the same negative effect?"
Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Planar Protector

The ability to power level in this game is one of the major things that separates EQ from any other game. Mainly because no other game has the system where a lvl 50 can make a lowbie god to similar conned mobs (as the lowbie). The only reasons that really anyone can come up with is lack of mobs or lack of groups. However the server is a low populated server, a lot of people don't want to spend the time leveling up slow. The only problem with some plers which these are the ones why people get tainted views on Pling, are the ones that are douchebags that are inconsiderate of other people trying to level. Funny enough, the GMs don't ban these guys, so what's there to do?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Planar Protector

Not if they stay away from a populated MM/Unrest/etc. That's the point, keep the PL'ing in quieter zones - Kunark is a prime example of quiet dungeons among others. Places like Nurga and Droga are far too quiet for how good the XP is. Ever levelled in Runnyeye on P99? Nor have most people - give PL'ing a try in there.

I'm not against PL'ers, it's nice to have a break from the grind if you've got the people at the top end who have the time to spare... but just be sensible about it and let other groups enjoy the game too rather than crowding them out of an area. Mistmoore is always the one that got me, we'd wait around for spawns because they'd been cleared out by a PL group who finish them off in seconds.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not if they stay away from a populated MM/Unrest/etc. That's the point, keep the PL'ing in quieter zones - Kunark is a prime example of quiet dungeons among others. Places like Nurga and Droga are far too quiet for how good the XP is. Ever levelled in Runnyeye on P99? Nor have most people - give PL'ing a try in there.

I'm not against PL'ers, it's nice to have a break from the grind if you've got the people at the top end who have the time to spare... but just be sensible about it and let other groups enjoy the game too rather than crowding them out of an area. Mistmoore is always the one that got me, we'd wait around for spawns because they'd been cleared out by a PL group who finish them off in seconds.
The problem with kunark Pling over old world Pling is that kunark mobs have more HP and hit a lot harder and the xp isn't better, it's actually worse.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Planar Protector

You mean dalnir, a cramped maze of a dungeon with a teleporter exit, that is full of clerics and shadowknights and necromancers, isn't a better place to PL than unrest?! NO WAY!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mean dalnir, a cramped maze of a dungeon with a teleporter exit, that is full of clerics and shadowknights and necromancers, isn't a better place to PL than unrest?! NO WAY!!!
cool down on the sarcasm.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with kunark Pling over old world Pling is that kunark mobs have more HP and hit a lot harder and the xp isn't better, it's actually worse.
Fair enough, there's still Splitpaw, Najena, Befallen, Cazic, Upper Guk, Runnyeye (as mentioned)... and for the adventurous, Permafrost. Most of them except for Perma are reasonably close to a druid ring, so entirely accessible [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Fair enough, there's still Splitpaw, Najena, Befallen, Cazic, Upper Guk, Runnyeye (as mentioned)... and for the adventurous, Permafrost. Most of them except for Perma are reasonably close to a druid ring, so entirely accessible [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Splitpaw, it's pretty damn amazing there. Najena, not the greatest the mobs are too split up, it's only good for a few levels, and mob level has a really weird variance to it, Befallen isn't terrible, but still far far far below unrest with all the lockdoors, a surprisingly small amount of mobs, Cazic- too many casters iirc, level change in mobs is too much. Upperguk, super low exp gain from there, no sow. Runnyeye, I never really did too much there but after all ways getting lost in there I called it quits.

See the problem with perma, it's too big, mobs are too far apart.

If there was one place in kunark (from what I know of) that I would powerlevel in I would do sarnak fortress, however the mobs there hit like a truck and the respawn time will get you unless you're on your guard.
Closed Thread