Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Planar Protector

1. Primary (see Arrisard's post)
2. Duration is 1 tick (6 seconds between ticks). My advice is to repeatedly recast this song and twist nothing else. Its great at locking down a TON of mobs, but think of it more like chaincasting stun indefinitely than a mez (except doing damage breaks the stun, so it won't work for AEing).
3. Hymn/Anthem/Selos slow/Chords sounds pretty "standard" as long as you aren't trying to CC.
4. No buff is a mixed blessing, as Arrisard points out. Sure it sucks that it's only when it ticks, but that allows it to stack with EVERYTHING. I believe to be equivalent to clarity you need to cast it every other song, something like haste-mana-slow-mana-haste-etc, but its been a while since I've done the math on it. At end-game, there is no mana regen that compares to 55manasong + 3x 32manasong twists.
5 & 6. Yup.
7. Culprit has tanked lots of seb just fine. Clerics will complain because you'll have ~3khps instead of 5k, but you also provide mana regen, so they shouldn't have to complain. I wouldn't want to tank Juggs, but krups aren't too bad.
8. Songs last 3 ticks (except special ones like AE mez), and once it lands, its good. You won't have "early" charm or mez breaks. I've gotten the feel for charming. For me, 3 ticks is four songs (the 5th is the recharm (charm-twist-twist-twist-twist-charm). But I can judge about where I'm at if I got bashed or had lots of missed notes or something. I've gotten really good at recharming just as the old one fades so I take a single melee round or less between charms. Its much more calm than the Russian roulette enchanters play with hasted pets.
9. Melee party: haste + mana regen + mob slow (usually has -AC mod too) + whatever. Caster party: mana song (pre-55, as often as possible) + self haste + applicable resist debuff(s). Raids: Resists + mana + Runes. If you have the mana, charm > mez. In my perfect group, I'm puller and CC, and someone else gets to worry about haste/slow so I can pull faster. Feel free to pull multiples and CC them on the way back to camp. Get to camp with 1 mob (maybe 1 and a charmed pet) and CC as the others filter in. Don't go all monk and ONLY solo pull.
10. IMO, epic resists/stats > Nivs. Also, epic STR+ATK still stacks even if the haste doesn't.
11. It sucks, I think my least favorite song is McVaxius' Rousing Rondo, IDK why but I fizzle that song all the time.
12. Alternate charm. Charm resets aggro, so charm the other guy when charm wears off to keep them fighting each other. Charm mob1, send on mob2, DoT mob2, charm mob2, send on mob1, DoT mob1, recharm mob1. The DoT damage will still go off even though the mob is now an ally. And they'll beat up on each other instead of you because charm cleared all the DoT and charm aggro.
Last edited by falkun; 12-10-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
7) How well do bards tank at 50+ ? At 25 obviously the fungi fixes everything. At least in my experience on Sak whether or not the mob is slowed totally annihilates any AC/HP difference, and it really doesn't seem that high anyway: our wiki quotes Arrisard at 880AC, Sakuragi at 960, and Sworen at 980 (although all those numbers are off, Sak is like 985 in raid gear). I would think that a Bard with a fungi tanking a 35% slowed mob would do substantially better than a Warrior tanking a 0% slowed mob, plus the bard has no aggro issues with Selos CC. On Sak I was never able to taunt off a bard doing Selos CC. Granted Sak had like 130 unbuffed dex, but it feels like SCC might have the same aggro as a regular slow?
In a pure tanking comparison, bards fall a tad behind rangers while still being much better than priests or intelligence casters. But like you said, there's more to it than a straight skills comparison when you take into account our various utilities if they are a part of an "either-or" comparison. A consistent 35% slow is a scale turner on it's own, as you said. I think we're very comparable if not preferable in that kind of "either-or" situation, especially in groups without heavy slows.

Overall I've never had trouble tanking anything that was typical of an exp group for my level, but I also focused more on AC HP and wasn't one of them DEXCHAAGI hippies. With a few gear switches I have on me, I can pull 940ish AC with similar HP (2400ish) but lose out a bit on the resists/dual wield. I could do even more AC, but then I'd start eating more into my big HP slots and those trade offs just don't seem as appealing since bards come light on HP. While still tough, juggs are a bit less of the wrecking force they once were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splorf22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
8) Do the unsynchronized ticks make mez/charm durations more consistent? (Model A: every bard song lasts 18 seconds, or Model B: the NPCs are on separate threads which so its even more random than before).
It's been pretty consistent for me, I really only get message desyncs on large PBAE spam.

Quote:
9) Stop dodging my question arrisard! It's reasonable that there is no 1-size-fits-all set of songs, but there should be a few different common twists for different levels/situations.
Mes and DA are always up, and both Selo's if outdoor or lull + invis if indoor. Sometimes I'll switch in charm for lull or invis or one of the selo's if it's called for.

Then for the other four slots in experience groups, cover any snares/slows/hastes that need to be done, then regen(s), and then I add whatever pieces of flair suit the group the best depending on the melee/caster ratio in the group or resists if it's a caster rich mob area. Raids, honestly, is mostly stacking mana in downtime, then maxing a single resist or two during the fight and some regen/rune if everyone hasn't maxed their buff slots by then. Soloing, that can go a whole bunch of different ways depending on what you want to do.

Quote:
10) Assuming that you are grouped with an enchanter/shaman and don't have to sing haste, is the Epic really that much better than the Breath of Harmony for xp groups? Its 80% on the stats that arguably are the least important (no mana regen, no attack/movement slow, no haste) and you lose an entire song in the Niv's click. 10/18 probably isn't that much worse than 16/26 for melee damage, although of course you are losing out on a ton of stats.
Unless the bard has no chance to melee at all every couple minutes for some reason, an epic bard will replace shamans on haste duty as well [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyways.

The real deal breaker for me with Niv's was that it didn't stack with Psalm of Mystic Shielding. Pre-epic that song is ok, but becomes much more appealing when you have that singing mod available on the epic and becomes worth playing on it's own in the twist rotation and simply makes up for the unmoddable Niv's click and a whole lot more, enough to justify it that it'd get played for a lot of general exp group situations and any raid that called for MR. Otherwise ultimately you could just swap the BoH in for the old switch'n'click and have it all. Well, when it isn't busy not stacking with Shield of Song, either. So, yeah, I sold it a couple weeks after I got the epic.

Quote:
11) I seem to be missing notes ALL the time. Like if I had to guess I miss notes a solid 25% of time on Solons Song of the Sirens at 27.
I haven't done any parsing, but my gut doesn't feel like DEX contributes enough to justify the loss of stats you'd have to give up to gain a significant decrease in missed notes. Even if I did I don't have anything to compare it to from Live to see if it's right or wrong, but it'd still be nice to know just how much that DEX buff helps, or rather confirm my suspicion it doesn't help a lot.

Quote:
12) I charm solo a lot on my enchanter so of course I experimented a bit with it on the bard. I have no problem with charming in groups (usually with 1 add i just charm instead of Kelins) but solo it utterly sucks without root. If i snare thing two to make recharming easier, it comes for me and doesn't attack the other. Even 1 add just utterly screws me, although I suppose it gets better with Crissions at 28. I even though well, I can just run away while recharming but it seems the hitboxes here are so fucking big that doesn't work well. I'm curious if anyone has really gotten this to work.
I am terrible at charm soloing. Charm is awesome for me as a pulling and CC tool, but soloing with it the way people describe is just not my thing at all.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Fire Giant

Charm doesn't clear all aggro. Maybe most if it, but not all of it.

For reference, do swarm kiting. If you have, say, 10 mobs in a swarm, if you charm mob A, he'll get beat on by the rest. If you then charm mob B, all the other mobs will attack mob B, but A will be coming for your lunch money unless you sent mob B on mob A.

If you have 2 mobs, it'll still take time for mob B to get aggro on mob A if mob A was previously charmed. While if you keep charming the same mob, it'll only take 1 hit to regain aggro.

---

As you can see from the songs lists, each bard has their own favorite setup. I, for example, prefer to stay in camp and play CC/Regen, while Deejay mentions he prefers to chain pull. So our setups are both fairly different.

I've also found the shield song not worth it if I'm twisting 4+ songs IMO. That extra 20 damage is minuscule to the extra resists I can stack on, or the extra regen from the second clarity song. Especially since on raids almost everyone in my group has maxxed out their buff slots.

---

Also, I didn't mention it, but the 3 drum single target DOTS are hellavu lot better DPS than melee'ing, atleast pre-epic. With Selo's drum, I pull off 182 damage every ticket, which equates to sustained 30DPS. I haven't tried the other dots on top of it yet, as usually my other two songs in a solo twist are fear/snare, but if those stack too you can get up to a sustained 40DPS. Which for a soloing bard, isn't too shabby.

This of course only works for a single bard on a mob, as the dots don't stack with themselves.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Alright, thanks for the answers guys! I think I have a pretty good idea of how I *should* be playing my bard at least [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
in words of anal fingers, just a filthy spaniard
Closed Thread