Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 06-30-2023, 02:05 AM
Banned

Your right Lampolo. I see the error of my ways after reading your stimulating questions of others that play p99 better than you. How could I be so silly about warriors in trios all this time. The best class for trios in this twenty four year old game was right under my nose this whole time. The Warrior class! Silly me.

Where can I sign up for your guild oh wise leader?
Old 06-30-2023, 02:15 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are they going to be regularly pulling that can't be pacified?
Casters. As soon as a failed fd happens it’s dirtnap time.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Something you can’t do while you meditate.
The point is that you don't NEED a melee to pull, and you don't need to be medding 24/7 on a Necro in this trio. You are contributing largely mana-free DPS from your pet, Lich is constantly returning mana and you can get more than enough med time during kills to sustain both your health and your mana pool. As far as pulling goes, there's no functional difference between you shooting an arrow at a mob and a Necro hitting it with a level 1 Siphon Strength (which costs a whopping 5 mana). Both can be sustained indefinitely, but in addition to being able to pull, the Necro also offers a FUCKLOAD more utility than the Warrior. And a trio, even with double charm pets, isn't killing fast enough to require non-stop chain pulls into camp like a full group ideally does. Also, if you envision your Warrior primarily running around chain pulling, why the fuck aren't you just playing a Monk to begin with?

Warrior offers basically nothing to this group, to the extent that I'd honestly rather have a Wizard in the third slot instead. Snare, ports/evacs, spike DPS to burn mobs, backup stuns, flux staff pulling/aggro kiting provide actual value and needed utility. Warrior is literally just a warm body pulling mobs while providing sub-par tanking and DPS.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:23 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The point is that you don't NEED a melee to pull, and you don't need to be medding 24/7 on a Necro in this trio. You are contributing largely mana-free DPS from your pet, Lich is constantly returning mana and you can get more than enough med time during kills to sustain both your health and your mana pool. As far as pulling goes, there's no functional difference between you shooting an arrow at a mob and a Necro hitting it with a level 1 Siphon Strength (which costs a whopping 5 mana). Both can be sustained indefinitely, but in addition to being able to pull, the Necro also offers a FUCKLOAD more utility than the Warrior. And a trio, even with double charm pets, isn't killing fast enough to require non-stop chain pulls into camp like a full group ideally does. Also, if you envision your Warrior primarily running around chain pulling, why the fuck aren't you just playing a Monk to begin with?

Warrior offers basically nothing to this group, to the extent that I'd honestly rather have a Wizard in the third slot instead. Snare, ports/evacs, spike DPS to burn mobs, backup stuns, flux staff pulling/aggro kiting provide actual value and needed utility. Warrior is literally just a warm body pulling mobs while providing sub-par tanking and DPS.
Everything is gonna depend where you fight. Sure if you can get single pulls but if things go south a monk can fd. I never been in an efficient group where a monk or bard is not pulling.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never been in an efficient group where a monk or bard is not pulling.
Do you feel your reported experiences here may be a reflection on the limits of your experiences?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-30-2023, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPlays [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everything is gonna depend where you fight. Sure if you can get single pulls but if things go south a monk can fd. I never been in an efficient group where a monk or bard is not pulling.
So can a Necro, though?

Maybe you misread me. I am advocating for a Necro as the third wheel, not a Wizard. I was just saying that even a Wizard would be preferable to a Warrior, because the Wizard legitimately brings a decent amount of utility to the trio, while the Warrior brings basically nothing to the table. Worse tanking and DPS than the Enchanter pet, no CC, no healing, no FD. Literally just an XP sponge whose biggest contribution is pulling (which a Monk could do much better, and which several other classes could do just as well).
Old 06-30-2023, 03:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you feel your reported experiences here may be a reflection on the limits of your experiences?
No. Been playing since 1999 and generally good groups are pulling with monks and or bards. I have been in groups where other tanks pull but are not as efficient
Old 06-30-2023, 03:45 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So can a Necro, though?

Maybe you misread me. I am advocating for a Necro as the third wheel, not a Wizard. I was just saying that even a Wizard would be preferable to a Warrior, because the Wizard legitimately brings a decent amount of utility to the trio, while the Warrior brings basically nothing to the table. Worse tanking and DPS than the Enchanter pet, no CC, no healing, no FD. Literally just an XP sponge whose biggest contribution is pulling (which a Monk could do much better, and which several other classes could do just as well).
I’m just saying the necro is squishy. One caster hitting you while fd is gonna be bad times.
Old 06-30-2023, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I’m just saying the necro is squishy. One caster hitting you while fd is gonna be bad times.
Necros have options. If their FD fails they can get up and harmshield. That is enough time for FD to pop up and you can try again.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
True, but an untwinked Monk is not going to fare much better against casters when things inevitably go south.

But with Ench/Cleric both pacifying as needed, Mez, Screaming Terror from the Necro, two DAs on the Cleric, Harmshield on the Necro and two pets to help pull... the group really shouldn't have much of an issue pulling most content very safely.