Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Resolved Issues

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Sarnak

Once you get them, they should add them into the start-up guide. Or at least sticky the post for it?

I'd suggest making a new thread w/ the files/examples, and letting it become a sticky. Link to that thread in a post here.

Great work though! What did you have to do to fix it?
Old 06-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Developer

Here is the patch to apply the helm fix. Simple extract the files to your EQ 99 directory and run "patch.bat". If you're uncomfortable running the patch executable, I am using JojoDiff. You can download and replace the executable yourself from the source.

After you've run patch.bat, you can delete the files jptch.exe and global_chr.s3d.patch.

http://3dfolio.com/files/eqc_patch_helm.zip

And here's how it works:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The current EQ client seems to be a mishmash of an old and a new method. Previously, transparency was determined by the color value of the first index in the 8-bit color table of the texture file. It would appear that at some point an additional check was added which verifies if transparency exists by setting to bottom left two pixels to the same color.

The two pixels at the bottom left appear to be required by the half-elf plate helm but not the male human plate helm. I don't know why.

Another oddity is that the index for the male plate helm was already the correct color but did not provide any transparency. By changing the color to #FF00FF (magic pink), transparency was enabled. Simply by adding two pixels to the bottom left of the half-elf plate helm enabled transparency. Magic pink was no required but was added for clarity.

The female human plate helm shares the same texture as the male human plate helm but does not use transparency. As a result of enabling transparency for the male plate visor a small porthole has appeared in the back of the female plate helm. I cannot find a way to disable transparency on a per-model basis so there may not be a fix for this:

This is a minor result of the change and is purely cosmetic. It is hypothetically possible to adjust the mapping on the object itself but there are no tool available to do so. You can decide for yourself if you prefer helms with no visor or the occasional porthole for the female plate helms.

But in the meantime, at least you'll be able to see:

I've also added a fix for the eye of zomm. This has been bugging me for a long time. This fix should also propagate to the evil eye models too:

Last edited by Ropethunder; 06-13-2010 at 12:18 AM..
Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

+1000 classic points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Developer

I've removed the patch temporarily while I modify the bat file a bit. I wrote it to delete your old global_chr.s3d which means that you won't be able to apply a future patch based off of the original file.

I'm reworking it now to preserve the old version for future patching.

If you've already applied the previous patch, please restore an old global_chr.s3d, if you have one, or reinstall the client to get it back.

Also keep in mind that this patch will most likely fail if you try to use it with anything other than the titanium client.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Planar Protector

It's worth noting that this fix will likely somehow mess up helms on *female* characters, which already work correctly.

EDIT: Suspicion seems confirmed; I snagged the patch before it was removed. Patch fixed male helms, but on human female created a sort of 'porthole' in the rear of the helm. I'll still take that since I play male characters only.

Another edit: Here's a pic of aforementioned glitch on human female.

Neither I nor my wife have any half-elf characters so we couldn't check half-elf females.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 06-09-2010 at 06:36 PM..
Old 06-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Developer

Quote:
It's worth noting that this fix will likely somehow mess up helms on *female* characters, which already work correctly.
I may have a fix for this. Working on it..
Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Developer

I've sent a message to nilbog asking about how to address this. It would appear than the human male helm uses transparency while the female helm does not. But they share the same texture.

I wonder if from the server end the transparency can be disabled from one model to another. Or if the female helm can be set to use a different texture instead.

As it stands, I see no way that both of these models could use the same texture with transparency. It just doesn't work with how the female helm is textured.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Sarnak

AFAIK, the server has nothing to do with telling the client what to do with ANYTHING related to textures. That is purely done by the client itself. The server doesn't control transparency either.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Developer

How is it that I've seen guards with the texture on their helmet wrapped the wrong way around? I thought maybe that was related.

Does anyone have any close up shots of a human female plate helm from the front and the back?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

"Does anyone have any close up shots of a human female plate helm from the front and the back?"

I can make one if you need one, if nobody else can/will. What do you need exactly, the default/installed Titanium version, or your slightly broken patched version? How close up do you want the shot?

Danth
Closed Thread