Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Fire Giant

lol @ bullet
Old 06-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Lunch break till 12 am ET I think.

Didnt sound like Tony Hayward have many answers, hope they have some good questions for him.
Last edited by bullet; 06-17-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Old 06-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Fire Giant

secrets was OP, but its so funny i had to bring it here

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[50 Warrior] Rumzuck Umbatsch (Ogre) <Remedy>
[34 Druid] Vito Corleone (Wood Elf) <Europa>
[35 Necromancer] Torak (Dark Elf) <Europa>
[13 Shadow Knight] Rumzerg (Dark Elf) <Europa>

EQEmuLauncher
Have your files up to date, switch between servers nice and easy, and more!
http://moestaverne.com/

Old 06-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Kobold

Drilling at 5k feet presents problems shallow (500') drilling doesn't.

Any guesses as to why they were drilling at 5k?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toony [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Drilling at 5k feet presents problems shallow (500') drilling doesn't.

Any guesses as to why they were drilling at 5k?
Theyre running out of Oil along shorelines and on land. Thats not a scientific affirmation, thats what i could muster from reading recent articles about the spill here and there.

I understand its the same reason why theres an industry in Alberta about extracting oil from bitumous sands (spelling).
Old 06-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Theyre running out of Oil along shorelines and on land. Thats not a scientific affirmation, thats what i could muster from reading recent articles about the spill here and there.

I understand its the same reason why theres an industry in Alberta about extracting oil from bitumous sands (spelling).
"Running out" is a relative term, but yeah it isn't getting any easier to drill shallow. There are still relatively large amounts of oil inland, but environmental concerns typically outweigh rights to those wells. One contributing factor to why they were out there is the 'Deep Water Royalty Relief Act'.

Ya know when you think about it, which is an easier accident to address, one on land or one at 5k feet deep?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

I was 14 when the Exxon Valdez spill hit, i was fucking shocked to see the consequences and decided to use public transportation instead of a car. I knew if i ever learned to drive and got used to it id probably never go back to public transportation so i didnt. I just turned 35 and never drove a car except these 2 times at 16 where i drove a stolen car for shits and giggles that was abandoned in a park. The problem was known 20 years ago and they didnt switch.

The problem is that oil companies dont want to change. Theyre comfortable in getting their piles of money and they are entrenched in this position that they wanna keep drilling and polluting to their hearts content cuz thats how they make money and fuck you if you dont like it.

What we need is some politicians with backbone who are going to bitchslap these motherfuckers. Tony Hayward should do hard time in Jail. Then well see him and other CEOs act nonchalant about 11 people dying and flooding 3 states with beached oil? Not likely. The thing is that theres no consequences.

What we need is energy companies stopping being oil companies. Some guy just got a Nobel prize for inventing Windows that are transluscent but still produce solar energy. Its time to plaster New York City with those windows and step into the 21st century.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reason they are extracting from the Athabasca Oilsands, is that it contains about 1.7 trillion barrels of bitumen in-place, comparable in magnitude to the world's total proven reserves of conventional petroleum.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excision Rottun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The reason they are extracting from the Athabasca Oilsands, is that it contains about 1.7 trillion barrels of bitumen in-place, comparable in magnitude to the world's total proven reserves of conventional petroleum.
Ahh, i see.

Ive heard it said that its responsible for releasing more climate warming gas than any other methods, but not a scientific opinion here either.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Fire Giant

That is true depending on who you ask (environmentalists vs. oil companies)

They do release aprox. 40% of all the greenhouse gasses in Alberta.

As well the operations there currently divert 359 million m3 of water from the Athabasca River, or more than twice the volume of water required to meet the annual municipal needs of the City of Calgary (current pop. 1.3million people)

More info here.
Closed Thread