Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4z3r [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
While your numbers are all correct (except for 'x = 1.96x,' that's off a bit), you're not taking into account the way leveling actually happens. Let's take the example of the HFL-WAR grouping with the IKS-SK: it's impossible for them both to level to 60 while in the same group, because the Iksar will stop gaining experience when the Halfling out-levels him too far. Similarly, the Iksar can't then pick up a level 1 Halfling, because the Halfling won't gain experience in that group.
You missed one of my simplifying assumptions that all mobs give the same amount of experience to everyone regardless of level/exp/race/class. The purpose of this example wasn't to show the details behind how level affects experience distribution, just that exp totals and your level don't change depending on your leveling method. Of course level matters when making your groups.

x(halfling war) = 1.96x (iksar sk)

I suppose i could have used different notation. Looking back I should have said iksar sk = 1.96(halfling war) instead of labeling the x's
Last edited by maestrom; 07-20-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Old 07-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Kobold

Make the delimiter ", " not ","

Although I am particularly picky as a DB architect.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandward [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make the delimiter ", " not ","

Although I am particularly picky as a DB architect.
What are you talking about Sir? Its a table... are you using some crazy wiki skin or something?
Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Planar Protector

I'd just like to point out that that same halfling warrior and iksar SK, if they started grouping together at level TWO, would reach 60 at the same time.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd just like to point out that that same halfling warrior and iksar SK, if they started grouping together at level TWO, would reach 60 at the same time.
I am 99.99% sure that's not how it works.

I would be interested to see a test though. Hybrids and those races were supposed to level much slower than other race class combos. I was under the impression (though I haven't seen the real numbers) that when a mob died, exp was distributed more or less evenly and the adjustment for exp totals was only part of the distribution equation instead of being the only factor.

I see the reasoning behind your argument though. It's possible that the game will take a look at the exp total of the entire group, assign weights to each character in the group based on their contribution to that group exp total, and then divide exp from that mob to each player based only on their weight. The only reason i think this is not the case is I remember leveling my bard and watching group mates catch and pass me in exp (no deaths). This can't happen in the above model because in that case, no player should ever catch or overtake another player when grouped with them.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am 99.99% sure that's not how it works
According to this guide, that's how it works.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Planar Protector

Estu is right. But if either of them hands in crushbone belts or does other exp-giving quests then they won't level at the same rate. That's probably why he specified level 2, since the turn-in item gives you exp.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazortag [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Estu is right. But if either of them hands in crushbone belts or does other exp-giving quests then they won't level at the same rate. That's probably why he specified level 2, since the turn-in item gives you exp.
I actually specified level 2 because of a point made in an earlier thread: if EXP is divided according to TOTAL EXP, then a level 1 halfling and a level 1 iksar always grouping together will always have the same amount of EXP each, since they both presumably start at 0. Then the halfling really would level much faster than the iksar. If you get them both to 2, though, then they will have EXP proportional to their EXP penalties/bonuses.

However, maybe the EQ devs took this oversight into account and made some fix for the level 1 case, like starting out everyone with some unseen starting EXP proportional to their EXP penalty/bonus. Anyway, it's kind of a stupid special case; what's important is if you both start at level 2, at least, then you'll both reach level 60 at the same time.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Sarnak

That's really weird. Makes the math simpler though.
Closed Thread