Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen
Some nerds love the racing. Other nerds don't want to race and just want to kill dragons.
Don't be disingenuous. I'd say there are maybe 30 people on the server who actually enjoy racing, 300 people who don't mind logging in at all hours for batphones and tracking a bit here and there, and 3000 who think the current 'competition' is fucking stupid. These groups are not equally distributed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki
48+ hour variance please. Would help kill off a lot of this contrived racing BS.
Any amount of variance will always make tracking/FTE the primary means of competition and wall staring the only skill that matters. Only rotations and repops prioritize actual EQ gear/coordination/skill etc.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinaki [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, yeah, rotations where entire guilds could focus on streamlining their class skill instead of Crown of Rile spam would be ideal. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. WTB rooted raid targets?
I think rooted raid targets would be hilarious. But all that would do is shift the strategy. Guilds would just create a massive train down from the raid target, run their raid force up, and keep reaggroing their train until they're done, and then evac out.

I can't think of any way to force a trash clear mechanically on this server unless you implement lazy/forget aggro distances that live currently has.

@Raev, I don't think I was being disingenuous. There are probably closer to 50-60 people who enjoy racing, and 500ish who are on a Batphone and respond at varying hours of the day. I didn't suggest they were equivalent size... And lol @ the notion that there are 3,000 people in addition to the above nerds, let alone 3,000 who check the boards and are privy to the state of raiding on this server.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And lol @ the notion that there are 3,000 people in addition to the above nerds, let alone 3,000 who check the boards and are privy to the state of raiding on this server.
Daldaen, your replies in this thread are making me very sad. It's obvious with even a small amount of back-of-the-envelope math that there are far more than 3000 people who play Project 1999 semi-regularly.
  • Rogean claims 1 million unique ingame names. Conservatively assuming 20 names squatted per player, that's 50,000 players. More likely is over 100,000 over the course of the server
  • Project 1999 has 1300+ players online at peak; are you seriously suggesting that nearly 50% of the active players on the server all log in at 6PM every day?
A much more reasonable estimate is 10-15 thousand unique players per month. And I'm sure most of them have at least heard about the raid scene, probably from the twink monk who was stomping all of MM's pond camp. The insane competition of the raid scene percolates down and infects other interactions.

TLDR: playing Mario Kart to decide who can kill pixel dragons is fucking stupid, and the vast majority of players on the server recognize this, including you before your exposure to weapons grade Pixels
Old 08-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Planar Protector

Mario Kart has turtle shells you throw at your opponents - p99 racing is lacking fun features such as this [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mario Kart has turtle shells you throw at your opponents - p99 racing is lacking fun features such as this [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This guy used to be a pretty good turtle shell.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

I just don't understand how anyone can possibly enjoy staring at the screen for 16 hours waiting for something to happen. And I don't think anyone really does; racers are simply addicted to the dopamine of yellow text, status within the guild, and increased pixels.

And yeah, no CSR VP was a lot more interesting than the current setup. It would be fun to try no CSR NTOV for a week; I'd be curious to see what happens.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any amount of variance will always make tracking/FTE the primary means of competition and wall staring the only skill that matters. Only rotations and repops prioritize actual EQ gear/coordination/skill etc.
Here's the thing though: in its current form,the tracking windows are short enough that players are willing to put up with the windows, and long enough that guilds usually reward trackers pretty well. Extend the windows to +- 1 week (300+hours) and guilds that lock down targets face a bit of a quandary when it comes to their dkp system, as they need to reward trackers much more, but not incentivize it so much that trackers win everything (then others wouldn't log in for kills.) Plus almost every target is in window all the time, so guilds would have to employ lots of trackers to keep content on lockdown. You'd probably just see a few elite targets perma tracked, while lots of other targets would sometimes be up for a while.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Daldaen, your replies in this thread are making me very sad. It's obvious with even a small amount of back-of-the-envelope math that there are far more than 3000 people who play Project 1999 semi-regularly.
  • Rogean claims 1 million unique ingame names. Conservatively assuming 20 names squatted per player, that's 50,000 players. More likely is over 100,000 over the course of the server
  • Project 1999 has 1300+ players online at peak; are you seriously suggesting that nearly 50% of the active players on the server all log in at 6PM every day?
A much more reasonable estimate is 10-15 thousand unique players per month. And I'm sure most of them have at least heard about the raid scene, probably from the twink monk who was stomping all of MM's pond camp. The insane competition of the raid scene percolates down and infects other interactions.

TLDR: playing Mario Kart to decide who can kill pixel dragons is fucking stupid, and the vast majority of players on the server recognize this, including you before your exposure to weapons grade Pixels
Assuming my views be swayed by exposure to pixels saddens me.

The competition on this server has always been dumb and not my cup of tea. I liked the being rushed aspect of it, but couldn't give any less cares to what guilds to kill what. Instances were without a doubt the best thing to ever happen to EQ. Without those, every way of determining who gets bosses is going to be dumb. I've always been partial to the challenge being the actual event design rather than getting to stake your claim to being able to engage said event. Which is why I'm so very pro-Luclin/PoP/Every expansion up until SoF when they started with dumb itemization crushing the mid-tier raiding incentive.

I honestly do think a good chunk of the population you see every night prime time are people who play daily on this server. I also do think that a sizeable portion of those who play casually maybe once or twice a week, don't have maxed level characters and honestly don't discuss / care about the raid scene at all. I can't say I've ever seen the raid scene come up or be discussed in some low level zone, not that I frequent them much lately.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEizf2S9As

The sad reality is that unless staff enforces a straight up rotation, the competition will always keep getting more and more cutthroat to a point where the rules are stretched to their absolute limit. One guild wants it just a bit more than the other, so they take one step further to gain an advantage, so the other guild follows suit, until they're both eventually sitting ontop of the spawn point. Out of all the 72h window autofires, Coth ducking garbage, herpaderp non CSR VPs and FTE without logic or fairness that have gone on before as raidscene meta, running for merbs with 1h mercy timer is pretty damned light and easy.

On topic, VP is imo harder since it requires a key to enter, the wurm splitting and random abilities mechanics can be pretty mean and unpredictable, roaming named dragons, can't get out without getting to the exits or rezzing outta there. Boss encounters in ToV need more bodies and you need proper class composition instead of 30 random whatever classes to throw at the 32k hp mob, but overall would say VP is far more demanding.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Planar Protector

So...this is why instancing got invented.