Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes but that doesn't benefit Karsten.
He wants more Russet or PoHate, not a robe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a set of lustrous russet armor -- so this isn't for me
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Finawin

Haters will hate regardless!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did say one or the other, didn't I?
Show me where my statement is false.
Last edited by guineapig; 02-03-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by guineapig [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did say one or the other, didn't I?
Show me where my statement is false.
The unstated conclusion (and purpose) of your original statement is that Karsten only wants what directly benefits him.

But, he proposed 2 options that will make him happy.
One of those options does not directly benefit him.

Therefore he is happy with an option that does not benefit him.
Therefore the unstated conclusion, and purpose, of your original post is completely wrong.

You can thank PHL 363: Informal Logic from 5 years ago for that thrashing.

P.S. I still hate Karsten
Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Planar Protector

I'd also like at this time to mention the fact that paladin armor doesn't drop in PoH, and I also already have a full set of valorium.
Last edited by karsten; 02-03-2010 at 08:54 PM..
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabamf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The unstated conclusion (and purpose) of your original statement is that Karsten only wants what directly benefits him.

But, he proposed 2 options that will make him happy.
One of those options does not directly benefit him.

Therefore he is happy with an option that does not benefit him.
Therefore the unstated conclusion, and purpose, of your original post is completely wrong.

You can thank PHL 363: Informal Logic from 5 years ago for that thrashing.

P.S. I still hate Karsten
I didn't want to get into this but:

if 1 part of an A or B statement is true, then the statement is true.

As far as the benefit goes, not every member of his guild is geared up like he is so gearing up the guild could conceivably also benefit him in his quest to be more uber.
(I never said anything about a direct benefit...)

So the statement was not false.
Last edited by guineapig; 02-03-2010 at 09:36 PM..
Old 02-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Sarnak

It's not an A or B statement, it's an A AND B statement.

Quote:
Yes but that doesn't benefit Karsten.
He wants more Russet or PoHate, not a robe.
Stated premise: Cryo robe doesn't benefit Karsten.
Unstated, but implied premise: Karsten only wants what benefits him.
Stated premise: LR satisfies him AND PoH satisfies him.

Unstated Conclusion: Both LR and PoH benefit Karsten

Conclusion follows logically from the premises you provided.

If he only wants what benefits him, and he wants LR back in game, then that implies that LR benefits him.

Quote:
As far as the benefit goes, not every member of his guild is geared up like he is so gearing up the guild could conceivably also benefit him in his quest to be more uber.
Actually you implied it, because cryo robe could benefit IB casters as well, yet you said he doesn't care about cryo robe. If he is happy with LR due to it benefiting his guild, they he'd also be happy about cryo robe due to it benefiting his guild. But you said he doesn't want cryo robe, SOOOOOOO he can't want LR just because it benefits his guild, according to you.

I want people to be accountable for the stupid things they say and not let them weasel out of it when cornered. It's the whole anti-hardcore mentality that is rampant among casual players here, saying some underhanded criticism of a person then backing down when called out. And that's exactly what you're doing. You made some snyde remark about someone only wanting what benefits them, then when called out you back down and try to change what you said.

Sincerely,
Guy with no classes to teach today and entirely too much time to kill
Last edited by Dabamf; 02-03-2010 at 10:31 PM..
Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Planar Protector

Oh Dabamf..

You're giving this guy FAR too much credit. I doubt VERY seriously he understood, much less intended, the (correct) implications he made. Srsly. Most people are somewhat capable of loosely assembling familiar words into a structure which can convey basic meaning, but generally they are incapable of building structures of phrases into anything that remotely resembles a complete sentence. Do you really expect comprehension?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
gearing up the guild could conceivably also benefit him in his quest to be more uber.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabamf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not an A or B statement, it's an A AND B statement.

Stated premise: Cryo robe doesn't benefit Karsten.
Unstated, but implied premise: Karsten only wants what benefits him.
Stated premise: LR satisfies him AND PoH satisfies him.

Unstated Conclusion: Both LR and PoH benefit Karsten

Conclusion follows logically from the premises you provided.

If he only wants what benefits him, and he wants LR back in game, then that implies that LR benefits him.

Actually you implied it, because cryo robe could benefit IB casters as well, yet you said he doesn't care about cryo robe. If he is happy with LR due to it benefiting his guild, they he'd also be happy about cryo robe due to it benefiting his guild. But you said he doesn't want cryo robe, SOOOOOOO he can't want LR just because it benefits his guild, according to you.

I want people to be accountable for the stupid things they say and not let them weasel out of it when cornered. It's the whole anti-hardcore mentality that is rampant among casual players here, saying some underhanded criticism of a person then backing down when called out. And that's exactly what you're doing. You made some snyde remark about someone only wanting what benefits them, then when called out you back down and try to change what you said.

Sincerely,
Guy with no classes to teach today and entirely too much time to kill

You only lost me when you dropped the word stupid. For somebody who is apparently quite educated I would assume that something like that would be beneath you… Apparently not. It does nothing for your argument however and I don’t play the name calling game.

It was an “OR” statement in the fact that he asked for one OR the other. He was not asking for both which would have made it an “AND” statement. Also, your assumption that I was specifically referring to an exclusive benefit is still just that, no matter how you word it.

I can admit that you’re correct that about my oversight about not taking the robe into account when I made my statement, but you loose points in the catergory of debating etiquette. Take whatever implication you will from that statement . [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by guineapig; 02-04-2010 at 12:09 AM..
Closed Thread