Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fade is AA...

Im sure he meant evade. As for it being changed, my memory is hazy about that, but that link alludes to it being the same until the big change.

The problem is, were do you draw the line when you start making changes from "classic"? I don't think you'll find many disagreeing that there were many things that got changed for the better later on. But how do you make the decision on what to change? What happens to all the warriors who can't solo for crap when the hybrid tanks who bring almost everything they have and more to the table don't have an xp penalty?

It seems to me they are trying to keep everything as close as possible to classic as they can. Some things are likely not feasible to be changed, so they weren't. It's about as "fair" as you are going to get.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Orc

Most of the classic features have some merit. Class xp penalties are just bad design. The classes being penalized are mostly inferior to pure classes anyhow. It's especially bad that the current implementation isn't even classic.

There are a few cases where I believe deviating from 1999 standards are warranted:
- Gamebreaking bugs (Boats not working)
- Purely bad design, where hardly any arguments can be made in favor of a mechanic (like class xp penalties)
- Where dynamics are considerably different from live due to lack of players (Like bind/port availability - I would support a very limited and/or expensive automation of these services)
Old 12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

Interesting info on the ships. I agree with that judgment call, all that work just to get the ugly erudin shuttle working in place of the correct ships probably isn't worth the opportunity cost.

I haven't really weighed in on my own opinion on the XP penalty, besides its nuisance factor (which, as noted, isn't correct and will likely go bye-bye thanks to this thread). As such, I'll do so now.

Pre-expansion, they don't hurt. I don't consider them necessary, but I don't consider them entirely out of place, either. Frankly, Paladins and SK's are superior to warriors in all situations outside main-tanking raid bosses when you have a Cheal chain running, and the hybrids aren't even much worse for THAT. Warriors were a pretty crummy class pre-expansion (and were even worse, initially, before they had things like berserker at low health). In addition, hybrids have a few bonuses here they lacked on Live, such as spellcasting not refreshing melee delay (which wasn't in until Velious).

With all that in mind, I can tolerate the penalty, and it wouldn't bother me at all if only my wife's Cleric didn't outlevel my Paladin so bad. You'll never see me say I like it, but it's tolerable in its current form, and will be moreso once group experience is properly allocated.

Once Kunark rolls around, and Warriors are relatively better thanks to things like /disc defensive, I'd re-evaluate the presence of those penalties. Verant did--just slowly (they remained in until Early Velious).

Danth
Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Well, there are several things that are in deviation from canon EQ. Kedge being open (which no one has complained about) I think is the biggest blaring one. Mainly it boils down to this: Keep in mind this is strictly my opinion: Folks are willing to overlook issues they consider minor and focus on things they don't consider minor. Even though some things are CLEARLY not classic, things that are classic will be picked on more greatly cause of a QOL issue. Case in point, XP penalties: Huge target, whereas not a single soul that I've seen has mentioned Kedge being open. To a lesser degree you could say that evade not being mentioned often is another that folks are willing to overlook, but translocators/boats get browbeat.

Where am I going with this? Not sure, but the irony is present to me, that is why this stuff doesn't normally bother me. Folks in general are always willing to overlook faults they can live with and fight against those they deem damning. Nature of the beast. No right or wrong to it, just what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, there are several things that are in deviation from canon EQ. Kedge being open (which no one has complained about) I think is the biggest blaring one. Mainly it boils down to this: Keep in mind this is strictly my opinion: Folks are willing to overlook issues they consider minor and focus on things they don't consider minor. Even though some things are CLEARLY not classic, things that are classic will be picked on more greatly cause of a QOL issue. Case in point, XP penalties: Huge target, whereas not a single soul that I've seen has mentioned Kedge being open. To a lesser degree you could say that evade not being mentioned often is another that folks are willing to overlook, but translocators/boats get browbeat.

Where am I going with this? Not sure, but the irony is present to me, that is why this stuff doesn't normally bother me. Folks in general are always willing to overlook faults they can live with and fight against those they deem damning. Nature of the beast. No right or wrong to it, just what it is.
Hey -- dude. Are you around?

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey -- dude. Are you around?
Newp, at work.

Quote:
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Newp, at work.
Hardly working, or working hard?

it's like you make the atomic bomb (server) and you don't want to let other countries (guilds) have nuclear secrets (under the radar information). it's gm's business and no one else's or else everyone gets nuked. letting Iran or North Korea beta test and keep the successful nukes, makes other countries uncomfortable.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hardly working, or working hard?
Depends on definitions and perspective. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Planar Protector

Golden. You think we're shitting up this thread? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Developer

Quote:
Golden. You think we're shitting up this thread? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think my last post killed it for the moment. But yeah, we need to stfu.

Quote:
Closed Thread