Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who said Ogres were the top tier Godlike no comparison race to end all races?
EVERYONE.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EVERYONE.
Elaborate. Because I don't see how frontal stun immunity is THAT HUGE. The massive Str/Sta scores and Slam maybe, but...
Old 11-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Elaborate. Because I don't see how frontal stun immunity is THAT HUGE. The massive Str/Sta scores and Slam maybe, but...
I've played both an ogre and a troll SK, and the troll felt like a huge downgrade in efficiency. Even with just one mob, you have to time your spells to get them off between the bash rounds. Multiple mobs on you, it's just not happening. Panic situation with mobs about to kill you, you'll be relying on luck to get an FD off.

It's not "THAT" huge, but it is pretty damned awesome, and no doubt best racial ability in the game. On a warrior it hardly matters, but on SK/SHM stun immunity is awesome. People can act like it's not such a huge deal and how they don't get what all the fuss is about, and I'd say they've only seen one side of the fence.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

SK is the only argument I see.

Shamans have slow which greatly reduces occurrence of bashes.
Warrior stuns are annoying but hardly effect your ability to tank at all
SK the FD pull thing is huge, not getting that interrupted is very crucial. That being said, Iksars are very boss... Especially come Velious. Dat Greenmist, so classic, so epic, so many wow.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've played both an ogre and a troll SK, and the troll felt like a huge downgrade in efficiency. Even with just one mob, you have to time your spells to get them off between the bash rounds. Multiple mobs on you, it's just not happening. Panic situation with mobs about to kill you, you'll be relying on luck to get an FD off.

It's not "THAT" huge, but it is pretty damned awesome, and no doubt best racial ability in the game. On a warrior it hardly matters, but on SK/SHM stun immunity is awesome. People can act like it's not such a huge deal and how they don't get what all the fuss is about, and I'd say they've only seen one side of the fence.
If I'm going to play an Ogre as a SK/Warr, it's more because I'm looking at those huge Str and Sta scores, and perhaps even more that Slam racial for the SK, giving me the option to use a 2her and not lose Bash.

Man, I wish one of the Pally races could use Slam. You'd think a Dwarf would be able to with their giantass fists and beefy upper bodies.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Fire Giant

Between Bash and multiple stuns Slam is pretty much unnecessary on a Paladin.

Flash of Light is OP and its even more OP when used in proper conjunction with stuns. FoL doesn't generate hate, it only snaps the mob. Hitting a mob with Stun on the way into camp makes sure he comes right to you (unless an Enc pet gets in the way) Also hitting a mob with Stun mid-fight keeps you high on the hate list, and lets not forget about knocking out nasty spells from Frogloks in Seb etc. Its easy to have two stuns in spellbar and bash, which is plenty.

Root is also awesome. Things are pretty rough with lvl 1 root in your low 50s (doesn't stick at all) but at 54 you get Enstill, which sticks really nicely and for a long time. You can have reliable root pulls as well as nice splits.

Pal and SK are very similar in principal, but quite different in reality. IMHO the magic spells Stun and Root (lets not forget about heals) and their incredible effectiveness in the hands of a good tank completely trump the SK feign death ability. (Yes Paladins can also Calm btw) Fear kite with snare is nice on SK, but Pal can also fear undead, they just need a snare class to help.

They can both snap agro, but thats where the similarities end. It seems the kind of folks who play SK are very interested in damage output on a class that we all know wont deal as much damage as other melees. They are also interested in FD very much. Melee-heavy players seem to steer towards SK and try to make them as much of a "warrior" as possible, but that's never going to happen. Having said that, its very beneficial to go Ogre SK for the stats and frontal stun immunity.

People steer away from Paladin because of how "weak" it is and because you truly have to leverage magic to be excellent. Paladins are not strong, but they can pull, tank, save Enchanters asses on charm breaks, and mitigate NPC caster threat like no other. It just requires a very skilled player.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Kobold

Quote:
If I'm going to play an Ogre as a SK/Warr, it's more because I'm looking at those huge Str and Sta scores, and perhaps even more that Slam racial for the SK, giving me the option to use a 2her and not lose Bash.

Man, I wish one of the Pally races could use Slam. You'd think a Dwarf would be able to with their giantass fists and beefy upper bodies.
don't discount positioning mobs as a tank. as an ogre you can turn while back pedaling to position the mob exactly where you want it. try that as a non ogre and you're gonna whirl til you hurl if you get bashed.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Frankly, since it's all about the pixels, Half-Elf Paladin/Warrior/Bard are the best available race/class combos. With classic graphics no other race looks half as sharp as a Half-Elf in plate, male or female. The only real competition is Ogre or Troll anything, that ass-scratching idle animation makes up for an awful lot of ugly. Dorfs and lizards have all the fugly of an Ogre/Troll with none of the ass-scratching awesomeness.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Frankly, since it's all about the pixels, Half-Elf Paladin/Warrior/Bard are the best available race/class combos. With classic graphics no other race looks half as sharp as a Half-Elf in plate, male or female. The only real competition is Ogre or Troll anything, that ass-scratching idle animation makes up for an awful lot of ugly. Dorfs and lizards have all the fugly of an Ogre/Troll with none of the ass-scratching awesomeness.
This guy gets it.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuljin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stun and Root (lets not forget about heals) and their incredible effectiveness in the hands of a good tank completely trump the SK feign death ability.
Wat? Apple juice is also a better drink than a baked potato?

Or are there SKs out there that somehow utilize FD while main tanking?