Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Sarnak

Like I said they did take XP in classic but nowhere near this much also in classic you didn't need to nuke a mob like a wizard in order to get XP. If I wanted to play a wizard I would go play a wizard and forever be OOM but I play a mage so I don't have to. Love the server can't complain to much but fyi this mechanic is bugged or INCORRECT.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Like I said they did take XP in classic but nowhere near this much also in classic you didn't need to nuke a mob like a wizard in order to get XP. If I wanted to play a wizard I would go play a wizard and forever be OOM but I play a mage so I don't have to. Love the server can't complain to much but fyi this mechanic is bugged or INCORRECT.
Here is what happens when you take five seconds to Google it:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=960

Quote:
In the old scheme, if a pet did more than half of the damage to a monster, it took half the experience reward.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Sarnak

Last edited by Vyal; 10-05-2012 at 04:58 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarackObooma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My mage is my alt but I've played him quite a bit lately and got him to 52 using the below strategy.

#1 get jboots. Before anything else. This will save you countless deaths. Camp them, buy the MQ, whatever, do it before anything else.

The Dreadlands outside Karnors can take you from about 29 to 52 pretty fast even with no dungeon bonus. I went from 47 Saturday morning to 51 Sunday night (and yes I slept). I recommend levitating on top of KC and binding there. If you need to go afk or med, you won't come back to a dead char.

Use your fire pet. You save mana from having to DS. Do not buff him, don't summon or give swords, it's a waste of time/money/mana. Make sure you've done the torch quest.

Mem your highest nuke, a mid level nuke and your level 1 nuke.

Pull with your level 1 nuke. Send your pet after the mob, since it's a level 1 nuke it won't take much for your pet to get aggro. If the mob still comes after you, run around in a circle just out of mob's melee range. Once your pet hits hit once or twice, he'll get on him.

Let your pet do all the damage. Sit and med. Know your mob though. If you know your pet can get the mob down to where he'll start to walk away when they get low, you can sit closer. If you know he can't, sit much farther away.

For mobs that one pet won't finish off like Ravishing Drolvargs (they have twice as many hitpoints as the rest of the mobs in the zone), I'll have my pet on one end of the north or east wall and I'll run to the other end of the wall. This will give you plenty of time to recast a pet when/if he dies. Since you haven't done more than your original 5 pt level 1 DD, your 2nd pet will be able to grab the mob really quickly.

For spiders, I'll pull and once the pet is on him, I'll cast nullify magic to strip their sow & damage shield (many are druid). When you pull them they usually try dotting you with stinging swarm and the fire based dot. Since you'll be sitting most of the time, it's usually not a big deal. You can avoid spiders if you want, most people do. If you hunt in burning woods, many of the sarnaks have sow so it's good to keep a nullify/cancel magic spell up in case something goes wrong you can outrun them.

When the mob starts walking away, you can time it and reclaim your pet (preferably using your torch) when he gets as close to 0% without dying. You'll get good once you know the mobs. You can work on your 1h or 2h blunt also if you want. If it's like 2% or less, I'll usually melee it down. If it's under 10% I'll use my medium nuke. If it's about 15% I'll go ahead and use my big nuke.

Repeat as much as you want because you'll be full mana pretty much the whole time so there is never any downtime. This was the biggest shock for me since my main is a Wizard who quads a round and sits afk for 10 minutes and repeats.

I also powerlevel friends this way. Get the mob to where it walks, kill the pet and whoever does the most damage after that gets the experience. Good experience for level 20+ melee with little to no danger of dying.

If you have a burnt wood staff (mana free 333 dmg nuke), you can kill your pet as soon as the mob flees and use that once to take out the mob.

There is an old wayback machine site that's been linked before Graff? that showed how many hitpoints each mob has.
Do you just carry a crap load of reagents on you then to compensate for this?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonka11 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do you just carry a crap load of reagents on you then to compensate for this?
Yeah, it's good to carry a backpack full of malachites for this. Doable since malachites are cheap.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Aviak

What would you suggest at lower levels then, 4-12, on out dpsing the Fire Pet's Damage. Right now on Whites and Blues, the Fire Pet does such strong melee damage that it is often hard to even compete with his damage. His regular melee attacks are hitting for 8-16 while my nukes only hit for 13 points of damage.

He kills things so quickly that even if I start a reclaim at 50% of the mob's health, he usually kills it outright before it finishes.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 AM
Planar Protector

either duo with another lowbie to remove pet xp penalty, or if you want to solo, reclaim / pet go away him when mob is low life. This will make all previous pet dmg done poof and doing the final dmg will grant you all the xp.
Cerras - Hierophant // Dharkan - Warlock
Kirua - Assassin // Veuve - Gravelord
Tornade - Warder // Fikko - High Priest
Dikkenek - Warlord // Barraki - Crusader
Old 10-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonka11 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would you suggest at lower levels then, 4-12, on out dpsing the Fire Pet's Damage. Right now on Whites and Blues, the Fire Pet does such strong melee damage that it is often hard to even compete with his damage. His regular melee attacks are hitting for 8-16 while my nukes only hit for 13 points of damage.

He kills things so quickly that even if I start a reclaim at 50% of the mob's health, he usually kills it outright before it finishes.
This is easily avoided. Wait until the monster is running. Then back off your pet so it's no longer attacking. Then reclaim energy. Finally, melee or nuke the monster to kill it.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Aviak

Okay will do, bigger question, at what level can I start out damaging my pet persay, and not reclaim him if I don't wish to; or will I always have to reclaim my pet to get full xp?

Do Necromancers have to go through all this red tape as well with reclaiming pets for xp?
Last edited by Wonka11; 10-12-2012 at 06:59 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Okay will do, bigger question, at what level can I start out damaging my pet persay, and not reclaim him if I don't wish to; or will I always have to reclaim my pet to get full xp?
You will always have to reclaim your pet to get full xp while soloing.

Quote:
Do Necromancers have to go through all this red tape as well with reclaiming pets for xp?
Necromancers have many more options for exp due to their comparatively awesome CC and utility, but their summoning is for shit compared to mages. Their pets cost bone chips, a ton of mana, and a lot of time to cast, for a generally inferior pet. Mage pets only cost malachite, 200-400 mana, and always 10 seconds of casting for what is the best dedicated pet in the game.
Closed Thread